Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Hard to argue with that.
At 70, Purdue could be dead from a heart attack instead of being the Sec. of Agriculture if he had eaten a bad diet all his life.

But then again, ya never know... we all know somebody who smoked 2 packs a day and lived on beer and made it to 93.
At 70, when Purdue was a kid Monsanto was still making floor tiles instead of artificial food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 02:16 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,276,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Seems that hateful vindictive republicans think they know more than a mother.
I fail to see the "hateful" and "vindictive" part in this thread, but let me just throw back: seems that Democrats think they know more than *everyone* even though the unintended consequences of their top-down meddling often make things worse.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:18 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I beg to differ. There are things kids will not eat and they will skip lunch.
And yes one can tell the difference in WG breading and WG pasta. I certainly can and do not care for it.

No one said anything about starvation. Being hungry and starving are not the same thing although the word starving is often used to exaggerate hunger.
agree!

Old 05-02-2017, 02:19 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
you appear to have completely misunderstood.

5 solid meals a week can be the difference between a well nourished kid and a malnourished kid. this is not about government interference, as nobody makes you buy or accept the meal. it is about giving kids the best start in life. And remember a well educated healthy kid is a lot lot cheaper over 50 years than a poorly educated unhealthy kid.. That is just a fact.
No I have not. If they are not eating those "5 solid meals a week" there is no difference. If they do eat those meals and 16 other meals a week 365 there is no difference. Either way they are not malnourished.
In the larger scheme of life those meals eaten or not arent making an impact.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:20 PM

36,529 posts, read 30,863,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Kids won't eat decent food at lunch if their parents feed them processed crap at home.
whole grain mini corn dogs are still processed food.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:22 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,140,056 times
Smoothies.

Throw in berries, bananas, almond butter, spinach, and ice.

Cheap (using frozen produce), tasty, quick, healthy.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:23 PM

21,135 posts, read 19,714,475 times
I never ate lunch at school. In grade school, I went home for lunch. In high school, I didn't eat during the entire time at school and spent lunch period in the library doing homework. Graduated with High Honors.

I'm glad to see the "legacy" of the Obamas being washed away. He will probably be the most intentionally forgotten presidency.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
Smoothies.

Throw in berries, bananas, almond butter, spinach, and ice.

Cheap (using frozen produce), tasty, quick, healthy.
That DOES sound good. Good for you too. But maybe it's too expensive.

I don't think the new meals sound that bad. Not perfect but who wants to drink that blueish skim milk? We used to have chocolate milk in school in little cartons. It was fine--whole milk. You need some fats in your diet. Give them some fun foods that aren't too bad nutritionally. The real answer is to let them go outside to play and run around and burn off some of that extra fat. Some schools don't even have recess anymore.

Old 05-02-2017, 02:35 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
I don't have kids in school, so I was shocked when I read [URL="http://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/agriculture-roll-back-standards-school-meals-47129977"]this.[/URL]

"School lunches for elementary school students are now required to have less than 1,230 mg of sodium, a change put in place in 2014. The changes would keep the meals at that level, delaying until at least 2020 a requirement to lower sodium to 935 mg. That requirement was scheduled to begin in the 2017-2018 school year."

1,230 mg? Isn't that a lot of sodium for one meal?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:06 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,933,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That DOES sound good. Good for you too. But maybe it's too expensive.

I don't think the new meals sound that bad. Not perfect but who wants to drink that blueish skim milk? We used to have chocolate milk in school in little cartons. It was fine--whole milk. You need some fats in your diet. Give them some fun foods that aren't too bad nutritionally. The real answer is to let them go outside to play and run around and burn off some of that extra fat. Some schools don't even have recess anymore.
I do agree that when it comes to most children, one school lunch won't make a big impact on their lives. My other comment was referring to children from homes where they don't get a nutritious breakfast or dinner and evilcart's response was right on point.

Regarding the fat content, that also depends on the other meals they eat. Good habits start in childhood and obesity costs taxpayers close to $200 billion annually.

"The estimated annual health care costs of obesity-related illness are a staggering $190.2 billion or nearly 21% of annual medical spending in the United States. Childhood obesity alone is responsible for $14 billion in direct medical costs."

[url=http://www.healthycommunitieshealthyfuture.org/learn-the-facts/economic-costs-of-obesity/]Economic Costs of Obesity | Healthy Communities for a Healthy Future[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies