Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times

Advertisements

I made a thread sometime ago postulating that Trump needs to get the hell of Twitter and stop fantasizing openly about what he could do if he were a dictator.

To suggest publicly (on Twitter no less) that McConnell should dump the legislative filibuster is one of the stupidest things he could've done. He ended up uniting the Senate and made Republican resolve to NOT end the filibuster even more rock solid. Nice accomplishment Mr President. You've just empowered Senate Democrats even more, and that's the last thing you needed. Now they'll feel emboldened to stop everything you want to do with no fear of McConnell dumping the filibuster to grease the skids.

I mean, what the hell is wrong with this guy? Is there ANYONE in the White House with the power to grab his cellphone and smash the damn thing on the ground?

Trump's Achilles Heel is that weak ass Chief of Staff that he has. Reince Priebus is an inexperienced yes man that has no power to stand up to Trump. That's no doubt by design. He's the weak link. If they don't get a COS in the White House in this term with the ability to straighten out the president, there are gonna be some MAJOR problems on the horizon.

Trump Gets a Win He Wasn’t Counting On: He Saved the Filibuster - The New York Times
https://apple.news/Afl_rRdFRThyEG177tLPGng
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 04:15 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Gotta correct you there...big mouth...tiny thumbs.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:19 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,702,895 times
Republicans know if they get rid of the legislative filibuster, Democrats will pass universal health coverage as soon as they get the chance.

Old 05-03-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Republicans know if they get rid of the legislative filibuster, Democrats will pass universal health coverage as soon as they get the chance.
You know this...I know this.

Guess who doesn't seem to know this (or much of anything else, or so it seems).

This is just embarrassing.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

Actually, I'm not a bit embarassed. Unfortunately, neither is Trump.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Actually, I'm not a bit embarassed. Unfortunately, neither is Trump.
He doesn't know what that is. Lol...no self awareness.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:59 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:

that would be just the start. I've been really torn on it in the past. On one hand...its often a barrier to a functional government that is horrifically abused. On the other hand...eventually its going to go the other way.

I think it needs to be limited to speaking filibuster for the first 40 hours-even if its a hr per senator. Make some effort to be used rather then just a statement. On one hand the minority needs something to stop extremism. On the other hand non stop obstructionism for even minor things represents a failure in government.

Old 05-03-2017, 07:04 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,449,182 times
Quote:
I was embarrassed for Mr Trump.

Now I am embarrassed for us.

Old 05-04-2017, 03:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
I was embarrassed for Mr Trump.

Now I am embarrassed for us.
Yeah...i guess I should be too.

Old 05-04-2017, 04:26 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
Among other things. The filibuster is only a device to slow things down, not stop them. Time gives the people time to contact their voters for their opinions on an issue, to re-consider all sides of the issue, and to consider the consequences of an issue that aren't obvious.

Without the filibuster, Congress can rush into a bad situation. Bad for them, and bad for us. It happened a lot before the filibuster rule came about, and at first, a filibuster was a very challenging physical thing that took a lot of stamina and courage to accomplish.

It's easier to filibuster now than it once was, and whether that's good or not can be debated, but the fact is dropping the rule can damage either party equally.

All that needs to happen is one bad passage of a bill that turns out to be a disaster, and the majority party or caucus can be destroyed. Sometimes forever or next to it.

Voters can't say much to our officials when they vote, but the message they send can be very clear anyway. It always says "We don't like you anymore because of your bad decision, so you're fired."

The other candidate always gets a message too. "Don't make the same mistake as the guy we just fired."

Those messages have been sent many times with great clarity. And that's why the filibuster will stick around. The everyday passage of legislation goes on despite whatever great divisions exist, and the filibuster is always used for the big stuff with lots of consequences.

It's also a rule that can make the individual Senator a hero or a villain, depending on the circumstance, but not always his party or those who agree with him or oppose him. It all depends on the issue.

So Trump may wish and hope, but the Senate won't give it up. And the Senate is the graveyard where many Presidential resolutions go to die, no matter how popular or not the President is.

The filibuster is a double-bladed axe that can swing both ways and cut both ways. It's too useful for all Senators to be abandoned, even if it sits unused in the corner of the rule shed most of the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies