Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 05:50 PM

20,722 posts, read 16,368,709 times

Advertisements

Here are the steps most bills go through:

https://www.carper.senate.gov/public...-becomes-a-law

1. Have an Idea.
2. Write a Bill.
3. Debate in Committee
The chair of the committee may decide to hold a hearing in order to examine the legislation. During a hearing, committee members invite policy experts, agency representatives, and other stakeholders to testify on how the bill will affect the country. After holding a hearing or hearings, the chair of the committee can decide to hold a "markup" during which committee members debate, modify, and ultimately vote for or against the bill. If the majority of the committee members vote favorably for the bill, it is advanced to the Senate floor, where every Senator has an opportunity to review and debate the legislation.

4. Debate on the Senate Floor
After being voted upon favorably by a committee, the bill is referred to the full Senate for a vote. Here, the Majority Leader of the Senate is responsible for deciding when to bring up a piece of legislation for a vote and what type of vote it needs. Sometimes, a non-controversial bill will be “hotlined”, which means the Majority Leader and Minority Leader -- after consulting with their Senate colleagues -- agree to pass the legislation by unanimous consent and without a roll-call vote in order to save time by moving legislation more quickly. Often times, though, legislation requires more debate and must be discussed in-depth on the Senate floor. During the floor debate, every Senator is given the opportunity to speak for or against a bill and multiple votes are taken to move the bill through the legislative process. After much debate and consideration, the Majority leader may schedule a vote with all the Senators.

5. Work with House Colleagues
6. Negotiate Compromises in Conference
7. Send it to the President for a signature
8. Reauthorization

Let's hope no more steps are skipped or rushed.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:50 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
All I'm going to say is that I hate this administration with the white hot heat of a thousand suns.
May I use that en quote!

And I already have.

But with your moniker.

Old 05-06-2017, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
All I'm going to say is that I hate this administration with the white hot heat of a thousand suns.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMKSarah View Post
May I use that en quote!

And I already have.

But with your moniker.
I'm flattered but it's actually adapted from "The Taming of the Shrew" so I can't take any credit...and now I'm politicizing again....although it WAS the current administration that is ramming through this abomination...can't get around it.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:25 PM

588 posts, read 463,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Well not exactly...let's differentiate opinion from fact. Her statement was outright incorrect. Now for my statement - it's somewhat debatable wheather it can be fixed or not. It's not a black and white issue but, for instance, the last insurer in Iowa just pulled out of the market due to rising costs. For all intents and purposes, Obamacare no longer exists in Iowa.
There simply isn't enough young people in the insurance pool to pay for the old and sick. Sure obamacare can survive by pumping massive amounts of federal funds into it and let the national debt take the hit and letting our children take on the costs, like we do for everything else. But that was not the intent. Left alone, it will collapse - but again that's open to opinions.
DT,

I say this with all the compassion in the world. are you in Iowa? Or somewhere like that? Yes, I agree, completely, that this is wrong. Completely wrong. I will fight for Iowa and places like this.

Like my neighbor who is 80 said
If you drive
I will hold the sign

Old 05-06-2017, 06:38 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,454,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I do not trust insurance companies since they refused me coverage at age 62 (7 years ago) because I had controlled high blood pressure and osteoarthritis.

I was shocked since both maladies are extremely common. And the blood pressure has always been fully controlled with medication. Both were considered pre-existing conditions apparently.
Wanna bet WHO else has controlled high blood pressure and osteoarthritis? There's no way that the FAT DUDE in CHIEF does not have osteoarthritis in his knees, at least, and probably in his hips.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Well not exactly...let's differentiate opinion from fact. Her statement was outright incorrect. Now for my statement - it's somewhat debatable wheather it can be fixed or not. It's not a black and white issue but, for instance, the last insurer in Iowa just pulled out of the market due to rising costs. For all intents and purposes, Obamacare no longer exists in Iowa.
There simply isn't enough young people in the insurance pool to pay for the old and sick. Sure obamacare can survive by pumping massive amounts of federal funds into it and let the national debt take the hit and letting our children take on the costs, like we do for everything else. But that was not the intent. Left alone, it will collapse - but again that's open to opinions.
We don't expect wars to pay for themselves - we go hundreds of billions into debt for those with barely a blink of the eye. Yet we expect healthcare to work like a business with no outlay at all for the good of our citizenry? Sure...healthcare takes money...just like maintenance of roads, bridges, etc. takes money. We pay taxes and stuff gets fixed.

Young people subsidize the old because THEY TOO WILL BE OLD SOME DAY...and be subsidized themselves. Right...we all want our fair share NOW...THIS MINUTE. We can't wait because we're so sure it will be taken away before we can get ours. Too bad we have so little faith from past government actions. We should be able to count on our govt. to do right for its people.

Old 05-06-2017, 06:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
you are right about Iowa - but you would have providers if the risk corridors had not been defunded in 2014. Those were in the plan in order to subsidize providers in markets where they were losing money. The other problem is that providers are pulling out of markets due to uncertainty. The individual mandate was killed last month so fewer young healthy people will be buying insurance and the constant drone of repeal and replace probably has left insurance companies freaking out.

I'm hoping that the Senate will prop up the market in states like Iowa at least until they can come up with a long term fix. I think that an 'incentive' to keeping private insurers in a state would be the threat that if they all pulled out the residents of the state would be covered by medicare

Old 05-06-2017, 07:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,505,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Wanna bet WHO else has controlled high blood pressure and osteoarthritis? There's no way that the FAT DUDE in CHIEF does not have osteoarthritis in his knees, at least, and probably in his hips.
The dude in charge was born rich and has never had to worry about healthcare a day in his life. Whatever he needs, he gets. He's never had to worry like the rest of us.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:33 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,580,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Trump does not walk and move as if he has osteoarthritis in his knees and hips. As an aside, he looks a bit lighter in weight after eating the very good White House food for over 3 months. And it's not just weight which causes osteoarthritis.

(he plays golf every week, swings the golf clubs, not sure if he ever walks the golf course while playing golf rather than using a golf cart)

There are many degrees of osteoarthritis, from very severe, debilitating, making one unable to walk or barely able to, very painful - to the mild cases.

As for blood pressure, I think I read that he takes a statin for high cholesterol, but blood pressure medications, not sure they were mentioned.

Last edited by matisse12; 05-06-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 05-06-2017, 08:20 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
This stuff is expensive who should pay for it. Has that been fully discussed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies