Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 10:29 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,987,298 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
So if Planned Parenthood clinics aren't funded (meaning their patients on Medicaid can't use them) those patients will go someplace else and use their Medicaid there.....which means -- defunding isn't really a reduction or savings -- it's just not letting Planned Parenthood be one of the clinics patients can go to.
Partially true, but... they have to be able to find a clinic that does the services they need and in many places there are no such clinics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:38 AM

9,884 posts, read 11,014,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Planned Parenthood already IS a non-profit under 501(c).
Well, GOOD!!! That means all YOUR donations are deductible on your Federal (and possibly state) tax returns. Obviously, an excellent incentive to donate as much as you can afford to PP!
Just out of curiosity (I know it is none of my business), but did you make a sizable donation last year?
If not, why, if it is so important to you that they be fully funded?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:06 AM

1,400 posts, read 868,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
Abortion accounts for only 3% of the services provided by Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood provides medical services to both men and women and mostly poor people who are below 150% of the federal poverty level.

As for the *plenty* of non-PP options, there are not many at all.

https://www.guttmacher.org/report/pu...ic-survey-2015

What is crazy is that if you try to find a list of all these clinics that can replace Planned Parenthood, you can a weird list of places that do not provide most of the crucial services. In Iowa, for example, they list a school nurse's office, a dentist's office and an office in a homeless shelter. None of these actually provide the comprehensive family planning services needed. They also suggest a Christian Counseling Center which provides very limited care (free pregnancy testing and screening for a couple of stds is all they offer).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26836435
If Planned Parenthood really cares about people and needs federal funding to keep its doors open, then it may want to stop providing abortion services. That seems like its best shot and least damaging option to get federal funding, since abortion only accounts for 3% of its services anyway. Knowing that abortion is such a controversial subject, any competent leader would not put the organization at risk for a mere 3%.

Old 05-06-2017, 11:11 AM

18,437 posts, read 19,088,484 times
abortion is legal. don't want one, don't have one. lots of things my taxes pay for I don't like.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:05 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,387,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
If Planned Parenthood really cares about people and needs federal funding to keep its doors open, then it may want to stop providing abortion services. That seems like its best shot and least damaging option to get federal funding, since abortion only accounts for 3% of its services anyway. Knowing that abortion is such a controversial subject, any competent leader would not put the organization at risk for a mere 3%.
They need legally stop providing abortions because you don't agree with something that is perfectly legal.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:09 PM

1,190 posts, read 1,031,020 times
Before there was planned parenthood, there were county clinics that gave free contraception, cancer screenings, and abortions

And they still exist

Along with even more places to get free contraceptions, high schools, colleges, etc...

So we won't notice Planned Parenthood is gone, Trust me.

People still have plenty of options but by Counties who don't profit off of killings and sell baby parts. And they don't encourage pre-marital sex nor promiscuous behavior to make more $$ either. More non- biased healthcare basically

Nothing lost if Planned Parenthood is de-funded

Old 05-06-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
abortion is legal. don't want one, don't have one. lots of things my taxes pay for I don't like.
So when murder is legal, as long as you're not the one being murdered, your taxes can fund murder??

No loss to me if you are murdered but I suspect you think differently than you are posting

As long as others are tortured until death, and it's not myself being tortured, then I have no problems funding it??

Such a good guy we have here!

Old 05-06-2017, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1grin_g0 View Post
Selling baby parts is very lucrative. That 3% of abortions is likely a lie anyhow.
Remember they are slaughtering human beings and selling their body parts.
It doesn't seem their character lends itself to integrity or honesty, eh?

Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 PM

57,405 posts, read 26,387,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyDrew1 View Post
Before there was planned parenthood, there were county clinics that gave free contraception, cancer screenings, and abortions

And they still exist

Along with even more places to get free contraceptions, high schools, colleges, etc...

So we won't notice Planned Parenthood is gone, Trust me.

People still have plenty of options but by Counties who don't profit off of killings and sell baby parts. And they don't encourage pre-marital sex nor promiscuous behavior to make more $$ either. More non- biased healthcare basically

Nothing lost if Planned Parenthood is de-funded
Those that already work in the Texas health care system and other states have already indicated they would be unable to accommodate the work load if PP closed so know I don't trust you. Making it more difficult for low income people to acquire minimal health services purely because some right wing zealots don't like an organization is beyond comprehension.

The issue with PP selling fetuses for profit was all contrived and those people that created this fake controversy are still on trial.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:37 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,715,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Because they do many, many, many more things than abortions, which is only a fragment of the services they provide. Defunding means loss of access to healthcare for millions of low income women. Nothing to do with abortion whatsoever, which, as you correctly point out, gets zero federal funds.

The glee with which the right goes after Planned Parenthood again and again and again is purely typical right wing ideology. It's an emotion based knee-jerk reaction. Nothing more.
And, there is also the republican thing about going after women. I noticed that, although there are some (seven?) republican women in the senate, not one of them is on the republican senate committee about the new healthcare law. It is as if there is no healthcare issue that concerns or affects women, so women don't need to have any input into the law, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies