Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:03 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,922,002 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post
Yes Medicare is worthless. Drs not taking Medicare patients.
I've never had any trouble finding a doctor in any state, and I'm on Medicare. In states like FL, many doctors would have to close their practices if they stopped seeing their Medicare patients.

Quote:
I take no pills.

Pharmaceutical companies mean nothing.
There it is, folks! "Me, Me, Me" I hear from so many conservatives that "it doesn't affect me, so I don't care what happens to anyone else."

I'm guessing if this poster needed a $10,000 a month drug to save his life or lessen his pain, he'd be singing a different tune.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2017, 07:07 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Let ACA fail.

Then repeal and then get government out of health care.

Too late! The Republicans failed to listen to your advice. Oh, well. Let's see how they do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You said get the government out of health care. That includes medicare.

Don't touch their Medicare!

Quote:
Yes Medicare is worthless. Drs not taking Medicare patients.
False. My elderly father (now deceased) saw fine doctor's and surgeons from the Cleveland Clinic to PCP's.

I work all day with people on Medicare; they are most certainly seeing doctors.

Old 05-04-2017, 07:43 PM

21,430 posts, read 7,447,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
There it is, folks! "Me, Me, Me" I hear from so many conservatives that "it doesn't affect me, so I don't care what happens to anyone else..
Total lack of empathy. Sad!

Old 05-04-2017, 07:53 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,990,937 times
Senate saying no way they will pass it?

Old 05-04-2017, 08:02 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Total lack of empathy. Sad!
Right up until mister perfect lifestyle gets aids or hep C from his dentist without even knowing it. Then the tune will change in a hurry.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:35 AM

19,013 posts, read 14,186,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco kid View Post
Wrong. Healthcare costs at least twice as much in the privatized US then it does in single-payer countries. The exact same prescription drugs cost two to ten times as much in the US then in Canada or Mexico.

How do you explain that? Or can you? Please provide facts not mindless slogans and hyperbole.
Cost differential is due to the government and medical establishment.

The Wellness Revolution - Geoff Tabin
An example of the inexpensive medical care is cataract surgery in the third world.
Tabin and Ruit deliver cataract surgery at $20 per surgery. Which is 175 times cheaper than $3,500 (U.S.A.) pricetag, thanks to the medical insurance “industry” and government meddling.
. . . .
High costs?
Blame government licensing and the AMA for eradicating medical schools... and thus created scarcity of trained professionals, boosted the cost, and drove us into this quagmire.

(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medica...#United_States)
In the nineteenth century, there were over four hundred medical schools in the United States. By 1910, the number was reduced to one hundred and forty-eight medical schools and by 1930 the number totaled only seventy-six. Many early medical schools were criticized for not sufficiently preparing their students for medical professions, leading to the creation of the American Medical Association in 1847 for the purpose of self-regulation of the profession.

Abraham Flexner (who in 1910 released the Flexner report with the Carnegie Foundation), the Rockefeller Foundation, and the AMA are credited with laying the groundwork for what is now known as the modern medical curriculum.
. . .
(Other references)
In 1904, there were 160 M.D. granting institutions with more than 28,000 students.

By 1920, there were only 85 M.D. granting institutions, educating only 13,800 students.

By 1935, there were only 66 medical schools operating in the USA.

Despite the population doubling every 50 years, the number of medical schools was reduced, as well as the number of graduates.

Countries Compared by Health > Physicians > Per 1,000 people. International Statistics at NationMaster.com

• Physicians per capita
• USA ranks 52nd - 2.3 per 1,000 people
• Belarus has over twice as many - 4.55 per 1,000 people
• Cuba is ranked #2 - 5.91 per 1,000 people - almost THREE TIMES as many physicians per capita as the USA. Which might explain how Cuba can provide more inexpensive health care to more people.

Any massive increase in the number of patients without an increase in trained health care professionals will result in delays, triage and rationing.

. . .
HIGH PRICE PHARMACEUTICALS?
Blame government (FDA).
Every regulatory hurdle and bureaucratic red tape adds to the cost passed on to the patient.
Ditto, for taxes. All corporate taxes migrate to the retail price, because the consumer is always the REAL TAXPAYER. (Where else do corporations get the money to pay their taxes?)

In short, the GOVERNMENT is the source of the problem, not the solution.
Get government out of health care completely.

Old 05-05-2017, 05:59 AM

5,728 posts, read 3,248,892 times
Access to Health insurance is not something owed to you from the government.

you do have the right to acquire it on you own.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:33 AM

8,224 posts, read 3,493,553 times
Quote:
Let ACA fail.

Then repeal and then get government out of health care.
Exactly.

Government does not have a purpose meddling in personal responsibilities. If you choose security over liberty you shall receive neither. A government that has the power to give everything, has the power to take everything and then some.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:41 AM

17,156 posts, read 12,949,556 times
Why not wait to vote on the bill until Congress comes back from their next vacation? Trump already failed at passing meaningful legislation during his first 100 days in office so thinking this healthcare bill through a loo
Ttle while certainly won't hurt. The Republicans have nothing to lose by slowing down.

If the bill passes and it's a bad one, the Republicans will get blamed for passing a law even worse than Obamacare and that would be really bad for them. If the bill fails, they will be blamed for jumping the gun again. The only way they win is if they pass a bill that is far better than Obamacare right now, which is very unlikely. They are risking alienating even their own constituents with this approach.

Old 05-05-2017, 06:53 AM

4,798 posts, read 3,505,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
This has been a GOP campaign promise for years and they didn't want to be embarassed during the upcoming recess by constituents asking why they haven't gotten anything accomplished. There hasn't been time to read, debate, get a CBO score on the bill so hopefully no one bothers to ask them WHY they voted or WHAT it's going to do, they just want to be able to say they passed a bill to repeal Obamacare, period.
Just goes to show you both sides of the political spectrum dont give a crap about who voted them into office. enlightening isnt it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies