Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 06:16 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times

Advertisements

I believe that our current gasoline situation could be easily fixed without people having to make too many changes to their way of life if they would just make two simple changes.

#1. Live within a reasonable distance from their workplace
#2. Trade the Hummers and Excursions for hybrids.

Unfortunately as Americans people WILL NOT make these changes on their own. In fact, most are probably too busy watching American Idol in their McMansions to even realize that their lifestyle is getting ready to cause complete societal collapse in the near future if something doesn't change.

First, I think the government should provide a tax incentive to encourage people to live within a certain distance of their workplace. Second, I think the government should pass a MPG regulation on consumer vehicles, one strict enough to knock out the Hummer, Excursion, and the likes. They should have a special license for low MPG vehicles because some people need them.

The problem is this is a free country and many people would see these acts as infringing on their rights. Is there any way to do this in a free country? If not, is there any way to fix this problem before it causes societal collapse?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2008, 06:17 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
we wont have to. $7.00 a gallon gas is going to do it for us, and soon.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:39 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
The only thing that will stop sprawl is for people who own large tracts of land to refuse to sell it for development. Some people do, but others take the money and buy more land even farther out, and then the cycle continues.

Old 03-07-2008, 06:40 PM

1,482 posts, read 5,173,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
I believe that our current gasoline situation could be easily fixed without people having to make too many changes to their way of life if they would just make two simple changes.

What is this "gasoline situation" you speak of?

How is #1 a "simple change" and who decides what is "reasonable"?

Old 03-07-2008, 06:57 PM

438 posts, read 1,509,014 times
I have been praying to God and all the heads of car companies to create a hybrid that can haul 3 kids in carseats. The second one is made I'm on it. And I know there is a Chevy Tahoe hybrid, but that thing is a joke. It gets the same gas mileage as the vehicle I currently own.

As far as sprawl, I have no control over that. If I had any say in the matter I'd do away with sprawl and revamp inner cities instead.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:01 PM

5,273 posts, read 14,542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunky39 View Post
we wont have to. $7.00 a gallon gas is going to do it for us, and soon.
This is pretty much the answer. SUV's will sell less & less until they aren't even being made any more.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:02 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,231,007 times
The Dutch government gives huge tax breaks if you buy and / or drive 'green' cars. Since most (rich) people don't like to pay taxes, tax breaks does influence their buying behaviour (which is odd since most rich people could afford driving a Hummer).
Also Hummers aren't allowed in some cities, because they have narrow steets ( bigger ain't always better).

Old 03-07-2008, 07:16 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:

Unfortunately as Americans people WILL NOT make these changes on their own. In fact, most are probably too busy watching American Idol in their McMansions to even realize that their lifestyle is getting ready to cause complete societal collapse in the near future if something doesn't change.

First, I think the government should provide a tax incentive to encourage people to live within a certain distance of their workplace. Second, I think the government should pass a MPG regulation on consumer vehicles, one strict enough to knock out the Hummer, Excursion, and the likes. They should have a special license for low MPG vehicles because some people need them.

The problem is this is a free country and many people would see these acts as infringing on their rights. Is there any way to do this in a free country? If not, is there any way to fix this problem before it causes societal collapse?
Do I hear class envy here?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:21 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,758,986 times
Quote:

When gas hits about $5 a gallon most folks will make such changes on their own.

Old 03-07-2008, 07:38 PM

1,725 posts, read 3,114,683 times
And thus, the market corrects itself. Municipalities can change their masterplans to limit sprawl, minimum lot sizing is one way. In a free society building and land ownership should not be unduly restricted. If the government wants to give tax credits to those who drive hybrids (a joke, many "regular" cars get the same gas mileage) more power to them...I'll still be driving around in my gas guzzling SUV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies