Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 01:55 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
They'll eat lunch if they are hungry. They won't starve. A kid won't know the difference between bread or pasta made of whole grain or refined wheat for lunch unless someone else tells them the difference.
I beg to differ. There are things kids will not eat and they will skip lunch.
And yes one can tell the difference in WG breading and WG pasta. I certainly can and do not care for it.

No one said anything about starvation. Being hungry and starving are not the same thing although the word starving is often used to exaggerate hunger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 01:59 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Oh, for Pete's sake, there have been kids who hated school lunches for as long as there have BEEN school lunches.
Exactly!
Quote:

I've seen pictures of the new meals, and most of them look pretty good to me, and certainly no worse than some of the stuff that was served up when I was a kid.
I wish I could go back in time, because I've suffered a lot with lousy teeth. It all begins when you're a kid. Too much sugar, not enough vegetables and fresh fruits, lousy brushing & flossing habits, and you end up with a mouth full of cavities, constipation, sluggishness and other problems. Even depression can be the result of a poor diet. When children are in their formative years, we shouldn't just feed their minds, but their bodies as well, and it often makes a big difference in how they perform in school.
Quote:
I also have to wonder how many of these people crying about the new school lunch guidelines say, at home, to their own children, if you are hungry enough, you will eat it. I don't think children should be forced to eat anything they truly don't like, but I do think they should be encouraged to try new things, and I also wonder how much of a double standard there is here, when some folks expect their kids to be members of the "clean plate club" at home, but not in the cafeteria.
Good point! Most people don't need to depend on schools to feed their kids, but for many children, it's where they get their most nutritional meal.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Oh, for Pete's sake, there have been kids who hated school lunches for as long as there have BEEN school lunches. There were some I absolutely detested, the worst being greenish hot dogs wrapped in a greasy roll and called "pigs in a blanket." They were vile, and I would not eat them. I wouldn't eat canned spinach, either. Those were the only two items I utterly refused. Other than that, if I was hungry, I ate my lunch.

I've seen pictures of the new meals, and most of them look pretty good to me, and certainly no worse than some of the stuff that was served up when I was a kid.

I also have to wonder how many of these people crying about the new school lunch guidelines say, at home, to their own children, if you are hungry enough, you will eat it. I don't think children should be forced to eat anything they truly don't like, but I do think they should be encouraged to try new things, and I also wonder how much of a double standard there is here, when some folks expect their kids to be members of the "clean plate club" at home, but not in the cafeteria.
All this is true.
The difference is they are spending millions on this federal program and pushing students to eat the school lunch (often free lunch) and studies have shown huge waste. Much of the food is thrown out.
Stop pushing the federal program and give the local schools more flexibility. Lunches can be healthy and edible.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:03 PM

12,282 posts, read 13,239,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The hungry will eat.
Seems that hateful vindictive republicans think they know more than a mother.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Exactly!

Good point! Most people don't need to depend on schools to feed their kids, but for many children, it's where they get their most nutritional meal.
But that one or two meals isnt really going to impact their health/nutrition much.
I'd rather see funding go on educating students and families on nutrition and health. I think Michelle Obama had a great idea and a good cause promoting fitness and nutrition but the school lunch program has not fulfilled that ambition.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Trump unwinding Michelle Obama's school lunch program rules | TheHill

posts claiming 'republicans hate children!' and 'racism!', form a line to the left
it is your kids, your families kids not mine. my state sets it's own standards and while pathetic they are still far higher.

If you want your kids growing up eating wonder bread and nitrates, be my guest. you can pretend to yourself allowing schools to save money by feeding kids junk is "freedom" please do, i know it is not your fault, being raised in a nation that wraps kids in flags from age 5 up is going to result in some pretty odd adults..

Old 05-02-2017, 02:09 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Kids won't eat decent food at lunch if their parents feed them processed crap at home.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:10 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Sonny Perdue -- a perfect example of what a healthy lifestyle will get you.......
Hard to argue with that.
At 70, Purdue could be dead from a heart attack instead of being the Sec. of Agriculture if he had eaten a bad diet all his life.

But then again, ya never know... we all know somebody who smoked 2 packs a day and lived on beer and made it to 93.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:10 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Trump unwinding Michelle Obama's school lunch program rules | TheHill

posts claiming 'republicans hate children!' and 'racism!', form a line to the left
Yeah, I've heard from a lot of my friends that those Moochelle School lunches were pretty bad ...left kids starving, because they wouldn't eat that crap.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:13 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,636,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
But that one or two meals isnt really going to impact their health/nutrition much.
I'd rather see funding go on educating students and families on nutrition and health. I think Michelle Obama had a great idea and a good cause promoting fitness and nutrition but the school lunch program has not fulfilled that ambition.
you appear to have completely misunderstood.

5 solid meals a week can be the difference between a well nourished kid and a malnourished kid. this is not about government interference, as nobody makes you buy or accept the meal. it is about giving kids the best start in life. And remember a well educated healthy kid is a lot lot cheaper over 50 years than a poorly educated unhealthy kid.. That is just a fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies