Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 09:16 PM

37,097 posts, read 42,098,467 times

Advertisements

One thing I always bring up when discussing affordable housing is that we just don't build simple, plain, no nonsense housing anymore. There are older housing stock that fit that description but it seems that, in CA anyway, whenever anything affordable is proposed it's just as a percentage of whatever upscale housing is being built and every complex needs a park and a pool and other 'nice to haves'. Heck, I myself would like something simple even though I can afford market rate, but if I want to downsize to a 2 bed condo all the new stuff comes with a $400+ a month HOA fee to cover all the extras I don't even want.

I can't speak for what Ben Carson means but I get the sentiment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2017, 09:44 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,655,017 times
I'm not talking lavish, a roof over our poverty stricken people is what it's about. And there is more to this story but I can't find it right now.

And as for jobs, look at the vets that made it home and no jobs for them. More homeless vets on LA streets than anywhere.

Old 07-01-2017, 10:22 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
I'm not talking lavish, a roof over our poverty stricken people is what it's about. And there is more to this story but I can't find it right now.

And as for jobs, look at the vets that made it home and no jobs for them. More homeless vets on LA streets than anywhere.
Homelessness is a mental health issue overall. You know that living in SM. Go down to the pier tomorrow and talk to some of them. They're not playing with a full deck. It's a sad situation.

The benign climate, friendly attitude toward leaving them alone, and handouts from tourists allows them to maintain life and nothing more.

Last I checked you needed a minimum of $1,800 for a studio in SM. If it was simply a matter of jobs and getting on your feet those folks would be working in some small town in the South or Midwest. My last studio in Ohio before I moved out to L.A. is currently renting for $400 per month (I checked on craigslist).

It's a mental health issue along with addiction. These folks need serious help before they can even consider jobs never mind affording a place to live.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:20 AM

3,788 posts, read 1,752,408 times
Ben Carson doesn't have a clue what he is doing leading the HUD program.

To the person above who said those who live in affordable housing shouldn't have a washer/ dryer----seriously that is not a luxury that is a basic need, everybody deserves clean clothing, bedding and other linens.
Going to the laundry mat can be very expensive for folks with very little money.

I think the veterans deserve the best we have to offer. They fought for our country. Everyone else who qualifies deserve clean, safe and decent housing.

A lot of people here don't seem to care at all, sad.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:29 AM

4,514 posts, read 2,507,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
Ben Carson doesn't have a clue what he is doing leading the HUD program.

To the person above who said those who live in affordable housing shouldn't have a washer/ dryer----seriously that is not a luxury that is a basic need, everybody deserves clean clothing, bedding and other linens.
Going to the laundry mat can be very expensive for folks with very little money.

I think the veterans deserve the best we have to offer. They fought for our country. Everyone else who qualifies deserve clean, safe and decent housing.

A lot of people here don't seem to care at all, sad.
I know this will come as a shock, but clothes can be HAND WASHED and LINE DRIED!! Amazing, I know, but this super secret technique involves water, your own hands, detergent and a piece of clothesline. It works even without electricity!!! Clothes can be hung to dry inside or outside. And except for the cost of water and detergent, it's free!!!
I heard about this amazing thing, when I rented a home, and wasn't being paid enough to afford to go to a laundromat, or able to buy my own washer and dryer. And it wasn't great, but I did appreciate it when I got a job that paid better and I could buy luxury items like a washer and dryer.
No, washers and dryers are not necessities anymore than a dishwasher or tv is.

Old 07-02-2017, 12:52 AM

175 posts, read 201,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spottednikes View Post
I know this will come as a shock, but clothes can be HAND WASHED and LINE DRIED!! Amazing, I know, but this super secret technique involves water, your own hands, detergent and a piece of clothesline. It works even without electricity!!! Clothes can be hung to dry inside or outside. And except for the cost of water and detergent, it's free!!!
I heard about this amazing thing, when I rented a home, and wasn't being paid enough to afford to go to a laundromat, or able to buy my own washer and dryer. And it wasn't great, but I did appreciate it when I got a job that paid better and I could buy luxury items like a washer and dryer.
No, washers and dryers are not necessities anymore than a dishwasher or tv is.

Are you serious? So a single mom with a couple of kids, gets no child support from the father, has no transportation, works at a dead end job or jobs for long hours and you expect them to cook healthy meals when there are nothing but food deserts where she lives and do her clothes and the children's clothes by hand and hope they dry before they have to wear them again....does she get to sleep at all?

And you think the elderly, disabled, and/or veterans should live uncomfortably too?

Do you have any idea how the rich oftentimes keep the poor down and make it very difficult to rise up in the world even in the smallest ways?

I bet you think it is just great that the Republicans are trying to push through a medical plan that leaves around 20 million people without insurance but gives the richest another tax break!

Old 07-02-2017, 04:15 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,576,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
LOL at Ben Carson.

If he implements any sort of HUD rule regarding making housing "less comfortable" he is going to get HUD sued out of the wazoo. I worked in housing for many years and those residents know their rights...
I seriously doubt that.

Their only rights are the natural rights we all have and which are protected (not granted) by the Constitution.

They have the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

The PURSUIT of happiness.

See?

They have the right to PURSUE happiness.

They do not... no one has... the right to happiness.

We all have the right to PURSUE our happiness.

If there are laws that allow people to exploit and take advantage of the system, these laws can be amended or repealed.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinytrump View Post
so make the people who live there - help clean up the place - paint, send them to be plumbers and electricians - teach them to cut trees, and so forth- part of the free-> education with duties
I completely agree.

Been advocating the same for years.

No able-bodied person should get assistance for nothing.

But, teaching them a trade could really change their lives for the better.

Plumbers and welders can make serious moolah.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnduringWon View Post
So a single mom with a couple of kids...
Why does she have a couple of kids?

Why is it my problem that she has more kids than she can afford?

Seriously. I am curious.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wintergirl80 View Post
To the person above who said those who live in affordable housing shouldn't have a washer/ dryer----seriously that is not a luxury that is a basic need...
Nonsense.

I washed clothes on a washboard when I started out.

And as someone above responded, a dryer is not at all a necessity. I don't have a dryer, even now.

My wife says she doesn't want one, either.

Talk about entitled.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies