Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 02:16 PM

174 posts, read 113,128 times

Advertisements

I don't see how anyone can profit by insuring sick people.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:18 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
I got a different unpopular opinion. Health insurance should be completely done away with. They exist as a parasite on the revenue stream between consumers and medical care providers and are the root cause of a lot of the major issues we have with health care in America.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:20 PM

1,868 posts, read 3,067,952 times
And therein lies the problem. Healthcare should not be for profit.

I'm pretty libertarian and pro small government but I do think all governments should provide three basic services:

Emergency services
Infrastructure
Healthcare

I think this is the fundamental disagreement between most people on the issue.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I got a different unpopular opinion. Health insurance should be completely done away with. They exist as a parasite on the revenue stream between consumers and medical care providers and are the root cause of a lot of the major issues we have with health care in America.

I actually agree. They really are a middle man. A lot of basic procedures will become cheaper if insurance was done away with. No more $17 aspirin pills.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

3,569 posts, read 2,520,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatomicbomb90 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
Well, if insurance doesn't cover the sick, then it's not really insurance. Do away with health insurance, then people with major illnesses don't get treatment and they die.

Other rich countries do something else: they socialize health insurance.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
And therein lies the problem. Healthcare should not be for profit.

I'm pretty libertarian and pro small government but I do think all governments should provide three basic services:

Emergency services
Infrastructure
Healthcare

I think this is the fundamental disagreement between most people on the issue.
Do you think education for be for profit? I think a better educated populace is more useful than one that gets healthcare for free. Plus, if we make healthcare non profit, where will the urge for innovation come from? I rather see advancements in medicine than see a high school make profit.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCityTheBridge View Post
Well, if insurance doesn't cover the sick, then it's not really insurance. Do away with health insurance, then people with major illnesses don't get treatment and they die.

Other rich countries do something else: they socialize health insurance.

only some people.....

and if we socialize health insurance, where will advancements in medicine come from? If there is no incentive, there will be no more research into preventing diseases.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:27 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Thats the key,there should be no profit in healthcare.
By your logic where are sick people to go for healthcare if they are denied coverage due to cancer or pre existing conditions.

Old 05-04-2017, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Thats the key,there should be no profit in healthcare.
By your logic where are sick people to go for healthcare if they are denied coverage due to cancer or pre existing conditions.
loans or death

Old 05-04-2017, 02:29 PM

7,357 posts, read 6,526,600 times
Quote:
only some people.....

and if we socialize health insurance, where will advancements in medicine come from? If there is no incentive, there will be no more research into preventing diseases.
There are no incentives now! If a someone invents a cure for cancer, they won't be able to keep profiting off of "treatments."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies