Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2017, 09:41 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,548,906 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post

I was 40 lbs overweight. Now just 25 over. I decided to lose weight before I got shamed. You know before I can't fit in a barber's chair.
Even with 40 lbs over? That really isn't that much unless you are 4' 2". I think there is a fine line between being shamed and someone having a legitimate reason to not provide you with service because of your health.

I have to admit I have never been over weight so I don't fully understand it but I would never shame these people.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:42 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,548,906 times
Quote:
Never seen a picture of a fat prisoner in a concentration camp.
What does that have to with this discussion? Are you just trying to be provocative?

Old 05-06-2017, 09:46 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,793,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post

I have to admit I have never been over weight so I don't fully understand it but I would never shame these people.
Yes,at 6'2" 240 I was at little near term risk of body shaming. I am on high blood pressure medication. That is what is spurring me to lose weight.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmyy View Post
What does that have to with this discussion? Are you just trying to be provocative?
The point is even these people with thyroid issues can lose weight if they care enough. I bet the vast majority of the morbidly obese major problem is calorie intake and outtake.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:49 PM

2,316 posts, read 2,545,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
What kind of nail salon is this person running? We have all been to a nail salon, most pedicure chairs are strong enough for this lady. I doubt she is big enough to break a chair.

I am glad that she complained. I think suing is completely justified. Looks like the salon owner is too cheap. Even if she couldn't fit the chair, I would apologize and offer her some free services. (maybe give her one free manicure or facial treatment.)
OR she could have offered to give her a pedicure the way they did before they all started using the big massage chairs: in a regular chair, with the nail technician on a stool in front of her using a plastic basin...they still do those in the salons I use if the customer requests it for whatever reason.

I just read the article and saw the photo of the lady...she is far from too large to fit in one of those big massage chairs...obviously because she was able to get a pedicure somewhere else. No excuse for treating her like that.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnoliaThunder View Post
OR she could have offered to give her a pedicure the way they did before they all started using the big massage chairs: in a regular chair, with the nail technician on a stool in front of her using a plastic basin...they still do those in the salons I use if the customer requests it for whatever reason.

I just read the article and saw the photo of the lady...she is far from too large to fit in one of those big massage chairs...obviously because she was able to get a pedicure somewhere else. No excuse for treating her like that.
Them regular chairs are usually smaller than the big ones.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:56 PM

I thank she should worry more about why her male fiancée gets pedicures.

Old 05-06-2017, 09:58 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,081,852 times
That woman is morbidly obese. I think it's quite understandable that the staff would worry about her breaking the chairs, if they're not used to needing to accommodate such heavy customers.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:02 PM

2,316 posts, read 2,545,370 times
I'd like to add a side note regarding all those on this thread who bashed this woman and overweight people in general (usually they were males):

I've noticed in my life that the people who made fun of, for instance, fat people when they were young turn out to be daddies of fat little girls and fat teenage girls. It's been a really interesting thing to notice because I've seen it many times. They then have to try to soothe the hurt feelings of their own daughters, probably much like the parents had to do for the girls these guys once made fun of.
I love karma.

Old 05-06-2017, 10:03 PM

12,275 posts, read 7,081,852 times
Quote:
If she can't fit into the chair what do you expect the salon to do?
Honestly, this is why I'd never be able to work in customer service. I'd probably try to be helpful by offering another solution, like pillows on the floor for her to sit on, Japanese style.

But of course it'd probably upset her even more and I'd get my socks sued off...so never mind.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies