Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2017, 07:44 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Thank you. Good work. FWIW I repped the post though that has no value compared to what you have done. And I praise you even though we disagree on most issues.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2017, 08:10 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Because the ACA envisioned low-income people receiving coverage through Medicaid, it does not provide financial assistance to people below poverty for other coverage options. As a result, in states that do not expand Medicaid, many adults fall into a “coverage gap” of having incomes above Medicaid eligibility limits but below the lower limit for Marketplace premium tax credits The Coverage Gap: Uninsured Poor Adults in States that Do Not Expand Medicaid | The Henry J. Kaiser Family Foundation
Not a smart move, to assume the states were going to all go along with this.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
You just want to argue don't you? Well my friend, I've got better things to do today so go find yourself someone else to squabble with
An expected response when you can't really provide anything solid in rebuttal. Something that is supposed to be affordable has turned not to be affordable, something that says something is mandatory but turns out it doesn't actually mean mandatory is something I'd consider a failure.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
I did ask my supervisor that question. That and a series of similar queries led to my termination as a volunteer on December 2, 1982. Luckily that was also the day I found out I passed the New York State Bar.
Now that is sad ..... asking questions leads to getting fired.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
Not a smart move, to assume the states were going to all go along with this.
It was not optional until SCOTUS decided they couldn't be force to expand medicaid, if the court had not decided that all 50 states would have expanded it.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:30 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
I believe the Constitution gave the government a right to tax.
But how? People (some of whom I respect, but still just people) got together and signed a piece of paper that simply claims "Congress shall have the right to lay and collect taxes". I could write down on a piece of paper that I have the right to collect taxes too, and when anyone questions it I say "well it says right here that I have that right" and point to the paper.

The real issue is that no individual has the right to take someone else's money by force, and that doesn't change by adding more people.

For example - I can't just take your car for myself if you never said I could. If I get one of my friends, we still can't just take your car. If I get 50 people, we still don't have the right to take your car. If I get 200 million people, over half the population of the US, we still don't have the right to take your car. We need to ask you and receive your permission before we just take it.

Old 05-28-2017, 08:34 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
thanks
A lot of people figure that their taxes are already going to the government who are supposed to care for the poor, so it's nice when people still do additional things to help. Good work, and thanks for doing that.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:22 PM

Quote:
It was not optional until SCOTUS decided they couldn't be force to expand medicaid, if the court had not decided that all 50 states would have expanded it.
Personally I agree with the SCOTUS decision .... was sad to see they upheld the rest of the law. I live in a state that did the expansion, and it has caused plenty of grief.

Old 05-28-2017, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Personally I agree with the SCOTUS decision .... was sad to see they upheld the rest of the law. I live in a state that did the expansion, and it has caused plenty of grief.
How did expanded medicaid cause grief?

Old 05-28-2017, 09:41 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Now that is sad ..... asking questions leads to getting fired.
The other questions I asked was why the tenants weren't being asked to escrow rent during a sponsored concerted withholding of rent, or basically a "rent strike." Such actions can only further demoralize a building and neighborhood. A slum only gets worse if rents aren't being paid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies