Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would 'Single Payer' healthcare be sustainable in the U.S. on a National level?
Yes 121 71.18%
No 49 28.82%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 11:57 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
How many new drugs, treatments and technological advances are coming out of Australia? How is the R&D funded in Australia?
Thats the classic big pharma talking points. "we have to rip off the American people because...R&D!!". Lies, lies, lies.

Why do you carry water for them? Because you like that we pay more than twice as much for prescription drugs as any other country?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 11:59 AM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,557,894 times
Quote:
Then why do all those amazing countries offer private insurance that the wealthy purchase to bypass the substandard care of the single payer crap care?
You do know in this country the super wealthy bypass good insurance and just go to private doctors directly

Why do people from around the world come to this country for surgeries and treatments they cannot get in their own countries?
You do know that people travel from all over the world to get health treatment in Britain - which has a single payer system and has done for 50 years or so

The only thing single payer does is provide substandard care to everyone EXCEPT the wealthy, who can afford to pay for excellent health care.
Infant mortality rate? US lags UK
Life expectancy? US lags UK
Healthcare costs due to insurance cos. & associated mess: Dramatically higher in US vs UK

The middle class once again gets screwed because of those who are not willing to suck it up and deal with the fact that life is not fair and they are not entitled to other people's earnings!!
The middle class in the US goes bankrupt and sells their house that they spent all their life paying for and hope to pass onto their children when they hit the inevitable outrageous medical bills of old age

I helpfully annotated your quote. But as a poster using the word wicket, you probably knew this already.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:00 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,958,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You're clearly deluded:
Nope, updated information from January 2017 shows that the Big Mac costs $4.22 in Denmark and $5.06 in America. Not your ancient numbers:

Interactive currency-comparison tool: The Big Mac index | The Economist

Thats quite amazing considering McDonalds pay $18 an hour and great benefits there.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
How many new drugs, treatments and technological advances are coming out of Australia? How is the R&D funded in Australia?
red herring, there are strong companies around the globe and we are the only developed nation without a public system of some form or another.

research it, theere are plenty of them. I invest in a bunch which is how i know. They often do cross license deals with US companies and branding might led you to believe it was invented here.

Also they often launch here exactly to get the stupid high prices they can here...

if you doubt it, just research it from any angle you like. You will find pharma medical devices etc are extremely competitive and thriving around the world. I target French and german companies because the returns are solid long term investments and provide a currency hedge. sweet divs too.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:01 PM

778 posts, read 339,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokinouta View Post
I doubt regulated government care would be any worse, might be better. Right now our third largest killer in this country after cancer and heart disease is "medical mistakes." How could it get worse?
Having done medical malpractice litigation in my past, I can assure you that the medical screw up from military hospitals outpaced private medical mistakes in both number and outrageousness. But military personnel are banned from suing the government for medical screw-ups.

How many medical malpractice lawsuits are brought in Australia or China for fatal or life altering medical errors?

Old 05-05-2017, 12:02 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Thats the classic big pharma talking points. "we have to rip off the American people because...R&D!!". Lies, lies, lies.

Why do you carry water for them? Because you like that we pay more than twice as much for prescription drugs as any other country?
You can just answer the question honestly. Nowhere in the world produces new medicines at the same rate as the US. Those medicines are not only used in the US, but also abroad.

I'm all for a single payer system but the big pharma conspiracy crap just makes people simple minded. Drop it already.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:03 PM

778 posts, read 339,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Objective Detective View Post
Did you see the healthcare system in the film 'Idiocracy' ? Check it out if haven't.

That would be the end result of single payer and that is where the country would be if liberals had all of their dystopic pipe dreams given to them. Of course they would still blame liberty loving conservatives for all all their failures.
LOL.... I am absolutely SURE that I do not want that health care, but you are right. Idiocracy is like a documentary of things to come!

Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,476,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
It sounds like you are saying you think the whole idea bad because you believe your employer would not give you some of the savings.

You understand that YOUR portion would go down or vanish. thus you would still come out ahead.

even if you broke even how is it bad. It seems to me you are shifting ground to avoid admitting it can work and that you would most likely gain or at least not be hurt.

You no longer have anything to object to ref universal coverage.
huh...

my cost( a taxpayer) will triple if not more...because now instead of me paying 500 per month and the employer paying 1500/month... that whole 2k/month cost is on me and other taxpayers

uhc/singlepayer will kill the average working taxpayer

Old 05-05-2017, 12:04 PM
bg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilcart View Post
red herring, there are strong companies around the globe and we are the only developed nation without a public system of some form or another.

research it, theere are plenty of them. I invest in a bunch which is how i know. They often do cross license deals with US companies and branding might led you to believe it was invented here.

Also they often launch here exactly to get the stupid high prices they can here...

if you doubt it, just research it from any angle you like. You will find pharma medical devices etc are extremely competitive and thriving around the world. I target French and german companies because the returns are solid long term investments and provide a currency hedge. sweet divs too.
There's no comparison whatsoever in medical adavnces in small molecules, biologics and in most medical device arenas. You're talking like a finance guy for sure - blather.

Again - I'm someone who supports a single payer system. But bull**** is bull****.

But you are right its a red herring, since the relevant industry is the insurance industry, not pharma.

Old 05-05-2017, 12:08 PM

9,837 posts, read 4,634,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
You can just answer the question honestly. Nowhere in the world produces new medicines at the same rate as the US. Those medicines are not only used in the US, but also abroad.

I'm all for a single payer system but the big pharma conspiracy crap just makes people simple minded. Drop it already.
The USA does indeed have a thriving pharma, but it has much more to do with the excellent partnerships between federal research funding, universities , tax structure and industry.

They also enjoy fat margins in the USA, but the model would be fine with or without them. It is a myth they promote to try to keep those margins fat. And force americans to beef up the bottomline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies