Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would 'Single Payer' healthcare be sustainable in the U.S. on a National level?
Yes 121 71.18%
No 49 28.82%
Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
When states and local governments no longer provide those services, they can no longer tax for them. They're eliminated from the budget, reducing state and local expenditures and therefore their ability to tax above and beyond their budgetary needs. As all the costs shift to the Fed Gov, the tax revenue required to fund those costs would, as well.
If you pay $4000 to the State today, and tomorrow you pay nothing to the State and $4000 to the Fed, your tax spending is same. This is why I do not consider it a new tax. If you want to call it "new" federal tax, then you are only playing word games to make it sound like we have to come up with an additional $4000. We don't have to, because we are already paying it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2017, 08:54 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Perhaps if we did not spend half a trillion dollars on a defense budget that mostly defends our "Allies" (while our own Southern border has long gone unguarded) we could spend more on things here at home like infrastructure, healthcare and work study and retraining programs for the poor and working class.

Btw, our current 19th century every man for himself health care system is what is unsustainable.
k:

Why do we need more aircraft carriers than the entire rest of the world combined all at a cost of $3 billion each that can be sunk by a single missile? Put a dozen F-35s in Guam and a few in-air refueling planes and we can cover the whole Pacific from there along with a few attack submarines. No aircraft carriers needed. Billions of $$$ saved that can be put to better use.

Those missiles that Trump fired at that Syrian airfield (and ended up doing minimal damage at best) could have fixed Flint, Michigan's water supply system two times over.

Are we planning on fighting the whole world or something? What the heck did we need that massive defense spending hike for? Why not audit the DOD and make sure the money they already get is being put to good use instead of being wasted on golden toilet seats, $500 dollar hammers, handouts to defense contractors, and projects like the Littoral Combat Ship that are colossal waste of money and can't do anything. Most useless ship in existence and it costs billions of $$$ just for a single one.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:55 AM

882 posts, read 688,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
America having to pay 4 TIMES more than the UK for a single payer system is just laughable nonsense and it has been debunked as such.

Its in the region of $850 billion in extra taxes for a total health single payer care cost of about $2.3 trillion per year (roughly 20% would be private like in other single payer systems, like marketing costs for big pharma, cosmetic surgery, reasonable co-pays etc).
So for anyone other than this poster, feel free to actually go to the tax rates in the UK and actually look it up. Then check the VAT.

As I said early on to you, detective, this us exactly the type of gibberish you get when you bring up this topic. Fortunately for me I have already done the math and know for a fact that my family (and millions like mine) would pay between $8k to $10k more a year in healthcare costs if we switched over to single payer health care. I don't really need to debate it.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,249,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
Yes, corporations and the wealthy (ie: $400,000+ annual income) would have to pay significantly higher taxes. Oh, how terrible ... the billionaire CEO will have to forgo his 5th vacation home ... how sad!
Actually our existing healthcare system is a burden for many companies because we expect them to pay for all or some of their healthcare of their full time employees. Obviously that is a strong incentive not to hire workers, hire only part time workers or more their operations out of the United States all together.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:56 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,483,709 times
Quote:
Debunked as hogwash here:

The Urban Institute's Attack On Single Payer: Ridiculous Assumptions Yield Ridiculous Estimates | HuffPost

A realistic scenario where a single payer Medicare-for-all system in America costs about 60% more than in other developed countries (instead of 300% more!) would mean a 5% federal sales tax + a 5% employer payroll tax and 1% employee payroll tax to generate about $850 billion in needed revenue.
medicare (which is a 75/25 insurance) is not singlepayer either...

cost for a mediare style system would be about 3.5 trillion each year

cost for a Medicaid style system would be closer to 6 trillion each year

in 2016 medicare was 696 billion.... Medicaid: 2016.....372 billion

that's over a trillion dollars just to cover less than 75 million people.......

drag that cost to cover 320 million people and you will see the cost nearing 5 trillion for crappy government care

Old 05-05-2017, 08:59 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
By simplifying the system for single payer healthcare would eliminate half of administration costs, redistribution of trillions would be difficult but not impossible.

provides goods and services for the medical economy,” he said, since their profits — and possibly their incomes — could be cut.

Those providing goods and services in our system would see a cut in their incomes and profit since we are a consumer of medicine and it's competitive, yet set at a standard to climb not fall in price. That would change as price caps came into play by the government.

Speaking of government, gridlock would become more of a problem if the two sides didn't agree on services and caps. I could see that coming.

There would be problems but, I don't think we are going to find a system free from problems. The question is do we want these problems to be ours as citizens like they are now, or the government we elects problems.

Right now these problems are personal struggles, not being able to afford any healthcare. Mandated insurance didn't provide actual care, as most doctors refused it and premiums had deductibles to high for the main stream American. That anger helped fuel Trumps campaign. I can't imagine the problems that will arise trying to switch over. A lot. I wonder if people will tolerate it for the long fight. We don't have much patience as a nation.

Some suggest that over time we lower the medicare age. Start with lowering it to age 55 for 5 years, then down to 50, 45, 40, etc. That will give the system time to deal with it. Sounds like a good idea, and less of a shock.

As far as our size, it should just come down to numbers. If you can serve 50 people with a good system, you should be able to serve an infinite increase as long as the model is sound. If you can get the right amount of tax per person then it should work out mathematically.

The problem is the ^ bold. lol

I sure would like to see us try though. It would be cheaper, and I like cheaper. It would be all for one, one for all. I can dig that. There will be problems but there are now. I'm just tired of our reputation for leaving hard working people without basic needs. We take care of the poor and the rich but most of us in the middle would like to see a fair system I think.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:00 AM

89,026 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Debt is measured as % of GDP. Anything else is a meaningless metric.
$430+ billion per year to service the National debt isn't meaningless. It's $430+ billion per year that DOESN'T go to pay for single payer health care.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM

3,458 posts, read 1,455,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
medicare (which is a 75/25 insurance) is not singlepayer either...

cost for a mediare style system would be about 3.5 trillion each year

cost for a Medicaid style system would be closer to 6 trillion each year

in 2016 medicare was 696 billion.... Medicaid: 2016.....372 billion

that's over a trillion dollars just to cover less than 75 million people.......

drag that cost to cover 320 million people and you will see the cost nearing 5 trillion for crappy government care
I doubt regulated government care would be any worse, might be better. Right now our third largest killer in this country after cancer and heart disease is "medical mistakes." How could it get worse?

Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,961,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking View Post
So for anyone other than this poster, feel free to actually go to the tax rates in the UK and actually look it up. Then check the VAT.

As I said early on to you, detective, this us exactly the type of gibberish you get when you bring up this topic. Fortunately for me I have already done the math and know for a fact that my family (and millions like mine) would pay between $8k to $10k more a year in healthcare costs if we switched over to single payer health care. I don't really need to debate it.
Health care costs per person by country:

The total cost of the UK health care system is $4000 per year (with about $3200 of that being tax funded):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ure_per_capita

America spends $4700 per year in taxes for our for-profit system.

Old 05-05-2017, 09:02 AM

524 posts, read 252,052 times
Did you see the healthcare system in the film 'Idiocracy' ? Check it out if haven't.

That would be the end result of single payer and that is where the country would be if liberals had all of their dystopic pipe dreams given to them. Of course they would still blame liberty loving conservatives for all all their failures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies