Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 12:14 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Wonder if they'll start serving beer in high school then, if they're going by student requests.
Wonder if readers know the difference in feedback and requests.
More like serving 1% milk instead of skim milk.
Using some refined grains instead of all whole grain.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 12:14 PM

48 posts, read 23,712 times
It may surprise to some people but there are high schools with good food. Maybe when schools have bad lunches people should blame the cooks instead of nutrition requirements. I some people who make school lunches and I have tried leftovers. It was good food.

Where I went to high school the food wasn't that good because the cooks kept under cooking some of the food. So I blame them instead of the government.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:19 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
So, we should give in to the temper tantrums of kids and feed them what they want on a daily basis?
Ooh, edgy. Let me counter: So, we should 'forcefeed' our idea of nutritious food down their little rebellious throats?

Old 05-02-2017, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
I'm pretty out of touch (no kids and 1993 was the last time I was in a public school), but I wasn't sure if that was still allowed. You hear stories about teachers and other do-gooders taking away certain food items from kids who bring stuff. Glad to hear it's still allowed for your grandson.

I never had school lunch. Maybe a few times in all the years I did public school. I always either brought my lunch or just went without. For the last two years of high school I had split lunch (lunch in the middle of class) and most of us just hung out in the classroom throughout. The cafeteria was foreign to me.That was me.
The only problem I've had (or my gson) is with the cafeteria police and I think that is just because they clash. There was the Catsup incident where he got up and got some packs and the water cooler incident where she tries to strictly limit the amount of water the student can have. Folks in my district know they would have hell to pay it they took the kids packed lunch. The administration is more subtle like removing the microwaves.

In elementary we went home for lunch. In High school I rarely ate lunch (it was pretty nasty then) we hung out in the designated smoking areas and smoked ciggs or slipped off and got a soda and candy bar.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:23 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
Ooh, edgy. Let me counter: So, we should 'forcefeed' our idea of nutritious food down their little rebellious throats?
You don't force feed anyone, anything, but the school system should be responsible for providing access to healthy food. If the kids do not like what the school is providing, they are free to bring their own lunch from home with whatever junk food they want.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIIV View Post
It may surprise to some people but there are high schools with good food. Maybe when schools have bad lunches people should blame the cooks instead of nutrition requirements. I some people who make school lunches and I have tried leftovers. It was good food.

Where I went to high school the food wasn't that good because the cooks kept under cooking some of the food. So I blame them instead of the government.
One of the issues is the use of only whole grains, reduced fat or fat free everything, skim milk and soy butter. When you are not accustom to eating these things they just dont taste good and many kids are not. I personally only drink whole milk, use real butter and dont really care for WG pasta.
But yes I think a lot of it has to do with the cooks and the supplier of the processed food.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
You don't force feed anyone, anything, but the school system should be responsible for providing access to healthy food. If the kids do not like what the school is providing, they are free to bring their own lunch from home with whatever junk food they want.
I get that, but the point of the post you were responding to was if certain kids aren't eating what's offered, that's actually worse than offering stuff with two-thirds of the nutritional value. Just because you provide access to it doesn't mean they'll eat it, unless you force the issue.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:33 PM

3,838 posts, read 1,787,299 times
This is really unfortunate. Children need good nutritious food for growing and learning, giving in to food that is more processed is not going to support the childrens health.

Does this mean there will be less access to fresh fruit, salad bars and the return of the pop machine?

Is there somewhere to read the specifics? Another head of a department making decisions that are really not in the best for that department. This new Department's Secretary of Agriculture Sonny Perdue does not care about improving our health or our childrens health.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:34 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,617,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
35% pf children/teens are overweight/obese.

75% of adults are overweight/obese.

Let them eat cake.
Is that based on BMI? If so, that number is too high. Some would argue that BMI is not the end all be all when it comes to a healthy weight.

That being said this country still has way too many over weight people. I read something not too long ago that said we have the fattest lower class in the world. That is mind boggling.

Old 05-02-2017, 12:35 PM

5,444 posts, read 6,994,146 times
Quote:
I get that, but the point of the post you were responding to was if certain kids aren't eating what's offered, that's actually worse than offering stuff with two-thirds of the nutritional value. Just because you provide access to it doesn't mean they'll eat it, unless you force the issue.
If the kids aren't eating, that is on them and their parents. That part is not the responsibility of the school. The school gives students a place to eat and if they choose, they can purchase a lunch (which should be a healthy lunch). Besides, treat lunch like a business. If you see that since switching food, only half the kids are eating, then you get to cut down on your food costs. If all this is being thrown out the window, why not have schools ditch lunch and let a McDonalds set up shop on campus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies