Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2017, 02:52 PM

17,342 posts, read 11,277,677 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
How do the people who are cheering this feel about Congress exempting themselves from this bill? Taking the time to write that into the bill proves that even they know it's a POS, but they don't care because it's not going to affect them.

I'd love to hear some cult justification for that. If it's such a good law, why did the House Republicans go out of their way to make sure they are exempt from it?
They exempted themselves from Obamacare too and they'll exempt themselves from any national healthcare laws because they have the very best already. Hello?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 02:53 PM

41,110 posts, read 25,730,963 times
Thousands of Obamacare Customers Left Without Options as Insurers Bolt

https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2...insurer-exits/

Old 05-04-2017, 02:54 PM

7,269 posts, read 4,212,399 times
Quote:
I watched my mom die before the ACA from something that if she would have had insurance would have been caught early enough to save her life.
Who's fault is it that your mother didn't have insurance? Why didn't YOU or your family help her and watch out for her then? These type of "if not for the ACA" posts are off base. Anyone can walk into an emergency room and get free care BTW if they are not insured - why didn't she do that? Was she old enough for medicare?

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Paul Ryan just said they're NOT exempting themselves.
he also said pre existing conditions are covered and they are clearly not. you could drive a bus through the carefully crafted holes in this bill.

it is literally designed to kill pre existing coverage, co pay caps, employer provisions.

While it will likely not pass, some form will and we will hold the GOPs feet to the fire.

in my state we know of one GOP Rep who is likely going down just over this. Hard to believe he just gave u his career, he needed to stand on the roof tops shouting his best bet is to change party today.

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I just don't see why some people can't see the devastation that being denied insurance due to a preexisting condition caused. And sooner or later everyone aquires a preexisting condition.

If you still can't afford the premiums it's all.moot, correct?

16,956 posts, read 16,753,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Show me an ER that treats cancer, MS, or diabetes.
Actually, they are required to treat cancer patients: Hospitals are required to provide treatment under the Hill-Burton Hospital Program. Hospitals that receive construction funds from the federal government must provide some services to cancer patients who can't afford to pay for their care. Approximately 300 hospitals take part in this program.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:55 PM

17,401 posts, read 11,973,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
I just don't see why some people can't see the devastation that being denied insurance due to a preexisting condition caused. And sooner or later everyone aquires a preexisting condition.
I can certainly see it. But I also can see the devastation caused by high premiums and deductibles that are so costly the person might as well not have insurance, since they can't afford to go to the doctor.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Hahaha!

I can't wait till the insurance companies start combing through medical records and putting hundreds of thousands of people in the pre existing condition pool.

The insurers are really going to clean up.

Get ready people. If the insurers find ONE set of vitals with a B/P of say, 142/80 they will assign you a Hx of Hypertension. Ever complain of back ache, knee pain, etc? Welcome to the pre existing conditions pools. Did you have gestational diabetes, preeclampsia? Gotcha!

I'm gonna have to stock up on popcorn.
People's memories are pretty short I'm afraid. While this kind of thing will start in the individual market, it will spread into the low end of employer policies (what ones are left since there will no longer be an employer mandate). The abuses that made health insurance such an issue through the 90's and 2000's will all be back with a vengeance. It was not a pleasant landscape then and it won't be again with Trumpcare.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:56 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
OH DEAR you messed up . you tried to debate this. FL Blue cross, is legally required to pay out 80% of all monies collected. and a max 20% for various overhead. they made 17% which means overhead was 3%.

but it gets better 92% of FL ACA receive PREMIUM tax credits to take the sting out of the costs.
hat you did was simply give me more reason to PROVE it works. We know you hate seeing ACA work, we know you want to believe it is dying.

but with over 1.1 MILLION floridians on ACA and with 92% of them receiving tax credits it sounds like a win to me.

FL has about 7 insurers for 2017! FLORIDA is a swing state they want this to work so they are making it work . The GOP is LYING and breaking ACA out of spite and hate. They are liars , you know it , i know the whole of the USA knows that is why almost 70% of americans are now saying fix it , do not repeal do not repeal. GOP has spent a huge amount of effort to scare off insurers trying to break it.

https://www.healthinsurance.org/flor...ance-exchange/

https://www.cms.gov/Newsroom/MediaRe...016-03-11.html

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...NEWS/160619946
What are you smoking insurance companies are most certainly part of the problem. You're crazy if you think it works. How does it work if some people are paying $1,000.00 a month? Some single people with no kids, no family, nothing, are paying $300.00 and still have large out of pocket expenses. Ludicrous! Not to mention they always try to get out of covering pre-existing conditions.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:57 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,635,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by illtaketwoplease View Post
Who's fault is it that your mother didn't have insurance? Why didn't YOU or your family help her and watch out for her then? These type of "if not for the ACA" are off base. Anyone can walk into an emergency room and get free care BTW if they are not insured - why didn't she do that? Was she old enough for medicare?
ER won't save someone with a chronic condition, they turn you away unless your symptoms are acute. And care costs. Some folk just don't have the dollars to get to the doctor. we have help a number of families over the years, it is shocking just how poor some people are. they work, but they just dont make enough.

even water is costly in the USA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies