Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 12:49 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Again marriage isn't a right. Quit saying it is. It's a government granted privilege

This is her oath

https://www.lgbtqnation.com/2015/09/...erk-kim-davis/

“I, _____, do swear that I will well and truly discharge the duties of the office of _____ County Circuit Court clerk, according to the best of my skill and judgment, making the due entries and records of all orders, judgments, decrees, opinions and proceedings of the court, and carefully filing and preserving in my office all books and papers which come to my possession by virtue of my office; and that I will not knowingly or willingly commit any malfeasance of office, and will faithfully execute the duties of my office without favor, affection or partiality, so help me God.”

From my understanding it is about upholding the laws of Kentucky.
I never said anything about marriage and she failed to fulfill the oath she swore to.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:53 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Yes her job description changed. It was her job to follow the rules of Kentucky.** She was told because of those laws she would not have to authorize gay marriages. She had the authority to do so. Handing off that authority to someone who would do gay marriages is against her no gay marriage religious beliefs.

** If you want to discuss this point I would be more than happy to do so but it would just expose more failings of big government which the progressives ignore.
Laws change all the time, and the laws of KY changed when the supreme court ruled that it is unconstitutional to deny same sex couples the ability to legally marry. The governor even sent out a letter to county clerks explaining what the ruling meant in regards to the laws in KY.
Gov. Steve Beshear: Kentucky Will Recognize Same-Sex Marriages Starting Today | WKMS

Quote:
All Cabinets of the executive branch have been directed to immediately alter any policies necessary to implement the decision from the Supreme Court.

Effective today, Kentucky will recognize as valid all same-sex marriages performed in other states and in Kentucky. I have instructed the Kentucky Department of Libraries and Archives to provide revised marriage license forms to our county clerks for immediate use, beginning today. We will report additional expected policy changes in the coming days.”

Beshear sent a letter to all 120 county clerks telling them the Department of Libraries and Archives will send them a gender neutral form today along with instructions on how to use it. He told the clerks to consult with their county attorneys with specific questions, but said he knows they will respect the rule of law.
Why should she be allowed to enforce her religious beliefs on other employees, or on the citizens on the county?

Old 05-04-2017, 12:55 PM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
she failed to fulfill the oath she swore to.
It really is that simple. There's no argument to be had.

The Supreme Court ruled that same sex marriage is legal. That is the law of the land. Kim Fields, a government employee, will not adhere to the law of issuing same sex marriage licenses.

Being a close-minded, self-centered person, Kim Field's thinks her personal opinion on gay marriage supersedes her duties as a government employee.

She is in the wrong, and she will be sued for it.

Old 05-04-2017, 12:58 PM

9,267 posts, read 5,118,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

The Supreme Court ruled that same sex marriage is legal. That is the law of the land. Kim Fields, a government employee, will not adhere to the law of issuing same sex marriage licenses.

Being a close-minded, self-centered person, Kim Field's thinks her personal opinion on gay marriage supersedes her duties as a government employee.

The new Supreme Court will reverse your silly fantasy marriage laws. It only makes sense.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:00 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,885,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post

Gay Marriage is still wrong and we as a country loses on these morality issues. However she could of had anther clerk handle the matter.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
Gay Marriage is still wrong and we as a country loses on these morality issues.
Your opinion, and you have a perfect right to it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
However she could of had anther clerk handle the matter.
But you come to the correct conclusion in the end. This whole thing would have been moot had she done this. Instead, she believed it was her right to tell everyone who works with her that everyone must follow her beliefs no matter what they personally believed.

The hubris of this woman is unprecedented. I hope it costs her big time.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:05 PM

25,959 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Quote:
You bring up a good point about the well paid part. Easier to look the other way when you are paid well. She didn't. She could have caved and taken the money as well as avoided jail time and all the hassle that came with this. Sticking up for your beliefs is part of our countrys foundation. The rights of the individual and religious persecution.

Bolded for emphasis. She took an oath to uphold the laws of Kentucky. Then when the Feds stepped in her job description changed.
She took an oath to uphold for her almost $52,000 a year with an additional $11,000 for overtime, as an employee reporting to her mother.

Her oath was to uphold the laws of Kentucky and the USA "so help her God", ah, lying is a sin. Another interesting thought is that gluttony is a sin, if I were a waitress, what if I decided I did not want to serve her because I did not want to be a part of the sin that she is committing. Hey, I don't want to be a part of her sinful lifestyle.

Her job description DID NOT change. Her job was issue marriage licenses to people that met the qualifications.

Frankly, I think the woman is dumb as a box of rocks and was used to push the agenda, I don't think either that her religious convictions would have been strong enough either without the support of those using her, she got "Jesus" because some relative was dying and probably sensing that with Kim's past, she was headed straight to Hell, so the dying relative pushed her toward religion, yeah, that isn't the way it works. I don't care for either side of the equation using dumb or innocent people to push an agenda.

God gave man freewill. That is where I stand on this. With actions/choices come consequences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Or they could just have a government official that actually does their job in the first place.

What about a health inspector that refuses to issue health certificates to businesses that serve pork, or alcohol? Should they keep getting paid for not doing their job?
What about a business license clerk that refuses to issue a business license to Mormons because they believe that they are part of a cult?
What about a clerk that refuses building permits for a church, because they think that Christianity is a false religion?

Maybe we should just require government employees to do the job that they are being paid to do.
For that matter, many religions do not believe in divorce, so should they be allowed to deny a marriage license to someone that divorced and is remarrying. I guess according to some of the "logic" here, that would be OK also.

I can think of several incidents where I would have a moral issue in certain jobs BUT if it were my job and along the way something changed, I'd do my job until I could find another, of course, since I wouldn't be reporting to my mother at work, I guess my situation would be different than that of Kim Davis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I work in an industry where the laws have changed since I started. If a law changes that I disagree with it should I not follow it and keep my job??

And no her job description didn't change, it was to issue marriage licenses to those legally able to marry.
Well, if you want to eat and are like most people, you do the job you were hired for until you can find something else or you are out the door for good. But, you are there to work and do the job.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
No, her job description didn't change. It was in her job description to issue marriage licenses to anyone legally allowed to get married. Gay couples are legally allowed to get married. She doesn't get to decide who is legally allowed to marry. AND she didn't even have to issue the licenses herself, she could have allowed someone else to do so and her godly hands wouldn't even need to touch those evil licenses.
She wasn't letting those she supervised issue the marriage licenses either, that was actually the final straw for me. From what I read, at least some of the employees had no issue with issuing the marriage licenses to anyone qualified and were upset that they were not being allowed to do their jobs.

All that matters is that Kim Davis took an oath to uphold the laws of Kentucky and the USA and did not do it.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
I never said anything about marriage
The entire thread is about marriage. Why are you here?

Quote:
and she failed to fulfill the oath she swore to.
Show proof she failed to fulfill her oath. You just saying so is not proof.

Maybe she was mistaken when she said she took an oath to the state of Kentucky. In the oath that I just showed you and which you completely ignored it doesn't say anything about an oath to the Federal government. I don't see how it would, since she doesn't work for the Feds.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:07 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
The hubris of this woman is unprecedented. I hope it costs her big time.
I expect it will end up costing her at least the rusted out Trans-AM on cinderblocks in the front yard, if not the unused Jet Ski that has been sitting in the back yard for 6 years. They might even lose the moldy above ground pool filled with leaves.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:08 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,073,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I expect it will end up costing her at least the rusted out Trans-AM on cinderblocks in the front yard, if not the unused Jet Ski that has been sitting in the back yard for 6 years.
It should cost her her job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies