Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Humm, they have chocolate milk at my kids school, TruMoo skim.
Yeah and apparently it's a problem because it's not full-fat. I don't let my kids decide they should be able to eat whatever the hell they want at home, not sure why that should be allowed at school. It's just a continuation of the lowest-common-denominator theme over the past few months, now being pushed onto our kids for no other reason than to spite the Obamas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 10:00 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
All of this is like the gluten-free diet. Saw a thing on CBS news last night that said a gluten-free diet was detrimental to your health if you did not need that diet, and less than 5% of people have a problem with glutens.. Also there have been studies saying to limit the amount of soy products because they are not good for your health.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:04 AM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwood66 View Post
Kids were throwing the food away rather than eating it. How cost effective or helpful is that?
There are healthier alternatives that taste better, but school lunches today are nasty.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:07 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Yup. There were ice cream cup and candy options for dessert. But more objectionable were things like corn dogs, pizza dripping in grease (and pizza is not even necessarily a bad food), burgers that had no actual food quality and a ton of condiments...

My kids' school does not get basically what they have always gotten.
Until just 5 or so years ago, the school where I work had a slushy machine! We were forced to remove the drinks that were so popular with the kids...green iced tea, raspberry iced tea, lemonade. and diet iced tea were favorites. They were replaced with sickening sweet fruit juice drinks that have more calories and are even higher in sugar content. We also used to make our own cookies, from scratch, and brownies that were sold ala carte. For holidays, birthdays, special occasions, etc. the students and faculty could order large decorated cookies we made. These were very popular on Valentine's Day. We still sell cookies, but the "healthy approved" dough we have to use now comes in frozen.

We serve a whole grain pizza at our "pizza bar" (one of our lunch stations where the kids can have a choice of 3 or 4 kinds of pizza daily). I can vouch that the pizza is good, because they used us as "guinea pigs" until they found a pizza crust we thought was the best. We used to even make our own pizza dough. (The crust itself we use now comes in frozen, but we do the rest ourselves). We make a delicious chicken white pizza. We use this pizza crust to make strombolis as well.

We have a program called "Build a School Lunch". If the student wants just a chicken sandwich ($2.75), or pizza slice ($1.85) we tell them that if they include a fruit or salad and milk it will count as a mainline lunch and cost them only the same amount as the mainline lunch ($2.00). A good deal, don't you think?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM

3,637 posts, read 1,698,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
You're an MD - surely you recognize that childhood obesity is a much bigger problem today than when we were growing up, yes?

What is bad about not offering relatively unhealthy items for school lunch, exactly?

You want your kids to have Cokes, Doritos and Little Debbies for lunch? Great, pack it for them and don't have them buy lunch at the school cafeteria. What's the problem?

Mexicans never had diabetes until they started eating our American diet of cokes, and other foods. Now, they are starting to experience the same illnesses we have. How people can feel good about relaxing rules meant to keep our kids healthy is beyond me.

Trump eats like a pig, why should any of us be any different ?

Old 05-03-2017, 10:11 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,798,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioToCO View Post
Isn't whole milk plain and white?
It can be any milk in general. When you walk into McDonalds and order a white milk, you don't get a whole milk. It's 1% (my daughter's choice drink other than water). Just like at Burger King, Subway etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Your school district is offering real food, wish more schools took the time and care to do the same.
I wish they would too. The schools my kids went to in NC the food was horrid. Where we are now it looks a bit better, but I have issues with paying 2.50-3.00 for something they may not eat. So they take their lunches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Overall, I am more disturbed by over-processed foods than I am by whole milk, butter, or just about any other "real" food. Remember when people thought margarine was they key to health?

There's room for improvement on both sides of this argument.
This right here. I've sat and talked to people who have lived in other countries. It was surprising that some of the things that are available here on our shelves in the store are not in other countries because it's too processed. Like you, I use real butter. Not margarine. I did clean eating about 8 years ago and learned quite a bit about food. Today I don't eat 100% clean like I did, but still implement many things I learned into our food now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
I don't think k $3.75 Is expensive.
It is $3.45 here for lunch that is not good.

About 6 years ago some districts here tried to do what is sounds like yours is.
With the fresh items and such. It turned out to be to expensive.

Years ago after middle school gym was no longer a mandatory credit class. This burning less calories.
Yep! Years ago I want to say it was Jamie Oliver who went into schools and showed them how to prepare healthy meals and it was cheaper.
My oldest is in middle school and he only had to take 1 semester of PE. He's a very active kid. If he's not playing soccer he's riding his bike or skateboard around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
Yes and when I was in school THANKFULLY the food was good!! (In the 80s)
Very much so. Even now if I get something that tasted like the food from them, it brings back good memories. Even the chocolate milk memories lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
What galled me was this AG secretary claiming the big sticking point was chocolate milk, how kids were demanding it he brought back and, quoting him, "I wouldn't be as big as I am today if it weren't for chocolate milk."
This is a blog, but it's a bit interesting on the milk aspect. I kind of agree with it.
the kids are getting vitamins they need even though the sugar content is higher. It comes down to picking and choosing battles.
Healthy Debate: Chocolate Verses White Milk | Healthy Eats

Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Yeah and apparently it's a problem because it's not full-fat. I don't let my kids decide they should be able to eat whatever the hell they want at home, not sure why that should be allowed at school. It's just a continuation of the lowest-common-denominator theme over the past few months, now being pushed onto our kids for no other reason than to spite the Obamas.
I NEVER heard kids should have true fat milk past the age of one......

Old 05-03-2017, 10:12 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
You're an MD - surely you recognize that childhood obesity is a much bigger problem today than when we were growing up, yes?

That's because they need to stop watching TV, put down their d&mn phones and go play.

What is bad about not offering relatively unhealthy items for school lunch, exactly?

Because 85-90% of the healthy food (that tastes like cr*p) gets thrown away. (I've seen it).

You want your kids to have Cokes, Doritos and Little Debbies for lunch? Great, pack it for them and don't have them buy lunch at the school cafeteria. What's the problem?
What do you have against Little Debbie's Hooligan. Taco Tuesday with a Little Debbie for desert covers ALL the food groups !!

I'd post more, but it's 50 cent Corny Dog day at Sonic and I have 5 bucks in my pocket !!

Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMak70 View Post
Mexicans never had diabetes until they started eating our American diet of cokes, and other foods. Now, they are starting to experience the same illnesses we have. How people can feel good about relaxing rules meant to keep our kids healthy is beyond me.
This has zero to do with kids' health and/or even school lunches and 100% to do with Michelle Obama's work to reduce childhood obesity. If Laura Bush had advocated for healthier school lunches the right would be lauding it as the best thing ever.

That is the entire basis of this ridiculous nonsense spouted by the right that we should be encouraging our children to get fatter and fatter and fatter. Because what they're saying in this thread is, children's health be damned. This is all, and only, about their insane hatred of the former First Lady. Period.

Old 05-03-2017, 10:19 AM

14,682 posts, read 14,648,352 times
Quote:

He's an anesthesiologist, not exactly an expert in nutrition or internal medicine issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies