Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 03:36 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Love how the author made it seem Angie was black.

The article had racial overtones and i am not here for it.

She did not have to mention a brown arm.
I noticed that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 04:19 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,187,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To me, hiring a killer to kill your baby in the womb is no different than hiring a killer to kill your 5 year old.
The question of when humanity begins for the set of cells in utero is unanswerable.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:24 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedZin View Post
I would agree with this if one could become pregnant deliberately.

False equivalency.
I didn't know that there were so many virgin births!
Thank you for the information.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Fiction

Old 05-05-2017, 05:41 AM

19,024 posts, read 14,201,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Is your argument that a "baby" in early gestation is sentient? Cause if so seems like there should be some pretty solid evidence for that that you could present if true. Everything I have seen suggest no higher thought patterns until 20+ weeks. Which is right around where most of the current restrictions kick in.
You may twist and spin words to suit yourself. If you wish to authorize killing potential human beings, that's your choice. But do not pretend it's from any logical or moral high ground. It is feticide.

FETICIDE - an abortion, specifically, the killing of a fetus. One who kills a fetus. The act of destroying a fetus or causing an abortion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hippocratic_Oath
“... I will not give to a woman an abortive remedy.” (Variation 1)
“... I will not give a woman a pessary to cause an abortion.” (Variation 2)
Abortion doctors are “oath breakers.”

I suspect there are some people who wish they were aborted. I haven’t met any, though.

A civilization formed to help secure the right to life of its members cannot endure feticide-for-convenience. There can be no accounting for the loss of irreplaceable individuals who were prevented from existing. No outcry can be heard from the aborted. Their voices can never be heard.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:26 AM

36,527 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
If I recall, I helped some patients who couldn't read well, or couldn't read at all, to fill out forms. Patients shared their experiences with me, also. I don't remember much more, as it has been over two decades ago that I volunteered at Planned Parenthood. The organization did much good. That little clinic was always busy. I volunteered there for a few years.
I guess its best these women had abortions if they were so uneducated they couldn't read. I cant imagine they could raise a child much less three. Where the heck was this. I remember about 40 years ago I knew of a couple elderly people who couldn't read. That is really sad.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:31 AM

36,527 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
To me, hiring a killer to kill your baby in the womb is no different than hiring a killer to kill your 5 year old.
You sound like those ignorant legislators that would force women to have a funeral for the fetal remains of a miscarriage or abortion.
Do you feel miscarriage should come with a negligence or involuntary manslaughter charge.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:22 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
And your argument is that you can't discern the difference between sentient life and any life?
Here you indicate that sentience has some bearing on the discussion but then here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
You may twist and spin words to suit yourself. If you wish to authorize killing potential human beings, that's your choice.
You have moved the goal post and now you care about "potential" human life. Not my fault your argument fails to be logically consistent, also funny that you double down on the hypocrisy by accusing me of twisting words while you are humping the goal posts another 50 yards down the line.

So is it sentience that matters or is it "potential" human life and how far back down the causality chain is potential human life defined.

Sperm cells? Egg cells? Frozen fertilized eggs used for IVF?

When they dispose of a rack of fertilized eggs used in IVF is that mass murder?

If disposing of a rack of fertilized eggs used in IVF is not murder, why would aborting a fertilized egg be murder? The only difference at that point is the location of the fertilized egg. Every single fertilized IVF egg is also a potential human life with its own unique DNA.

Last edited by zzzSnorlax; 05-05-2017 at 07:47 AM..

Old 05-05-2017, 10:13 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseygal4u View Post
Love how the author made it seem Angie was black.

The article had racial overtones and i am not here for it.

She did not have to mention a brown arm.
A fetus looks very pale in utero and you don't see any of them settling into a color that you could squarely identify as one race/ethnicity or another until they're born and breathing their own air, etc. It takes a while for their color to come into their limbs.

So, yeah... was an attempt to shame black women and/or latina women.

Which is disgusting because these are disproportionately the SAME WOMEN who get so much shaming for needing government assistance and are criticized for even having sex and reproducing in the first place.

Old 05-05-2017, 10:41 AM

2,319 posts, read 2,558,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Logic. Critical thinking. Similar posts from the same poster again and again. Poster has a mission, and I can respect that since it's a controversial subject, I surely struggle with it. But oh my gosh! This "article" is beyond stupid.
I have struggled with this issue too, for many years. I am pro-choice, but I am not pro-abortion. To the best of my understanding, Planned Parenthood does not "encourage" abortions, but presents all options to the women who come to them for assistance (I noticed in the article an add for someone asking you to help her defund Planned Parenthood).

Actually, I can see a woman like this trying to joke about the situation. But usually that would be a coverup for her emotions. I think most women are very torn and not casual at all when they come for an abortion, but I did learn that I was originally wrong and that there are women who use abortion as birth control after one of my work acquaintances did just that years ago. I was very sad for her lack of concern and reverence for life and it changed my relationship with her...I tried not to judge her, but I just couldn't get over her cavalier attitude about it. Nevertheless, I still support choice. I hate to think of us as a nation going back to the days of back-alley abortions when many women bled to death or died from infections after getting an illegal abortion.

I also stand by my belief that if we wake up tomorrow and there has been a paradigm shift and suddenly men could get pregnant too, this issue would quietly -- but quickly -- go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies