Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2017, 03:08 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,967,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
There are so many health issues that could have been caused by things that were entirely your own fault.
  • Slipped on ice and broke my hip. Isn't that your fault for not wearing better shoes in ice?
  • Played tennis in my 20s and messed up my hip. Isn't that your fault for playing tennis and not watching TV instead?
  • Worked in a coal mine? Isn't that your fault for electing to work in the coal industry and not as a cashier at Walmart?
  • Sharpening the blade on your lawn mower when you accidentally cut your finger? Isn't that your fault for not just hiring Pedro to cut your lawn?

See where I'm going with this...

Yeah, it's hard to feel sympathy for someone who drinks 3 liters of coke and eats a dozen donuts a day, but there are plenty of other medical problems caused by people making poor decisions.
Exactly. And UHC will have to start making tough choices, when the money gets thin, and folks probably won't like the choices that are made.

BTW - most of your examples are accidents, which happen to everybody at some point. You don't "accidentally" eat yourself into obesity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 03:11 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
I consider it a right and would have no problem with a universal healthcare system if everyone pays for it and everyone benefits from it.

Meaning... you can have a national sales tax like other modern countries to fund it, so whether you are poor, middle, or upper class, you all contribute and you all get the benefits!

What Obamacare is, is just a big F*** you to most Americans besides those who don't work! The working class pays for the non-working class coverage and they don't get any of the benefits.
When I was a freelancer, Obamacare was a lifesaver. It was fairly priced and was a very good experience. Just throwing it out there that those of us who work for a living did get good benefits. I understand there is good and bad with Obamacare but I don't like the insinuation that it only worked for those who didn't have a job.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:29 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I'm hoping something like Bitcoin replaces fiat currency completely at some point so I don't need to use their money.

Not sure what you mean on the picking and choosing thing, or how it's selfish. I want everyone to have the choice to pay for what they want and refuse what they don't want...same way we do with most things in our lives.

You're right on the third paragraph. The government wouldn't have any power if nobody supported it.

Forming a party...well there are actually people like Judd Weiss (VP candidate running with McAfee) who tried using the Libertarian Party as a platform to bring attention to the ideas, but he said it was just counterproductive. He's also an "anarchist" in the same vein as I am.

Actually, he said politics is much nastier than he expected, even in the LP, and the nastiest people survive there...so he sees the LP as a sort of quarantine for the ones that just want to fight and bicker, and the good ones can stay out if it and just spread ideas in other ways.

So that's a long-winded no to politics from me.
By picking and choosing I meant services and infrastructure that are already funded by taxes and benefit you.
I'm not even sure if you realize it actually. I mean you are here on the internet. It wouldn't exist in a anarchy.

I assume you use sidewalks, roads, street light etc?

Old 05-12-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
Exactly. And UHC will have to start making tough choices, when the money gets thin, and folks probably won't like the choices that are made.

BTW - most of your examples are accidents, which happen to everybody at some point. You don't "accidentally" eat yourself into obesity.
Countries that have UHC have obese people as well. Obesity is treated as a medical issue, just like cancer cause by smoking, diseases caused by drinking etc.

UHC in Canada at least, hasn't thrown these people to the curb.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:32 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,352,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
By picking and choosing I meant services and infrastructure that are already funded by taxes and benefit you.
I'm not even sure if you realize it actually. I mean you are here on the internet. It wouldn't exist in a anarchy.

I assume you use sidewalks, roads, street light etc?
I don't want to go too far off topic, but I'm not sure why those things wouldn't exist. "How would _____ exist if nobody has an exemption from right and wrong?" is what you're asking.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
I don't want to go too far off topic, but I'm not sure why those things wouldn't exist. "How would _____ exist if nobody has an exemption from right and wrong?" is what you're asking.
The advancement of civilization is made possible by rules, laws as it were. Without them, anarchy, exists.

In an anarchy you can't create things like the internet, or a car etc because there would be no authority to get everyone to agree on a set of rules in order to create something complex.

Humans are just wired that way. Cooperation works. Rules work.

UHC is just one more way that society can cooperate for the benefit of all. I live it everyday here in Canada.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:43 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
No. Living a healthy life; diet, exercise, not taking the various drugs, (liquid, botanical, pharmaceuticals), in excess. Is everyone's responsibility and civic duty, so as not to impose themselves on their fellow citizens.
You do know that things like cancer can happen to the most healthy of people, right? Or a car accident because someone else wasn't paying attention?

These sorts of circumstances are not so much a question of "if" but of "when." Big picture, a lot of these things are unavoidable and one way or another, you'll be paying for it. When they can't get the money to pay of their loans, that eventually comes around to you when your health insurance spikes or when your genetic predisposition for X gets your healthcare benefits slashed.

As is, Americans pay more per person for healthcare than any other post-industrial western democracy, yet we get the least for it. If you're a fiscal conservative, which presumably you are, this should **** you off beyond measure. Something needs to change.

Old 05-12-2017, 03:46 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Yes! I'll say it again, why should wealthy or middle class families have access to quality healthcare, while poor, struggling families watch their children die because they can't afford certain medications/procedures not covered on their insurance?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:02 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,378,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hapa1 View Post
Yes! I'll say it again, why should wealthy or middle class families have access to quality healthcare, while poor, struggling families watch their children die because they can't afford certain medications/procedures not covered on their insurance?
Poor and struggling families already have access to various programs to assist them with healthcare, including multiple government programs as well as non-profit and charitable organizations.

Many people are impoverished because of their own poor choices or refusing to follow societal mores, or because of institutionalized poverty as a result of anti-capitalistic Democrat policies such as in the inner city.

The question should be, why should the rest of us, who make good choices have to carry those who don't?

Old 05-12-2017, 04:18 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,641,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
Poor and struggling families already have access to various programs to assist them with healthcare, including multiple government programs as well as non-profit and charitable organizations.

Many people are impoverished because of their own poor choices or refusing to follow societal mores, or because of institutionalized poverty as a result of anti-capitalistic Democrat policies such as in the inner city.

The question should be, why should the rest of us, who make good choices have to carry those who don't?
Not everyone who is poor made "poor choices", if you were down and out and ill, wouldn't you want access to quality healthcare, and not just sent to some cheap government clinic that doesn't offer much? The upper and middle class, as well as the rich corporations need to pay higher taxes so everyone can enjoy good healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies