Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 01:52 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,584,379 times

Advertisements

GOP lawmaker: Under the Affordable Care Act, the system for Americans with pre-existing conditions is pretty straightforward: they can’t be discriminated against, they can’t be denied coverage, and they can’t be forced to pay more for insurance. Under the Republican alternative, those protections are eliminated.

The GOP model would empower states to scrap the guarantees for those with pre-existing conditions, forcing Americans who’ve had health issues – or those with chronic conditions – to pay exorbitant costs for care.
hose with pre-existing conditions may need to move.

GOP lawmaker: those with pre-existing conditions may need to move | MSNBC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2017, 01:58 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
What in the blazes is wrong with these Republicans? WE ARE TALKING ABOUT PEOPLE HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! UGHHHH Is nothing sacred to the Republican Party? Is everything about the almighty dollar?

You know, forcing someone to move elsewhere to get healthcare could be considered a crime against humanity.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:03 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,707,499 times
My issue with this is what it always is. I live in a blue state and we believe in health coverage. I love my blue state and it is a very successful state economically. That said, why should we pay for people that move to our state for health coverage? We need to be able institute a ten year residency requirement before they qualify. Maybe twenty years. Something so long that it keeps them in the red states where they reside or they can go to another state. I do not mind paying for my own state residents. I do mind getting stuck paying for all the sickest people in country running to my state for coverage. Our insurance costs should be based on the average, not the worst case scenario. We should not be the country's life raft.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:05 PM

4,019 posts, read 3,951,381 times
So if republicans don't like Obamacare, they should move out of the country?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:08 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Knuckleheads, all of them ...

I am becoming ashamed that I supported Republicans in the past.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:13 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,785,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
GOP lawmaker: Under the Affordable Care Act, the system for Americans with pre-existing conditions is pretty straightforward: they can’t be discriminated against, they can’t be denied coverage, and they can’t be forced to pay more for insurance. Under the Republican alternative, those protections are eliminated.

The GOP model would empower states to scrap the guarantees for those with pre-existing conditions, forcing Americans who’ve had health issues – or those with chronic conditions – to pay exorbitant costs for care.
hose with pre-existing conditions may need to move.

GOP lawmaker: those with pre-existing conditions may need to move | MSNBC
First the entire premise is counter to the truth. They are trying to set up a public/private hybrid.

What will happen to those with preexisting conditions under ACA when there's no insurer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My issue with this is what it always is. I live in a blue state and we believe in health coverage. I love my blue state and it is a very successful state economically. That said, why should we pay for people that move to our state for health coverage? We need to be able institute a ten year residency requirement before they qualify.
What about illegals who most certainly have poured into your cozy blue state?

Old 05-03-2017, 02:27 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,104,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
My issue with this is what it always is. I live in a blue state and we believe in health coverage. I love my blue state and it is a very successful state economically. That said, why should we pay for people that move to our state for health coverage? We need to be able institute a ten year residency requirement before they qualify. Maybe twenty years. Something so long that it keeps them in the red states where they reside or they can go to another state. I do not mind paying for my own state residents. I do mind getting stuck paying for all the sickest people in country running to my state for coverage. Our insurance costs should be based on the average, not the worst case scenario. We should not be the country's life raft.
We have a similar issue in NY where retirees move away and then they get sick and move back to NY because they know Medicaid & Medicare get more funding and the hospitals are better than down South.

Old 05-03-2017, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
First the entire premise is counter to the truth. They are trying to set up a public/private hybrid.

What will happen to those with preexisting conditions under ACA when there's no insurer?

What about illegals who most certainly have poured into your cozy blue state?
What does that have to do with the topic of this thread, which is people from states that get a waiver not to cover them, moving to my state for coverage?

Old 05-03-2017, 03:25 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,479,283 times
I could possibly be forced to move to a different state if I am unable to obtain health insurance in my state if I get dumped off insurance due to pre-existing conditions. I don't want to.

Right now I am 100% healthy but IF I get into an accident or get some future health issue that deems me with a 'pre-existing condition', then if it comes to live or death...I might have to move to a state that doesn't deny people with pre-existing conditions. However, I have the money to pay for the full premium and won't need to be subsidized. But who the heck wants to move just to qualify for insurance that you are paying for the entire premium out of pocket anyway?

The problem with "pre-existing condition" is that it can be defined by the health insurance companies. Even minor things can become pre-existing conditions such as being overweight previously and losing 35 pounds or more. Yep - that can be a pre-existing condition.
Previously having high blood pressure but don't have it any more - can be a pre-existing condition. being pre-diabetic but not officially a type 2 diabetic can be a pre-existing condition.

Having total cholesterol over 200 can be a pre-existing condition.

Having 1 polyp removed as a result of a colonoscopy now puts you in the pre-existing condition category. Some people will choose not to get tested because they don't want to be labeled as pre-existng and lose their insurance.

Having a benign cyst on an ovary can be preexisting condition, or having a mole checked for skin cancer, or having an enlarged prostate or elevated prostate levels in a prior test for prostate cancer. Or having been in a car accident 3 years ago and had a sore back for a few weeks - this can be a pre-existing condition.

Getting bronchitis and going to the doctor for an antibiotic can be a pre-existing condition.

Previously having your appendix removed or your tonsils removed can be pre-existing.

Being allergic to mold or peanuts, even a mild allergy, can be a preexisting condition that means insurance turns you down.

Basically, anyone can have a pre-existing condition even for small stuff and can be turned away from being able to purchase a health insurance policy.

Old 05-03-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
I could possibly be forced to move to a different state if I am unable to obtain health insurance in my state if I get dumped off insurance due to pre-existing conditions. I don't want to.

Right now I am 100% healthy but IF I get into an accident or get some future health issue that deems me with a 'pre-existing condition', then if it comes to live or death...I might have to move to a state that doesn't deny people with pre-existing conditions. However, I have the money to pay for the full premium and won't need to be subsidized. But who the heck wants to move just to qualify for insurance that you are paying for the entire premium out of pocket anyway?

The problem with "pre-existing condition" is that it can be defined by the health insurance companies. Even minor things can become pre-existing conditions such as being overweight previously and losing 35 pounds or more. Yep - that can be a pre-existing condition.
Previously having high blood pressure but don't have it any more - can be a pre-existing condition. being pre-diabetic but not officially a type 2 diabetic can be a preesting condition.

Having total cholesterol over 200 can be a pre-existing condition.

Having a benign cyst on an ovary can be preexisting condition, or having a mole checked for skin cancer, or having an enlarged prostate or elevated prostate levels in a prior test for prostate cancer. Or having been in a car accident 3 years ago and had a sore back for a few weeks - this can be a pre-existing condition.

Getting bronchitis and going to the doctor for an antibiotic can be a pre-existing condition.

Previously having your appendix removed or your tonsils removed can be pre-existing.

Being allergic to mold or peanuts, even a mild allergy, can be a preexisting condition that means insurance turns you down.

Basically, anyone can have a pre-existing condition even for small stuff and can be turned away from being able to purchase a health insurance policy.
All true. People forget that before Obamacare, insurance companies were notorious for taking the insurance premiums for years, then when they did get sick, denying the claim over some obscure test years earlier, calling it a pre-existing condition and denying coverage. It happened all the time, there were endless stories about it. But they would take the money for years first.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies