Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 08:37 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,177,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Well, in reality, I don't think so. I do believe it is five kids by three different women.
Some of us don't find that at all horrible. I, too, have been divorced twice, married three times. But, I am ahead of trump, I have 6 children, 2 from each wife.
I do not remember everything I have said in barracks or locker room conversations, but I really think I quite likely said things as bad or worse than what he said.
It is amazing how many "perfect" people there seem to be in the world!

I hope you are proud.

The "locker room talk" conversation was a funny one in my house. DH said something like yah I probably said stupid stuff like that in elementary school. I was a kid. I grew up. It can happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 08:45 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,750,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Which does make it interesting if not earth shattering that a college relationship did not lead to marriage.
Actually, it was not a college relationship. He appears to have met Jager post Columbia, in Chicago, after he moved there to become a community organizer. There's nothing remarkable about the fact that they eventually broke up. But if, as the book claims, his motive was that her race didn't help him further his political ambitions, then it does tell us something about his character.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:54 AM

39,168 posts, read 27,558,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Actually, it was not a college relationship. He appears to have met Jager post Columbia, in Chicago, after he moved there to become a community organizer. There's nothing remarkable about the fact that they eventually broke up. But if, as the book claims, his motive was that her race didn't help him further his political ambitions, then it does tell us something about his character.
I have to disagree with you here.

It is a rare person who, when faced with love, can clearly identify what will enable them to maintain their self-worth. Love can be all-consuming and, if a person doesn't have something of their own to hold on to, they can lose their self - or define their self - by the other. Loving another and having a career are two completely different things and the trouble comes when one becomes a surrogate for the other. Thus, unless one loses one's faculties entirely, developing a career may be more important than being with the person you love. Once that career is solid, or one's self-worth is clear, love can enter without fear.

Obama ended the relationship with the white/japanese woman at age of 25, and he found himself and what he was passionate about afterward, He also found a life partner. I think it is a beautiful thing.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
You do know that anyone who saw Barack Obama walking down the street "considered him to be black," right? Look at him. What else would he be "considered to be"? To anyone who is not blind he is a black man.
He is a man of biracial heritage with an exotic, international background. That is what he looks like, and that's how everyone in his life thought of him until about age 25.

Old 05-03-2017, 08:59 AM

Quote:
He is a man of biracial heritage with an exotic, international background. That is what he looks like, and that's how everyone in his life thought of him until about age 25.
I think many mixed race people (white/black) choose to identify as black instead of white

i's likely to be very complex for each individual, but a big reason is because that's how the world treats them. If you're anything other than white, you're treated differently. That means that mixed people can more easily find people who experience the world in the same way as them in black and minority racial communities.
In America, take a look at the one drop rule for historical reference to how mixed people have been treated, legally.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
Obama ended the relationship with the white/japanese woman at age of 25, and he found himself and what he was passionate about afterward, He also found a life partner. I think it is a beautiful thing.
She says they were still seeing each other in in 1991, when Obama was turning 30 and had already been in a "serious" relationship with Michelle for a year.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:00 AM

7,605 posts, read 4,841,479 times
Quote:
According to the link in the OP Obama asked her at least twice to marry him and she said no both times. Its not surprising the that the relationship did not last particularly after Obama attended graduate school. It would seem clear that both of them were not on the same page on what they wanted out of the relationship.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:01 AM

Quote:
She says they were still seeing each other in in 1991, when Obama was turning 30 and had already been in a "serious" relationship with Michelle for a year.
He's not the only person who dated two at the same time.

Personally, I have zero respect towards woman like this. She said no to him twice, and she expected some kind of loyalty from him? Can't respect any women or men kiss and tell, but it is just me. I don't discuss my past relationship with my current boyfriend. It is none of his business. If any of my exes became famous (I believe some would), I would have nothing but good thing to say about them because all of them have taught me something and all of them showed me a great time. Why bad mouth an ex? My current fiance is the best man for me, that is all he needs to know.

Old 05-03-2017, 09:05 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,064,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I think many mixed race people (white/black) choose to identify as black instead of white

i's likely to be very complex for each individual, but a big reason is because that's how the world treats them. If you're anything other than white, you're treated differently. That means that mixed people can more easily find people who experience the world in the same way as them in black and minority racial communities.
In America, take a look at the one drop rule for historical reference to how mixed people have been treated, legally.
Exactly. And there is little doubt that anyone who looks at Barack Obama will see a black man, no matter how hard the OP tries to spin it otherwise. That's how the world viewed him and that's how the world treated him, as a black man. Why wouldn't he identify with that?

Old 05-03-2017, 09:15 AM

6,205 posts, read 7,453,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcattwood View Post
Well that settles it. He's lost my vote!
I'm really shocked!
At a time when America is facing huge challenges, with an unbalanced POTUS, they bring such "news" to...divert our attention??? (Needless to ask) - who cares what an ex president did 30 years ago? Was he black then? Is he still "white"? Maybe blue?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies