Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would 'Single Payer' healthcare be sustainable in the U.S. on a National level?
Yes 121 71.18%
No 49 28.82%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:45 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,907,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Then so is the average cost of health insurance/care. Don't get sick = low cost
Of course the total cost of the health care system is relevant. America is at 18% of GDP. It has nothing to do with any "average". Thats the total cost. The average per person is just used to make the numbers easier to digest. So instead of saying that the Medicare tax generates $230 billion per year, it averages out to $710 for every man, woman and child in America.

Regarding dont get sick=low cost. Preventative care is NOT profitable in a for-profit based system of health care. So of course thats an issue in America. But its far from the only reason why our system is so inefficient. Countries like Japan are very healthy. Their health care system cost is right smack in the middle of developed countries. Healthy or not healthy population, ALL developed countries spend around 9%-11.5% of GDP in healthcare costs except America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:48 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,120,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
Even for state like California, it's a long shot. Brown has already said there is no money for it.
Brown and CA legislators get and got large campaign donations from the opponents of single payer -- big insurers and big pharma.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:00 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,527,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
In a single payer system you only have ONE choice. That which the gov't provides.
Not true where I'm from. If I'm not happy with the care I'm receiving, then I can walk out the door and go to another doctor or, hospital. There is also health insurance here, which seems to be cheaper than the US. There is also the option of just paying for something.

Overall, I would say the average citizen here, has more choice than the average US citizen.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:31 AM

18,495 posts, read 15,393,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Not true where I'm from. If I'm not happy with the care I'm receiving, then I can walk out the door and go to another doctor or, hospital. There is also health insurance here, which seems to be cheaper than the US. There is also the option of just paying for something.

Overall, I would say the average citizen here, has more choice than the average US citizen.
The " no choice " argument is one you often hear from opponents of universal care. It's a total myth of course. In fact we both have more choice than the average American. We aren't bound by which hospitals, clinics etc private insurers cover. I can go to ANY doctor or clinic I want. Doctors etc are NOT government employees. Labs are privately run etc.

Here though we don't have a two tiered system. One can't go out and pay separately for something that is covered under the Canada Health Act.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:36 AM

88,620 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Of course the total cost of the health care system is relevant. America is at 18% of GDP. It has nothing to do with any "average".
Adjusted disposable income was compared. The US comes out on top in disposable income of all the OECD countries even when the cost of health care is included.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:38 AM

88,620 posts, read 44,365,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Brown and CA legislators get and got large campaign donations from the opponents of single payer -- big insurers and big pharma.
Why would Dem politicians choose personal gain over what's best for their constituents?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Adjusted disposable income was compared. The US comes out on top in disposable income of all the OECD countries even when the cost of health care is included.
Yes, Bill Gates is doing fine in America. Very high disposable income. No surprise there.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Why would Dem politicians choose personal gain over what's best for their constituents?
Because we live in a rigged economy held up by a corrupt system of campaign finance. Wall Street and big pharma democrats and republicans have to get millions in legalized bribe money in order to be "viable". Try run for office as a regular Joe Schmoe and see how far you get even if 99% of the people in your district support your social darwinian platform. You wont stand a chance against a puppet of big money.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:58 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,527,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
The " no choice " argument is one you often hear from opponents of universal care. It's a total myth of course. In fact we both have more choice than the average American. We aren't bound by which hospitals, clinics etc private insurers cover. I can go to ANY doctor or clinic I want. Doctors etc are NOT government employees. Labs are privately run etc.

Here though we don't have a two tiered system. One can't go out and pay separately for something that is covered under the Canada Health Act.
I should have specified paying separately, meant to private hospitals. I'm not sure if a public hospital would even take money if offered -they would probably ask you too make it a donation to a particular unit etc.

There does seem to be a bit of misinformation out there regarding health systems outside of the US -someone has been telling porkies.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:01 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,758,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
That's the part of the equation never discussed when comparing to Canada as an example. How much does it cost the average family in taxes AND to insure themselves for a year in the U.S. compared to the tax paid by your average working stiff in Canada?

Which country's citizens are getting better value for tax dollars collected?
Yeah, say $390 a month in premiums for a single individual on a bronze plan in semi-rural AZ is in reality $4,700 a year. As per the below post, Canadians pay less than that in payroll taxes in order to cover themselves on healthcare. In reality, that is $272 per month, about $120 less than a comparable plan to what I have my employer for free. Now yes, short-term is $27 a month, but we are talking a cut-rate, high out of pocket.

Quote:
Its a no brainer really. Canadians pay $3266 per person per year in payroll taxes for their single payer system.

Health care expenditures by country https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

71% of total expenditures in Canada are publicly funded.
Health expenditure, public (% of total health expenditure) | Data

So a total of $3266 per person per year for their publicly funded single payer system.

Our 2.9% Medicare tax (1.45% for employer and 1.45% for employee) generates $230 billion per year or $710 per person per year.

So a 8% payroll tax on the employer and 4% payroll tax on the employee for a total of 12% payroll tax would generate $3200 per person per year. The same amount as Canadians pay for their single payer system for EVERY Canadian. This gives us some idea of how much we are getting ripped off.
Exactly, sadly I don't think I can rep you but this right. That $3200 per person as I mentioned is far cheaper than a rate I found in my area for a bronze level insurance.

Quote:
Both of those sources ignore the fact that the health insurance/care costs currently borne by employers and individuals would be shifted onto the Fed Gov under a single payer plan. Cite a source that addresses that issue, and see what they say about costs.

The Urban Institute takes into account the fact that employers and individuals would no longer be funding the costs of health insurance premiums or health care, as it would all fall on the Fed Gov to do so.
What is wrong with shifting the healthcare costs to the federal government? Or is it a thing of "government, bad"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal25 View Post
The current system isn't sustainable. Single payer theoretically would be better. Once our corrupt politicians get involved though...it becomes doubtful.
Even Nancy Pelosi is corrupt and not even considering Medicare-for-all like she said Obamacare was "the first step to" in 2010.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Financially sustainable, where major insurers do not leave, as they have been for a long time. Where they do not lose their shirt on ACA until they wise up and flee.
Like the plans BEFORE ACA? How many plans were dropped year to year or had dramatic increases year to year?

Quote:
Because we live in a rigged economy held up by a corrupt system of campaign finance. Wall Street and big pharma democrats and republicans have to get millions in legalized bribe money in order to be "viable". Try run for office as a regular Joe Schmoe and see how far you get even if 99% of the people in your district support your social darwinian platform. You wont stand a chance against a puppet of big money.
Yeah there's a local far-right Tea Partier who has run for US House nominations several years and now Senate nomination as well this past year (while also running for an Arizona US House nomination as well.) He don't have backing and gets a low amount of votes, nowhere near the votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies