Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2017, 10:09 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by veuvegirl View Post
This has nothing to do with the ACA. (TMI ALERT) This has to do with my mammogram not being covered because I have dense tissue I cannot get a mammogram screening. I have to go for a diagnostic screening every year and pay out of pocket.

Because it isn't covered, I cannot afford it with my husband out of work. I paid it for the last two years in a row.

This is just a very small example of what will happen nationwide. People will stop getting preventive screenings for many reasons.
  • They can't get insured and can't pay out of pocket
  • They are afraid of getting a screening creating a pre-exisiting condition and be dropped from their insurance

Getting these screenings is being proactive with ones health. If I do have breast cancer and am diagnosed next year or six months from now it will cost hundreds of thousands of dollars more than if they caught it early.

You should get Flex Med if offered at work. You would pay for it PRE tax only proportionately per paycheck, while able to use full annual funding day 1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2017, 10:12 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Doubt that. The 20 will not require huge modifications to obtain.
Yep, La La Land. You obviously weren't paying attention to the hoops the GOP had to jump through to get the Freedom Caucus on board at all. They didn't want any kind of healthcare bill, they just wanted the whole thing to be repealed and be done with it.

The GOP worked very hard to get them on board, and the worst things in this POS bill are there solely to appease them.

Those are the very things that the Senate will remove.

Take them out and say good bye to the Freedum Caucus votes.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
The good thing is this bill is to repeal ACA, which was the bad thing. Democrats like to keep Obamacare despite its failure.
That's not what I heard -- I heard that Democrats know that the ACA needed to be fixed.

This new plan is mainly the ACA with some changes that end in not much better...the problems are still there.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 AM

37,961 posts, read 22,143,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I am a lib but I am in no way happy with the ACA. The right somehow does not realize that we pay the same high costs for our medical coverage as they do. So I am open to the idea of a new plan but I'm not so sure I or anyone else really understands this new proposal.

I am 58, my wife has chronic back and other pre-existing conditions. We are hardly alone, many of you are in the same position. So please help me understand how I should be excited at the possibility of much higher costs for health care for us moving forward?

I'm dead serious here, if I'm wrong and it's a good plan for seniors I'm thrilled.
It's one step closer to getting rid of the ACA. I know that does not help us now, but we need to repeal the ACA and get to a better market based system that does work for us.

A few things in the bill that may affect you:
  • (Sec. 216) This section increases the limits on HSA contributions to match the sum of the annual deductible and out-of-pocket expenses permitted under a high deductible health plan.
  • (Sec. 217) This section permits both spouses of a married couple who are eligible for HSA catch-up contributions to make the contributions to the same HSA account.
  • (Sec. 207) This section delays the implementation of the excise tax on high cost employer-sponsored health coverage (commonly referred to as the Cadillac tax) until 2025. (Under current law, the tax goes into effect in 2020.)
  • (Sec. 208) This section permits tax-favored health savings accounts (HSAs), Archer Medical Savings Accounts (MSAs), health flexible spending arrangements (FSAs), and health reimbursement arrangements to be used to purchase over-the-counter medicine that is not prescribed by a physician.
  • (Sec. 212) The provision permits employers who provide Medicare-eligible retirees with qualified prescription drug coverage and receive federal subsidies for prescription drug plans to claim a deduction for the expenses without reducing the deduction by the amount of the subsidy.
  • (Sec. 213) This section repeals the increase in the income threshold used to determine whether an individual may claim an itemized deduction for unreimbursed medical expenses. The bill allows all taxpayers to claim an itemized deduction for unreimbursed expenses medical expenses that exceed 7.5% (10% under current law) of adjusted gross income.
  • (Sec. 214) This section repeals the additional Medicare tax that is imposed on certain employees and self-employed individuals with wages or self-employment income above specified thresholds.

What hits me is why did the ACA have all of these taxes and restrictions in the first place? These alone should reduce a lot of costs to us, our employers, and give us a little more flexibility.

Don't get too wrapped around the axle here, because the Senate is doing what the Senate does, writing their own version of a bill, and then both Houses will work out a bill agreeable to both. So some of the things you either like, or don't like might go away, or new ones may be added.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:18 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,004,475 times
We don't know for sure -- but as this bill stands it is not an improvement for most people.

dical.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:19 AM

34,037 posts, read 17,050,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yep, La La Land. You obviously weren't paying attention to the hoops the GOP had to jump through to get the Freedom Caucus on board at all. They didn't want any kind of healthcare bill, they just wanted the whole thing to be repealed and be done with it.

Personally I am ok with just waiting a year or so until ACA folds and starting from scratch.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:31 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack2000 View Post
Yes, they want massive cuts in Medicaid. People like your friend's husband could die because of this bill.

It even goes farther then that. A lot of our patients wound up in nursing homes on Medicaid. What's going to happen to future patients if Ryan has his way and medicaid disappears? Will the states be responsible? What about poor states? We pay federal taxes and although I really don't agree with a lot of entitlements, I do agree that some are necessary. I DO NOT want to see the 1% get a big tax break while the rest of us foot the bill. That seems to be the republican mantra. I also don't want to see entitlements given away at our expense to people who don't want to work and are serial welfare recipients. There has to be a compromise on both sides. I'm disgusted at how radical both sides are.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:34 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,071,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Personally I am ok with just waiting a year or so until ACA folds and starting from scratch.
The GOP owns the ACA now. They're in charge and they promised to "fix" healthcare. It was one of their main campaign promises.

If the ACA folds under their watch, when they neglected to do anything by way of a fix or replacement, the collapse of the market will rest solely on their shoulders.

Be careful what you wish for.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM

610 posts, read 532,982 times
One big improvement is that we, the people, have an opportunity to see and debate an issue which has such major impact on our lives. As opposed to a rammed-through piece of legislation that upended an important pillar of our society, with no debate or input from the public, and even the legislators were largely ignorant of the impact.

So now you have the ability to contact your representatives to make your opinion known.

Nice change to live in a democracy, isn't it?

Old 05-06-2017, 10:36 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,755,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metsfan53 View Post
Don't bother trying to explain to theses people. Somehow they believe making insurance crappier and more expensive it will make things better. All this is is a tax cut for the wealthy but these lemmings think it helps them somehow
It's getting old about the tax cut for the wealthy and the top 1%. It has not worked out for Hilary's camp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies