Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 01:49 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Yeah, corporations are definitely not people...and not sure what the voting thing is about. Nope, not forced to vote, so I don't.
Glad you're in agreement that corporations are not people.

Re: the voting thing: I thought you expressed something to that effect somewhere?

Just seems impotent & impractical is all.

Quote:
...But, to speak practically and as a citizen, unlike those who call themselves no-government men, I ask for, not at once no government, but at once a better government. Let every man make known what kind of government would command his respect, and that will be one step toward obtaining it. ...
Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

Voting can also be a way of making it known ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:55 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
healthcare services are a right?

Maybe we need to define what rights are..

Becaue the right to vote, bear arms, free speech seem to be more about what the freedom of the individual and preserving liberty in the country and the person. Also restraining government the bill of rights.

So the thinking is now what? The right to services is some how "freedom" I dont know any rights that require me and or anyone else to pay for me to have a gun, or the paying of me to have free speech and or religion.

What is next the right to internet, tv, movies, car washes.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:14 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
wow
Yes. Wow. I think he was close to losing it and almost lost his way a couple of times, but he managed to convey extremely well his points. The anger was just and needed in this case to really show this flip flop of a senator how is actions involve REAL people.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Only speaking for myself and a couple other posters here (No_Recess and Frank DeForrest), but yep. We're against all taxes because the government has no more right to take people's money by force than any of us do individually. The only valid way to argue against that is to explain logically how the government can possibly have rights that none of the citizens have individually.

(The thing is...it's a logical impossibility, so good luck)
What a bizarre stance. You do realize that the money you don't want to pay in taxes but keep for yourself is money issued by and guaranteed by, your government?

You seem to want to pick and choose what only benefits you. It's very selfish.

People get the government they deserve. It's the people that have the power, it's the people that vote and it's the people that should be holding your governments accountable.

I understand that isn't happening as it should partly because people just don't participate enough. So stop complaining and go start a no tax party. If it has any worth, you should be able to get people on board.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:19 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
What a bizarre stance. You do realize that the money you don't want to pay in taxes but keep for yourself is money issued by and guaranteed by, your government?
Money. Yet another govt monopoly.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Money. Yet another govt monopoly.
..well if you hate yours, please send it my way

Old 05-12-2017, 02:40 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,064,273 times
Agree 100%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Obesity is not a health issue that I should be expected to fund you for. It is somebody's fault - your's.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:46 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,712,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Agree 100%
There are so many health issues that could have been caused by things that were entirely your own fault.
  • Slipped on ice and broke my hip. Isn't that your fault for not wearing better shoes in ice?
  • Played tennis in my 20s and messed up my hip. Isn't that your fault for playing tennis and not watching TV instead?
  • Worked in a coal mine? Isn't that your fault for electing to work in the coal industry and not as a cashier at Walmart?
  • Sharpening the blade on your lawn mower when you accidentally cut your finger? Isn't that your fault for not just hiring Pedro to cut your lawn?

See where I'm going with this...

Yeah, it's hard to feel sympathy for someone who drinks 3 liters of coke and eats a dozen donuts a day, but there are plenty of other medical problems caused by people making poor decisions.

Old 05-12-2017, 02:48 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
Glad you're in agreement that corporations are not people.

Re: the voting thing: I thought you expressed something to that effect somewhere?

Just seems impotent & impractical is all.

Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau

Voting can also be a way of making it known ...
I guess I could write in "no one"...but even that would add to the voter turnout numbers, which is a negative.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post

You seem to want to pick and choose what only benefits you. It's very selfish.

People get the government they deserve. It's the people that have the power, it's the people that vote and it's the people that should be holding your governments accountable.

I understand that isn't happening as it should partly because people just don't participate enough. So stop complaining and go start a no tax party. If it has any worth, you should be able to get people on board.
I'm hoping something like Bitcoin replaces fiat currency completely at some point so I don't need to use their money.

Not sure what you mean on the picking and choosing thing, or how it's selfish. I want everyone to have the choice to pay for what they want and refuse what they don't want...same way we do with most things in our lives.

You're right on the third paragraph. The government wouldn't have any power if nobody supported it.

Forming a party...well there are actually people like Judd Weiss (VP candidate running with McAfee) who tried using the Libertarian Party as a platform to bring attention to the ideas, but he said it was just counterproductive. He's also an "anarchist" in the same vein as I am.

Actually, he said politics is much nastier than he expected, even in the LP, and the nastiest people survive there...so he sees the LP as a sort of quarantine for the ones that just want to fight and bicker, and the good ones can stay out if it and just spread ideas in other ways.

So that's a long-winded no to politics from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies