Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM

26,656 posts, read 28,654,132 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Especially since, going forward, we will see more and more jobs disappear to automation and our jobs are tied to health insurance...we need to figure out how to move forward in the face of automation and increasing unemployment.

Its not enough to say "Pay for it" anymore.
That's right. There's no reason why health insurance should be tied to a job. Universal health insurance would mean that people could move anywhere in the country and take their insurance plan with them. They could move somewhere to get a better job rather than staying where they are in a low paying job.

They could even get laid off and be looking for another job and not be without health insurance. Most first world countries are like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 08:36 PM

5,527 posts, read 3,247,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Actually societies grew because people learned to work together and care for each other.
No, societies grew because division of labor allowed for specialization. For 99% of history this division has been exploitative, not cooperative.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:37 PM

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
There's a right to LIFE, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Physical LIFE requires caring for one's health and there aren't very many (if any) people who are qualified to do it all for themselves. They might treat a cough or a cold but can they treat their own cancer? Can they diagnose and treat their own high cholesterol? Can they perform bypass surgery on themselves?
How many serious diseases can a person treat without some outside health care?

Without health care they would die and that isn't LIFE. Health care is a right.
Life also requires food. Should we then "socialize food"? Everyone pays a set amount and the macaroni truck comes around each day and passes you a Michelina's pasta? That's what I eat for dinner most evenings and if it's good enough for me, it should be good enough for all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So since rights apparently aren't a government thing...I say take all guns and throw 'em in the ocean. Free speech? F that noise. Shut down any and all traitors to the American cause. Religion? Nope. All must adhere to the FSM version of the universe. Any dissent shall be roundly shut down by 'Murican volunteers.
And you'd just looooovvvveeee for this to happen, I trust (assuming it doesn't negatively affect you personally).

Ultimately my right to "life" should not come at anyone else's expense. Because the moment it does, that is no longer allowing my patron his/her right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the way he/she sees fit UNLESS he/she actually wishes to support me. Coercion vs. free will.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:38 PM

19,013 posts, read 14,188,739 times
Is health care a basic human right?
More accurately, is giving medical aid an endowed right?
I think so, unless one has consented to be governed otherwise.

Receiving medical aid from another is based on the actions of someone else, and not an endowed right.

At this time, the government has criminalized the unlicensed performance of professional medical aid and has restricted or regulated other forms of medical aid, medicines, and medical appliances.
Therefore, there is no “RIGHT†to receive professional health care.

As to the issue of using the government to compel one to pay for the care of another, that is involuntary servitude unless one has consented. Then it is voluntary servitude, and constitutional.

Do you know how and when you consented to be a voluntary donor?

: : : : : : : : :

25,690 posts, read 18,773,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
Not a basic right, but something the richest country in the world ought to figure out how to provide for its citizens.
This I CAN agree with. And it can be done sans coercion. It's just that most people do not want that.

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
The easy answer is "yes." The question gets harder when you ask if it should be equal for all, the way say the right to free speech or religion are. Given the huge costs and advances, the question is "how much of a right" is health care? Health care has been used by the Democrats (of which I am one) as a wedge to seek greater income redistribution overall. It's a nose under the tent to equalize everything according to need, not effort.

Old 05-07-2017, 08:40 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
That's right. There's no reason why health insurance should be tied to a job. Universal health insurance would mean that people could move anywhere in the country and take their insurance plan with them. They could move somewhere to get a better job rather than staying where they are in a low paying job.

They could even get laid off and be looking for another job and not be without health insurance. Most first world countries are like that.
Yes. People in other countries where healthcare is provided for all have the freedom to move from one job to another without having to worry about their healthcare insurance. What a wonderful idea! Being able to get a job that pays better, provides you more experience, is better for your family without worrying about (a) waiting 3-6 months to get on the new insurance plan and (b) the quality of said health insurance.

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY_refugee87 View Post
Lack of empathy.

Because I was taught on at an early age if you want something you go and get it, nothing in life is handed to you, and life is too short to be envious. So if you want the fast cars, the pretty women, the nice house, you get your Azz out of bed and go make something of yourself or lay around be a bum sucking off the tax payers teat.

That and I am very observant. I learn from my and others mistakes.

Like my high-school and college friends who rushed into marriage who today are going through costly divorces 5-7 years...
Or the other dudes who went knocking women up to get another notch under their belt wind up in jail for back owed child support in the 10s of thousands. Or wound up with an incurable STD...

He who laughs last laughs hardest. And boy am I laughing at all of those suckers...
Get up and go is admirable, but I bet I could find some poor sod who had much, much less than you had as a child, and think you had some things handed to you. It's all relative.

5,874 posts, read 10,522,865 times
Im a perfectly healthy 35 year old woman who barely had to go to the doctor in my entire life except for my pregnancy.

Im so damn healthy that i never needed any surgery or intervention of any type. My sight is FANTASTIC i never needed glasses of any type, my dental health is perfect. I NEVER get sick. I might get a cold once a year or less, and that cold lasts 2/3 days and its over.

I payed health insurance all my life. Well, when i was a kid my parents paid for it, and then, at 19, i started paying for my own. I barely EVER used the hospital facilities until i was pregnant, when i was 34 years old.

So, for 34 years old, giving my EXCELLENT health and the fact that i paid for a service I DIDNT USE, i been subsidizing sick folks all over the country.

I ve never even think about this, until reading about USA healthcare system and hearing people complain (wow! ) about paying someone elses health bills.

So, if i lived in USA and according to T 310, chris c & co logic, i should be outraged for paying healthcare for the sick for over 30 years. If i lived in USA i should go to T 310 door and ask for my money back, since im sure he had at least a minor intervention that was paid with MY MONEY

Old 05-07-2017, 08:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post

And you'd just looooovvvveeee for this to happen, I trust (assuming it doesn't negatively affect you personally).

Ultimately my right to "life" should not come at anyone else's expense. Because the moment it does, that is no longer allowing my patron his/her right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness in the way he/she sees fit UNLESS he/she actually wishes to support me. Coercion vs. free will.
No, I'd actually HATE it.

But please keep assuming. Its quite amusing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies