Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2017, 10:58 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,636,949 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
As a healthcare worker, yes I do. And in the most developed nation on Earth, there's no excuse for it not to be guaranteed to everyone here.
No way. This is because there are too many people who pretty strongly feel they should not be required to pay for anybody's health care other than their own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2017, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
I'm curious -- what exactly do you mean by "economic freedom", and how do you suggest that most people achieve that?
The poster means the more free of taxation you are the more economic freedom you have.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:01 PM

25,732 posts, read 18,809,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sibelian View Post
You'll pay for highways, but not for doctors. Hmmm. That says a lot about you.
Via the government? Yes, that is exactly right. It's a matter of who is responsible for what.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:03 PM

554 posts, read 608,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Via the government? Yes, that is exactly right. It's a matter of who is responsible for what.
Ok, peace bro. There's nothing more for us to discuss.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T0103E View Post
Anyone saying yes doesn't understand what a right is supposed to be.
Well, as you should know the only basic human right is a God given one. It is the right to breathe air. God nor anybody else charges you for doing that. Nobody has to sacrifice anything.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
How do you know it would be enough if you put it into a savings account?
I don't. But neither do I know if an insurance company or the government is going to pay enough.

Quote:
With your own personal health savings account, what happens when your money runs out? You die.
But that is exactly what happens if the insurance companies say no more or medicare says it's done (or runs out of funding).

Quote:
With Medicare or any single payer, you could get a lot more out of it than you paid in.
Which, in my world, is nothing to brag about.

Quote:
Health care is a necessity of life, a right.
And that is your opinion, which you certainly have a right to hold. That's why we are here discussing this. We all have different perspectives and opinions. I suspect that there will be no agreement, though. Ultimately, it is an interesting intellectual debate, if nothing else.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:09 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
No it means understanding the greater good for all.
That's always the excuse to violate individual rights. "It's okay to violate these peoples' rights because it's for the greater good" - every tyrant ever

It's easy to say "What's the big deal if we steal from a few people and give it to a bunch of others who need it? It'll help more people" because they see the immediate impact of it. What they don't see is that the idea of property rights, a fundamental concept to a civil society, is being slowly eroded away.

If you get rid of property rights, you get rid of ALL rights. I don't think people understand that, or they wouldn't be so quick to trade it in for the instant gratification, feel-good solution. Unwise is the word that comes to mind. Very unwise, but people don't listen.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:10 PM

5,301 posts, read 2,355,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Lets get real though. We all pay for it if people dont get the health care they need. Thats a big reason why the insurance racket is so expensive in the first place. This whole "threaten at gunpoint spiel" is really about frustration about means testing the social safety net. You dont hear that spiel against public roads or even Medicare because people feel they themselves benefit from it, not "some other guy". Everyone pays into the system and everyone gets something out of it, like it should be. Thats also the same reason why people support their single payer systems in every country that has it. As long as legislation is passed to make sure everyone has skin in the game and the system is not means tested, but instead universal, people overwhelmingly support it, even folks who previously went on spiels about "threaten at gunpoint".
Yes, I'm against funding anything through taxation. If someone earns something honestly, it doesn't belong to the collective to do with as they please...and it is threatening at gunpoint, literally. If you don't pay, eventually they send armed men to your house to lock you up, and if you resist them they'll use their weapons.

The thing is, no average person would do that on their own and think it was civilized or moral behavior. They'd ask, persuade, guilt, shame, or whatever else they had to do, but never overpower and take by force. Good people are tricked into betraying their own values. They think it's somehow okay if the state does it on their behalf, and I simply can't go along with that.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zortation View Post
I have a hard time understanding how people see some kind of difference between private and public insurance,
The difference is that one is voluntary, the other mandated. I agree with neither.

Old 05-07-2017, 11:14 PM

32,068 posts, read 15,062,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
If it's a basic human right then how did we survive as a human for years before Obamacare.
Many didn't. You heard about it in the news every now and then but no one basically covered it. There is a health wagon for people who live in the Appalachia mountains. These are the poor who don't have jobs or healthcare. The healthcare wagon doesn't charge them anything because they care. I find it really sad that many americans are all about themselves and could care less about others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies