Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:49 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,760,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
and BettaFish
Another one who doesn't bother to read an article before criticizing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 07:26 AM

21,480 posts, read 10,579,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Let's see.... Hmmm, if I give an answer Dear Leader does not like then I may be put in the middle of a field and have a mortar shot at me or be fed to starving dogs. If I really screw up they will have my mother, great uncle, wife, and new baby join me.....

"Why, yes, life is most wonderful here. We are treated most well, much better than people in India or Pakistan. You should have seen all the rice we had last night! All thanks to Dear Leader."

Riiight. Does anyone really think those western reporters were given access to ordinary people or that those people would be frank with them, even if they were?
^^^Exactly! How are people so naive?

Old 05-03-2017, 07:48 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,106,606 times
Pure propaganda, LAtimes should be embarrassed for printing this garbage. Why do the bidding of a dictator that is holding 25 million people hostage? Please OP don't be so naive and give any credit to a dictator, that will kill any and all to stay in power. It's like praising hitler cause he put people to work.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:51 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,564,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Let's see.... Hmmm, if I give an answer Dear Leader does not like then I may be put in the middle of a field and have a mortar shot at me or be fed to starving dogs. If I really screw up they will have my mother, great uncle, wife, and new baby join me.....

"Why, yes, life is most wonderful here. We are treated most well, much better than people in India or Pakistan. You should have seen all the rice we had last night! All thanks to Dear Leader."

Riiight. Does anyone really think those western reporters were given access to ordinary people or that those people would be frank with them, even if they were?
lol. well done, +1.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:20 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
The propaganda usually depicts North Koreans as starving to death. Obviously it is not the truth. In fact the nutrition condition of North Koreans is better than that of other poor countries.

We went to North Korea. You asked hundreds of questions. Here's what we found - LA Times
I am really surprised that you fell for this

Have you ever read this book . This gives a true account of people of North Korea, stitched together from people who escaped the brutal regime.

https://www.amazon.com/Nothing-Envy-.../dp/0385523912

By a strange coincidence she is Beijing correspondent of the LA times. I am not saying that India is paradise. I agree that some top brass in North Korea live better lives than the poor in South Korea. But to generalize that North Korea is better than India is naive.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:26 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,089,753 times
Quote:
Can you read? Your questions are answered in the article.

BTW in Pakistan if you criticize Islam, you may be beaten to death too, especially in some remote villages.
Better yet, you are beaten to death for eating beef in northern India.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:32 AM

2,691 posts, read 1,668,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Better yet, you are beaten to death for eating beef in northern India.
Just like a physician is shot to death for performing a legal abortion in USA.

It is stupid to quote isolated incidences to make a point about something rare.

Anyone who thinks North Korea is better than India should spend a month in each country and be allowed to travel freely. Then report back to us here at CD.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 AM

39,232 posts, read 27,611,062 times
Last time I checked, tourists are not allowed to freely explore the country and North Korea is arguably the most isolated and secretive country in the world.

So I don't think there is a way to compare the country to India or Pakistan. However, I have no doubts in my minds that you can still find certain area pretty advanced or developed (relatively speaking.)

In my opinion, this silly comparison is useless.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:22 AM

17,401 posts, read 11,978,162 times
Quote:
The propaganda usually depicts North Koreans as starving to death. Obviously it is not the truth. In fact the nutrition condition of North Koreans is better than that of other poor countries.

We went to North Korea. You asked hundreds of questions. Here's what we found - LA Times
Wow, way to twist what is written and see what you want to see.

The whole article talks about how malnourished the people are. While the author admits that there are few people starving (which is most likely NOT true), they do admit that there is a lot of underfed people. The also use as evidence of NK citizens being well fed in trip to the water park. A trip that is orchestrated by the minders, and coincidentally shows a lot of people with their shirts off. They also comment that the upper brass of the military is well fed, but the soldiers are small and thin. And every single piece of "evidence" is gotten in the capital, where the majority of wealth is concentrated. The author admits they never went to the countryside, where the true hunger and starvation are.

Such garbage, beginning to end.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:59 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,575,119 times
That was the story last year in the US press. Dozens of articles were repeating the same story. North Korea experienced the worst drought in years and many people were starving. Yet there was little evidence that unrest could be seen in the form of an exodus of people from the country.

They're probably in better shape than 3rd world countries in Africa, Pakistan, and India, and even rural agricultural communities in Mexico.

They don't have the foreign insurgencies running amok in the country.

They don't have mass dislocation of subsistence farmers because of dumping of subsidized farm produces by the US and the EU.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies