Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2017, 03:08 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,997,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Mine eats healthy with out an all whole grain, sodium free, soy, skim milk diet.
It wasn't an all whole grain, sodium free, diet......The milk is something else (I'm not a fan of milk so I don't care if drinks skim or whatever -- water is fine).

And then pack your kid's lunch (which I suspect you already do).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
I never ate lunch at school. In grade school, I went home for lunch. In high school, I didn't eat during the entire time at school and spent lunch period in the library doing homework. Graduated with High Honors.

I'm glad to see the "legacy" of the Obamas being washed away. He will probably be the most intentionally forgotten presidency.
My kids took their lunch in high school and graduated with honors -- you worked too hard.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:11 PM

My kids wouldn't eat the school lunches -- we made them.

My son would choose water over milk or soda any day.

My sons would choose raw vegetables, fruit, rice, anything over that greasy glob of pizza they would serve or the pancake style burger.

Seriously -- y'all need to eat that crap for a week and report back.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:15 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,632,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
No I have not. If they are not eating those "5 solid meals a week" there is no difference. If they do eat those meals and 16 other meals a week 365 there is no difference. Either way they are not malnourished.
In the larger scheme of life those meals eaten or not arent making an impact.
ah the "larger scheme" unburdens us of all responsibilities in life. and you are WRONG. GOOD food gets eaten. Awful cheap nasty food does not.

you know this is true, you know the problem is budget cutting, and for profit sodas , burgers, pizzas chips and juices.

take that junk out of the school, increase the budgets, pay the cooks more and the food gets much better.

I have been a student in a whole bunch of schools growing up, and i can tell you the quality of the food matters and removing junk food from the school along with BANNING students from local stores during lunch is the real key.

good food, enough time to eat it , a strong budget and long term reliable employment is key to success.

lower standards is just another GOP attack on social safety nets.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:18 PM

I've probably spent more time in the classroom with kids eating their lunch and in cafeterias and such....
My oldest is 28...since he was 2 and a half I helped out with snacks, lunches, parties, etc.

We did things like veggies and dip, fruit and dip and the kids went crazy for it...they thought it was so much fun.

You can make good food for kids.

Look -- this isn't about kids eating healthy -- this is about the republicans pullling back on a democratic initiative. The democrats play the same game.

It's silly -- I hope -- oh boy -- another thing checked off of Trump's do list. What a guy!

Old 05-02-2017, 03:27 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I don't have kids in school, so I was shocked when I read this.

"School lunches for elementary school students are now required to have less than 1,230 mg of sodium, a change put in place in 2014. The changes would keep the meals at that level, delaying until at least 2020 a requirement to lower sodium to 935 mg. That requirement was scheduled to begin in the 2017-2018 school year."

1,230 mg? Isn't that a lot of sodium for one meal?
Yes. Yes it is. But like everything else, Republicans are pro-sodium and pro-pollution because it opposes Democrats. I can't even picture the conversations Republicans have. "We need to allow more pollution! Clean air is evil!" "We need more sodium in the kids lunches! The kids aren't obese enough!" I keep thinking they will come out and say "Just kidding, we obviously don't believe any of that", but no, they really do.

Not a lot of kids start out wanting to eat healthy but when they are raised on it, they are conditioned to make better choices. Sadly, most poorer areas are measurably more overweight than most wealthy areas.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:38 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,109,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
Trump unwinding Michelle Obama's school lunch program rules | TheHill

posts claiming 'republicans hate children!' and 'racism!', form a line to the left
Quick question: are you the same Republicans who want to put people on welfare of a strict diet of whole beans, rice, and vegetables b/c it's healthier than the soda & chips they buy?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:47 PM

3,356 posts, read 1,232,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The hungry will eat.
Tell that to a third grader that was never introduced to nutrition or vegetables and will only eat pizza.
I am angry that we go back to the bad old days; what next soda machines?

Old 05-02-2017, 03:50 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
The hungry will eat.
If it's between something nasty and going hungry, my kids will go hungry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Went in to eat with grandson last year on grandparents day. Food was not edible. Most of the students were dumping it in the trash. Was not even sure what part of it was supposed to be.
I've gone in and seen what my kids schoolmates have ate and it was horrible. SO nasty. The selection was so much better when I was a kid. My kids old school, they would put one thing on the menu and then serve something else. The kids bought lunch once in a blue moon and they would come home and eat because the food was cold, horrible and gross. Now it's just too darn expensive. $2.85 for school lunch vs taking their lunches for an average of $1.38, 1.75 if we add a piece of fruit in. And yes, I do figure out how much it costs because we do have a budget.
My kids hate the school lunches which is why they have taken their lunch everyday for the past 8 years. Also for the amount they charge, they eat better with bringing their lunch. They prefer 1% milk over 2% and water over cokes. Also if the schools want to charge .85 for a milk and cereal....at home they get a english muffin, with an egg, slice of cheese and 2 pieces of ham on it for less per daily serving. Plus it fills them up more.
Just some food for thought (no pun intended) sometimes if something says it is whole grain, fat free, low fat, sugar free etc does not necessarily mean it's healthier.
If one is so concerned about sodium, then restaurants and fast food places need to stop selling food. Their sodium is off the charts.

Old 05-02-2017, 03:53 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Yes. Yes it is. But like everything else, Republicans are pro-sodium and pro-pollution because it opposes Democrats. I can't even picture the conversations Republicans have. "We need to allow more pollution! Clean air is evil!" "We need more sodium in the kids lunches! The kids aren't obese enough!"

Some of the Republican sites have been pushing anti-education as well. Their line is that college 'indoctrinates' students with liberal ideas. There are many posts on city-data about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies