Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 05:29 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Truly you have a wonderful talent for jumping to inane exaggeration.

To summarize, if someone doesn't see the calamity in even slightly rolling back heavy-handed and ineffective top-down government controls, that person is now... pro-obesity.

For the record I'm 42 with around 11% body fat and very far from a "Republican." And I love chocolate milk.
By all means, serve the kids junk at school. 17% of kids being obese is just not enough. Bring on that chocolate milk, maybe it can be 20% in a year or two.

In U.S., 38% of adults and 17% of kids are now obese, CDC study says - LA Times
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 05:38 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
By all means, serve the kids junk at school. 17% of kids being obese is just not enough. Bring on that chocolate milk, maybe it can be 20% in a year or two.
Hey, I have an idea. Why not increase the controls even more, make the food even more tasteless and "healthy" so that even fewer kids will eat it? Just make the food as unpalatable as possible. The more kids we can get to turn their noses up at the government-mandated controls, the more kids just not eating. You could cure obesity AND maintain some sort of vague political-moral high ground.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Hey, I have an idea. Why not increase the controls even more, make the food even more tasteless and "healthy" so that even fewer kids will eat it? Just make the food as unpalatable as possible. The more kids we can get to turn their noses up at the government-mandated controls, the more kids just not eating. You could cure obesity AND maintain some sort of vague political-moral high ground.
Or simply do what was already happening which was slowly lower the sodium and fat levels over a period of years. Include more whole grains and vegetables. Not add chocolate and strawberry sugar syrups to milk. Because if the kids are getting increasingly FAT to the point that 17% of the kids in the US are OBESE, there is a problem.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:44 PM

19,717 posts, read 10,107,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
They'll eat lunch if they are hungry. They won't starve. A kid won't know the difference between bread or pasta made of whole grain or refined wheat for lunch unless someone else tells them the difference.
The taste and texture is completely different.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:44 PM

10,920 posts, read 6,904,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Trump unwinding Michelle Obama's school lunch program rules | TheHill

posts claiming 'republicans hate children!' and 'racism!', form a line to the left
So the solution is to go back and give them terrible junk food?

Of course the kids would rather eat chocolate, candy, or ice cream - but that doesn't make it good for them.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post

Of course the kids would rather eat chocolate, candy, or ice cream - but that doesn't make it good for them.
It's absolutely ridiculous. The kids want chocolate and strawberry milk, they want candy and a soda fountain. Never mind that 17% of kids are now OBESE, they want to make them fatter.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:51 PM

Kids are fatter than they used to be and despite the dream that we can solve all problems if we just incorporate enough top-down Federal Government rules, it isn't because of school lunches.

Sorry, this problem is cultural, societal, and generational, and well beyond the power of the government to solve by making sure chocolate milk has 0% fat instead of 1% fat.

Old 05-02-2017, 05:53 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Michelle Obama did not invent her own school lunch program. The program was an emphasis on the Department of Agriculture's dietary recommendations, which have been on the table for more than half a century...those are the recommendations are experts (as opposed to corporations that have high fructose corn syrup to sell).

"Kids and schools" are not "experts" by any means. As a parent, I certainly never let our kids have the final word on what they would eat.
You don't let your kids have ice cream for breakfast? You big MEANIE!

Old 05-02-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyMac18 View Post
You tell me. What's the caloric difference between 8oz of 0% Obama chocolate milk and 8oz of 1% Trump chocolate milk?

Okay, I'll tell you. It's about 20 calories. But you folks think the sky is falling. Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Old 05-02-2017, 06:08 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No I have not. If they are not eating those "5 solid meals a week" there is no difference. If they do eat those meals and 16 other meals a week 365 there is no difference. Either way they are not malnourished.
In the larger scheme of life those meals eaten or not arent making an impact.
I disagree. I think that five solids a week can provide a lot of nutrition. It does need to appeal to children through. A fast meal that I used to give my kids was a grilled cheese with a tomato basil soup, a big side of cut up fruit and a small green salad. Milk to drink. I figured even if they ate junk the rest of the day, I could stuff them full of basic nutrients at dinner.

( my kids were in a high school where we just put money on their books, and they bought whatever they wanted from the cafeteria including pizza and soda every day, if they chose- and they did)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies