Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2017, 06:14 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRIDER AZ View Post
This whole is bull and what the rights of Ms. Davis. This is why we call this Civil Unions, not Marriage.
Call it anything you like.

Legally - it's marriage.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:21 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,851,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I disagree with what Ms. Davis did. She was wrong as her job was to issue licenses for marriages and she refused to do her job based on her religious beliefs. But, in my opinion these men aren't doing themselves or the gay rights cause any favors by trying to financially punish this woman. Filing a lawsuit makes this couple look vindictive and punitive.
I wonder what damages they are claiming happened to them?

Maybe they should sue government for all the times they were denied equal protection under the law when government was against same sex marriage?
After all government decides what is and what isn't a legal marriage. Just think of all the good that's done over the years. Undoing something that should never have been governments job in the first place. Using force to accept or deny marriage is tyranny.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:34 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
This whole is bull and what the rights of Ms. Davis. This is why we call this Civil Unions, not Marriage.
Actually they do call it 'marriage'.

Kim Davis did more to turn young people away from the church than Jim and Tammy Faye Baker.

Old 05-03-2017, 06:38 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,358,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
I wonder what damages they are claiming happened to them?

Maybe they should sue government for all the times they were denied equal protection under the law when government was against same sex marriage?
After all government decides what is and what isn't a legal marriage. Just think of all the good that's done over the years. Undoing something that should never have been governments job in the first place. Using force to accept or deny marriage is tyranny.
You mean like how the government defines it via force of law? Seriously, ook and think.

Its OK to use force of law to not allow those people to marry, but OK to use it to allow those other folks too?

Old 05-03-2017, 08:17 PM

1,204 posts, read 872,320 times
Quote:
Ours actually says "marriage". It only took us 42 years together to get there, but happily so.

I really don't care what its called, but there were certain protection and benefits that are bestowed upon 2 people who willingly commit to a lifetime with each other.

Sadly a great number of couples come nowhere near spending as long together as we have. Despite being denied by a vote of the people \during all these years still thought of ourselves as married, or civil unioned if you prefer.

If you haven't hit the 42 year mark or more with your one and only-- hopefully you shall.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:20 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
A same-sex couple who was denied a marriage license by Kentucky county clerk Kim Davis can now legally sue her, a federal appeals court ruled Tuesday.

The couple have indicated they intend to go forward with the suit.
Good she should be in the poor house for disobeying the law and denying homosexuals individuals their newly granted civil rights. I think I said back a year or two ago when she was not following the law that she should have to pay restitution.

Quote:
As an elected official she had to act within the law. She didn't. Her rights ended when she had to grant rights to the homosexuals seeking a Kentucky marriage license for the newly established law of the land.

As for civil unions, technically traditional heterosexual marriages are civil unions under the law. Marriage itself is a religious and social construct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I disagree with this. It wasn't a settled matter at the time, and I kind of dislike going after people who believed they were acting within the law.

Unless of course this occurred after that point.
Um, these lawsuits against David were for what happened after the Supreme Court banned laws that denied the rights for homosexual marriage. One specifically was the one that led to her issues with the law and if I remember correctly sent her to jail.
Quote:
I disagree with what Ms. Davis did. She was wrong as her job was to issue licenses for marriages and she refused to do her job based on her religious beliefs. But, in my opinion these men aren't doing themselves or the gay rights cause any favors by trying to financially punish this woman. Filing a lawsuit makes this couple look vindictive and punitive.
They should be though, Davis denied their constitutional rights.

Quote:
Her signature is no longer needed on Marriage Licenses, so it is moot.

Gay marriage is the law of the land. These men won. Homosexuals and Lesbians won. Why not be gracious in victory?
But at the time of these individuals thatare suing her did go to the county clerk office, it was. She denied their civil rights and restitution is appropriate due to denying their civil rights.

Last edited by mkpunk; 05-04-2017 at 06:39 AM.. Reason: Realized I skipped a quote reply.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 AM

9,468 posts, read 10,794,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
It was settled at that point. The Supreme Court ruling was in June 2015, this was in September 2015
The court violated the law. Our constitution gives this power to regulate civil laws to the states as part of the 10th amendment. I do not recognize the illegal action of these robed tyrants who are illegally creating laws as if they were the legislative branch. Kim Davis was right to resist,her state government should have supported her.

Old 05-04-2017, 06:38 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
The court violated the law. Our constitution gives this power to regulate civil laws to the states as part of the 10th amendment. I do not recognize the illegal action of these robed tyrants who are illegally creating laws as if they were the legislative branch. Kim Davis was right to resist,her state government should have supported her.
The tenth amendment only can be used so long as it don't break any other part of the Constitution whether originally in there or changed by an amendment. These laws broke the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment despite allowing the 10th to have teeth. See the issue?

Old 05-04-2017, 06:57 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,598,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
The tenth amendment only can be used so long as it don't break any other part of the Constitution whether originally in there or changed by an amendment. These laws broke the equal protection clause of the 14th amendment despite allowing the 10th to have teeth. See the issue?
The 14th has been completely misinterpreted by judges wanting the federal government to have more power than it should over states. The only way the 14th should apply is if marriage were federal law, which it isn't.

If the 14th were applied that way across the board, a person in Illinois couldn't be prosecuted for smoking marijuana due to it being legal in Colorado.

BTW, I am in favor of gay marriage and I think pot, a plant, shouldn't be illegal.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:15 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,109,824 times
The law sides with man in our nation today. Davis sides with God. I support Davis instead of glorifying mans sin. She has God on her side- "If God be for us, who can be against us"- Romans 8:31.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies