Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 12:08 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
Disagreeing doesnt make you right you know ?

Why do you believe anyone would choose to be gay ?????
I've heard this used in a discussion before. What difference does it make if someone is born gay or chooses to be gay? What is the reasoning behind bring it up?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:09 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
A same-sex couple who was denied a marriage license by Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis can now legally sue her, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The couple have indicated they intend to go forward with the suit.

Good , she was dead wrong !

Old 05-04-2017, 12:10 PM

18,323 posts, read 10,661,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
Practicing Homosexuality is a sin- how people feel towards each other doesn't change that.

You would be wrong.

Quote:
Religion is man made- so it is flawed- just like mans laws. I'm not practicing Religion, I'm speaking for my Faith. I can't stop gays from getting married either- that is their problem.
Flawed because of the interpretation by man? Is that what you mean? Like when it's said thou shalt not kill vs an eye for an eye.

22,186 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You asked the wrong question. Why is there only one office and why does only one person have the authority to marry? And to go further why is government involved in the marriage business when they cause so much trouble over the act of 2 people in love wanting to get married?

Actually there is a law about having to serve gays.

She isn't the only one with the authority to marry. Others in her office did as well, but they report to her and she refused to allow the deputy clerks from issuing the licenses.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:12 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I would fight for accommodations which would be my legal right. Most people live paycheck to paycheck. Telling them to just quit and go work somewhere else is cold hearted and not realistic.
Many did quit and I am sure many lived from paycheck to paycheck although one must realize that Kim Davis was extremely well paid. Kim Davis also forbid her workers to issue the marriage licenses, thereby forcing her beliefs on the people she supervised violating their rights and obligations on the job.

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/livewir...s-gay-marriage

https://www.onenewsnow.com/culture/2...er-keeps-going

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement...e_sex_marriage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
A law that violates religious freedom is a law that can be disputed. I get so tired of the "it's the law" argument. Well, it was once the law that homosexuality was a criminal offense. I guess people should have just kept their mouth shut and followed the law back then, right?

But a new law was created that solved the problem. That's how things should work.
She took an oath to uphold the laws of Kentucky and the US, she did not do this. If she would have been in my county and state, I would have been working to remove her from office and most likely, got it done!

This has nothing to do with my religious beliefs one way or the other. This is not about religion or religious beliefs, it is about someone taking an oath to uphold the laws of Kentucky and the USA and failing to do that. I cannot belief the people did not recall her or that politicians supported her, those that quickly removed from consideration in my book.

I have seen it a million times in my life, those that have sinned big time get Jesus and then become judge and jury for everyone else. It was not her place to do this, she just needed to do her job per the oath that she took.

Accommodation was offered her by letting other clerks perform the job and she wasn't satisfied by that. Any one that truly knows God understands that God judges what is in one's heart.

I just don't know about making accommodations for someone that has taken an oath to uphold the laws and then decides not to, just seems unnecessary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
She was a government official, she can't pick and choose what laws to follow.
Well, she did and that is why she has had so many problems. When they "get" Jesus, they feel above those they have determined don't "get" Jesus. I have known people of this faith and don't wish anyone having to be in their company!

Old 05-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
She isn't the only one with the authority to marry. Others in her office did as well, but they report to her and she refused to allow the deputy clerks from issuing the licenses.
Exactly. Which is the same thing. She grants the authority to marry, either by herself or through others. That is the problem. If there were more than one person with that authority we wouldn't have this problem. Agreed?

I get it. You want to do the "fair" thing. You want 2 people in love to marry. So do I. People have a right to live their life unencumbered. But that doesn't mean marriage is a right. The way a society goes about accomplishing this "feat" matters.
I'll fight for anyone, hetereo or gay to get married, but you always have to fight for the rights of the individual. Your rights end where mine start.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:16 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
You asked the wrong question. Why is there only one office and why does only one person have the authority to marry? And to go further why is government involved in the marriage business when they cause so much trouble over the act of 2 people in love wanting to get married?

Actually there is a law about having to serve gays.
There is only one office because it's a small county, they don't need more than one to serve the population. No one in that office is authorized to marry anyone, they are authorized to issue marriage licenses to people so that they can go get married. Davis was not the only one that could issue those licenses, the court told her to let someone else issue them, and she refused to allow anyone in the office issue them. The government has been involved in marriage for a long time, it only seems to be a problem now that some don't approve of who can get married.

The law is a public accommodation law that bans businesses from discriminating based on race, sex, religion, and sexual orientation. If the bakery did no sell cakes they would not have to serve them to anyone, but since they did, they can not discriminate based on those characteristics.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:17 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Practicing Homosexuality is a sin- how people feel towards each other doesn't change that.
And it isn't the place of a government official to deny service based on their perception of sin.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:19 PM

22,186 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Exactly. Which is the same thing. She grants the authority to marry, either by herself or through others. That is the problem. If there were more than one person with that authority we wouldn't have this problem. Agreed?
To be technical she doesn't actually grant people to get married, but simply issues licenses. Others had the ability to issue them, but she blocked and interfered with them doing so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies