Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 10:51 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,724,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Jo,

What exactly is your point to the post???

are you wanting airlines to be disbanded??

are you saying they are doing something illegal...if so wouldn't the FAA or AG already have looked into this??

airline travel today is for the most part affordable, and certainly less time consuming that traveling over land/sea... are there some draw backs (security, sardineville cabins( which expose us to more viruses or discomforts) , possibly less O2, those that fly in the higher altitudes exposed to more solar radiation, etc)... you go back 50 years, and only the rich flew or had access to flight....
My point is that either airlines should properly pressurize their cabins or supplement their cabins with oxygen to maintain a physiologically normal oxygen level in the air we breathe!

If, in my line of work, I reduced a patient's fraction of inspired oxygen to 0.15 and allowed a patients oxygen saturation to fall below 90% as a result, I would be charged with neglect and possibly face criminal charges.

Oxygen concentrations as low as the studies found on flying passengers and crew are Russian-roulette for each individual depending on their health.

I would be willing to pay extra for a safe oxygen level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 10:54 AM

9,918 posts, read 5,594,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Unless Denver or Albuquerque or Mexico City is at an attitude above 30,000 feet, you don't have any idea what you are saying. Oxygen levels continue to drop as the altitude increases.
Let me review your own post for you: "These aircraft are flying at higher altitudes, up to 39 000 ft or above. The in-cabin pressure corresponds to an altitude of 5000–6000 ft, and to a fraction of inspired oxygen of 0.17–0.15 at ground level." The human body can function just fine at 5000-6000 ft, and whole cities with millions of people exist at those elevations and higher.

Quote:
I can't believe people don't care that their health is being risked from low oxygen on flights! The very least, airlines can supplement the cabins with oxygen.
The reason why nobody's alarmed is because there's no cause for alarm.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:55 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,849,772 times
Been flying for years. Never had a problem, and even my mom on a long long flight to China with heart issues never had a problem.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,406,864 times
Quote:
My point is that either airlines should properly pressurize their cabins or supplement their cabins with oxygen to maintain a physiologically normal oxygen level in the air we breathe!

If, in my line of work, I reduced a patient's fraction of inspired oxygen to 0.15 and allowed a patients oxygen saturation to fall below 90% as a result, I would be charged with neglect and possibly face criminal charges.

Oxygen concentrations as low as the studies found on flying passengers and crew are Russian-roulette for each individual depending on their health.

I would be willing to pay extra for a safe oxygen level.

this may help
https://www.uptodate.com/contents/su...ond-the-basics
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies