Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 05:15 PM

12,755 posts, read 9,647,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I buy whole milk.
LOL, I used to buy whole milk until my daughter started putting on weight. I switched to 2% milk, explaining to her that "You're not a baby cow!" Whole milk ensures that calves grow up to be cows.

That made an impression on her, I must say...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 05:37 PM

19,517 posts, read 9,540,055 times
There weren't many school lunches that I disliked. Some I liked more than others. Our family drank whole milk from a local dairy farm. I don't recall if our school had the option of skim or whole milk. I don't think 2% was ever an option either as I didn't learn about that until post HS yrs. Mom (Home Ec Major) assured our meals were balanced. I actually liked eating most of the veggies she prepared.

Other than a little TV watching on weekends and before bed, most of our days were spent playing and riding our bicycles. Elementary school we had recess everyday and Phys Ed (at least twice a week).

Old 05-03-2017, 06:31 PM

4,573 posts, read 6,781,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I know one thing for sure about this whole discussion, and that is that I am sick of people talking about the school lunch program "starving" kids.

You want to see starving kids? Here are some links.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...w=1366&bih=638

Say whatever you want about school lunches, pro or con, but DO NOT say that they are causing children to starve.

I'm through with this debate. Quibbling about skim chocolate milk versus 1%, my God.
The issue isn't starving kids. (A high percentage of them are fat.)

The issue is 85% of the Food going into the trash. (& WE the tax payers are paying for 50-60% of the meals going into the trash). Because everybody's kid.... but your kid and my kid... gets a free lunch.

We're 20 Trillion dollars in debt and are throwing Billions of Dollars of food in the trash every year.

(thanks for warning me about your link....I avoid starving kids & abused pet links)

Old 05-04-2017, 05:09 AM

5,661 posts, read 3,523,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I've never seen any school limit water. My kids drank water at school all the time.

That's your school board -- not the federal policy on providing healthy lunches.
No, it is because of federal policy.

Yes, a school.district can reject the Michelle Obama lunches, but they then loose federal funding.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:21 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalanta View Post
No, it is because of federal policy.

Yes, a school.district can reject the Michelle Obama lunches, but they then loose federal funding.
I can't find where they are restricting water intake. I'm giving up.

I'll take your word for it because as I said a couple of times before...this isn't about making school lunches healthy or not, it's about dismantling a Democratic policy.

Old 05-04-2017, 05:47 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I know one thing for sure about this whole discussion, and that is that I am sick of people talking about the school lunch program "starving" kids.

You want to see starving kids? Here are some links.

https://www.google.com/search?q=star...w=1366&bih=638

Say whatever you want about school lunches, pro or con, but DO NOT say that they are causing children to starve.

I'm through with this debate. Quibbling about skim chocolate milk versus 1%, my God.
Michelle caused kids to starve and waste was rampant. Nothing wrong with PBJ.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
I've never seen any school limit water. My kids drank water at school all the time.

That's your school board -- not the federal policy on providing healthy lunches.
Its the lunch Nazi. We had a situation with the catsup packs too.
Sorry if it sounded like I meant it was federal policy. Its a personal situation. But he is out of there in a couple weeks. Hopefully the cafeteria staff at the High School are more chill.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:36 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gungnir View Post
Get outta here. My Grandparents never had and bread or flour other than eyewateringly bright white until my grandfather (WW2 vet) had a heart attack (only carrying 15 lbs excess weight). Potatoes were fried (often in lard) or mashed with butter and cream. Breakfast contained bacon or it wasn't considered breakfast, and pies, pastries and cakes put the whazzoo. I'd spend a weekend there and put on 20lbs. My parents (60's hippies) were more bean sprouts and lentils, now they're running BMIs in the high 30s.

The pre boomers were all the same that I knew, no whole grains loads of sugar and full fats. We may be less healthy, but it's got little to do with what we're eating, probably more to do with how and how much we eat, and often how little physical activity we have.
Yep. My granny fried everything. She bought lard in what they call a stand (5 gallon bucket) if they didn't render it themselves from killing a hog. I can remember Sunday breakfast menu: fried sausage, bacon, ham, eggs, fried potatoes, fried corn, fried apples, biscuits and gravy, whole milk. White bread, but before that it was always cornbread. About "loaf" bread grandpa had a saying. "If I wanted cake I'd ask for cake". But granny did make the best pound cake with a butt load of butter and eggs.
Grandma lived to 104, no major health problems, not on any meds. Grandpa live to 92, stroke, hereditary. Neither were ever overweight nor was mom (90 lbs soaking wet) or her siblings. But they got lots of exercise and didn't eat a lot of store bought processed food.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:37 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Its the lunch Nazi. We had a situation with the catsup packs too.
Sorry if it sounded like I meant it was federal policy. Its a personal situation. But he is out of there in a couple weeks. Hopefully the cafeteria staff at the High School are more chill.
I assumed that -- the person who claimed it was a federal policy doesn't have kids I bet or is oblivious.

Those lunch room people can be power hungry idiots. Congratulations to your child. Don't blink -- high school is the fastest four years EVER...makes middle school seem like it took a lifetime.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:46 AM

37,104 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
Whole milk (which is what I've seen in schools all the way back to the 80's) has 25g of sugar 200g of sodium (regular milk have 11g sugar and 120 sodium), 1% has 22g of sugar and 220 of sodium (regular milk has 12g of sugar and 130 of sodium). Don't fuss about gatorade because its a bit worse. 35g sugar and 250 of sodium, but yet it is one of the choice hydrator by athletes.
I also do not understand your making a distinction between "whole milk" and "regular milk". The full fat milk sold in US stores is whole milk and appears to be what you are calling regular milk. It has about 12 grams of sugar per 8 ounces. Any milk that had 200 grams of sodium in a serving would be so salty it would be undrinkable. Two grams is almost what you should get in an entire day. Whole milk has about 107 milligrams of sodium per 8 ounces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
He's an anesthesiologist, not exactly an expert in nutrition or internal medicine issues.
I assure you he knows internal medicine. He keeps you alive while the surgeon does his thing. Believe it or not, medical schools do teach nutrition, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamajane View Post
I don't completely agree. Healthy well exercised kids generally should be able to handle a lot of calories, even from junk food and not get fat. Like many of us did as kids. Seriously there were no more than five fat kids in my entire school and zero obese kids, out of hundreds. We ate so much crap, only white bread, only whole milk, all kinds of soda, candy and hostess cakes, lived at McDonalds or the ice cream stand. Ice cream every single day, pop tarts, Snack packs of sugary cereals, then our mothers would fry the meat they cooked for us. Vegetables were usually from a can and we slathered with butter. There seems no reason we didn't blow up, except we did not eat huge portions and we got plenty of exercise every day.

Exercise was not necessarily just playing after school, but walking to school or to a bus stop that could be a distance, running around school yard before bell rang, gym class a few times a week, morning recess, eat lunch then play until bell rings, maybe another recess in the pm, then end of day bolt out of school door to play or walk/run home or do some team sport. Get home, have snack, chores, play outside/ride bicycles with friends, home for dinner, homework, tv, then pass out for the night. I wonder if kids know real physical exhaustion anymore, not the other kind from too much video gaming or texting.

Nothing wrong with eating nutritious food for health reasons - vitamins, fiber, etc. but kids should not be getting fat if they move around enough- it is unnatural for young growing bodies to be so sedentary. A lot of skinny kids now even look flabby, or skinny/fat.
That was my experience, too. My mother was a great cook, Southern style. We had fried chicken, but one small bird fed all four of us, including my father and brother. Vegetables were cooked, usually seasoned with fat. Home made biscuits or cornbread with supper every night. Tossed salad was not a daily thing but reserved for steak nights. Portions of anything were much smaller. Dessert was not served every night but it was not a rarity either.

School lunches were not very memorable for the most part. Fish sticks on Friday, maybe? I do remember a teacher insisting I eat sauerkraut with a hot dog once. She got the privilege of calling my mother and explaining why I threw up at school. Just the smell of the stuff had made me nauseated. I carried lunch to school after that.

Children were not fat when I was growing up because we ate smaller amounts, snacks were limited, and we exercised orders of magnitude more than kids do now.

Quote:
I can't find where they are restricting water intake. I'm giving up.

I'll take your word for it because as I said a couple of times before...this isn't about making school lunches healthy or not, it's about dismantling a Democratic policy.
I can see no reason to limit water unless someone is trying to cut down on trips the kids make to the restroom.

It has nothing to do with dismantling a Democratic policy. The policy was a failure. Too much food was being wasted. Kids and parents (of all political persuasions) complained. Big kids were served the same amount of food as little kids and had to pay more to get enough to eat.

I like fruit. Do not give me a soft, mealy apple or an overripe banana, though. I do not want an orange with a hide so tough you need a machete to get to the actual meat of the thing. DH will eat fruit if you peel it and cut it up for him. He has discovered those little Halo tangelos though and does like those. I suspect children would eat more fruit if it was served ready to eat. Lazy? Perhaps. Isn't the goal getting them to eat?

Schools need to do what parents of picky eaters have learned to do. Camouflage veggies in something else, like pasta sauces. My oldest son is not a big veggie eater, despite my best efforts. His wife puts them in spaghetti sauce and such.

To those who think children will not choose healthy foods, this might be enlightening. It's all in what the choices are and how they are presented:

School nutrition: Hard facts about what kids will eat - latimes

"In an environment where choice rules, we need to make the more healthful choice the more attractive choice, not the only choice."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies