Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2017, 02:34 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesserSeneca View Post
OK, I get it. You're just dense and obtuse.

Say hello to your Doctor "cousin" in Canada for me.
You, new poster, are a frat boy who has to resort to insulting because he can't think of anything else to say. And you, new poster, make comments with great confidence about something you know nothing about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 02:37 PM

14,651 posts, read 14,572,886 times
Quote:
Of course not.

Slave labor is wrong, correct? Yes.

Are Doctors Slaves? No. That would be wrong, as we already established.

Then they work of their own free will? Yes.

If suddenly every doctor decided to leave the field and no one was left to supply services what would the government have to do to guarantee your right to healthcare?
The same could be said for law enforcement or fire services. The fact is, in a civilized society, there will always be people in these fields, and it is a basic expectation these services should exist, which is why our tax dollars go to fund them and society breaks down in areas they don't exist.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:40 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,137,661 times
Not a basic human right.

But for those who got indicted in criminal case and can't afford a lawyer, the court shouldn't assign him a taxpayer-funded legal aid lawyer for defense. IMO that shouldn't be basic human right either.

I would prefer my tax money to subsidize those with pre-existing condition instead of aiding the murderer or rapist.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:41 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,235,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whocares811 View Post
Actually, my example was hypothetical, but there have been cases in which enterprising kids did use money they earned or received from other sources to invest in materials to make even more money. For example, I know some kids in my neighborhood whose parents made them buy all the ingredients for their lemonade stand out of the kids' "own" money (although, granted, this was most likely from gifts, allowances or from doing other chores that might have meant using their parents' cleaning products) --and, yes, their parents probably allowed them to borrow a pitcher from home (oh, the horror!) -- so of course there goes my argument. Yes, I suppose the parents could have charged the kids rent for what they borrowed, but I doubt whether that would even satisfy you.

Btw, you might want to watch the following video. I doubt if ALL the materials, including the old beat-up lawn mower, would have cost more than a total of $100. (I could be wrong, of course.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnFTC8-eFyQ

But if you want to nit-pick and say that for someone to truly be earning everything he had all by himself (or herself), s/he would have had to pay for everything entirely from his own hard work, go right ahead. And if you want to put someone down for having the gumption to want to earn more money, that is your right, also.

But it just amazes me to read or hear the lengths people will go to to justify someone for not doing what most people must do to have a nice lifestyle. (And, to say it AGAIN, I am only talking about people who could get a job that pays enough to support him/her, but who choose not to do so. I am certainly NOT talking about someone who is unable to get a decent-paying job, and I know that this applies to MANY poor people.)
Not nitpicking at all.

Merely showing you that any example of a pull 'em by the bootstraps success story is almost always a story of people coming together in some form so they all succeed.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:45 PM

26,969 posts, read 15,187,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Right, so in your world it makes sense to force hospitals and their providers to pay for those who cannot, which skyrockets health care costs, as well as denying them preventative care which would keep them out of the hospital in the first place. Rather than having a government based system where all are covered, costs are lowered, and people are better able to control their health issues. Not to mention the business and job growth which would be encouraged by not forcing employers to pay into their employees insurance plans.

A contradiction in one sentence......we know better than that.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:47 PM

733 posts, read 754,057 times
Hot topic! I just posted a poll here for this question. Not trying to steal this thread - keep it going here. But am curious to see an easier breakdown of folk's opinions. Thanks!

Old 05-08-2017, 02:47 PM

2,940 posts, read 1,805,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
Yes.

If education can be a human right, so can healthcare.... Without education, one won't die. Just a FYI...

Old 05-08-2017, 02:48 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,816,424 times
Quote:
Go re-read what I wrote. Slowly this time, so you can understand. Not once did I say Doctors "contribute" to "slave labor".

Whoosh.

Try again.

Interesting metric for a conversation. I'm not allowed to talk about Doctors and Healthcare, because...well you say so. But you can because of your unequalled qualification of having a "cousin" who is a Doctor in Canada.

I had a "girlfriend" in Canada when I was younger too :crazy:

I'm a dual US/Canadian citizen. I've lived in both countries and have, like, actually experienced first hand the healthcare systems in both countries. I lived that first 30 years of my life in a country with universal healthcare. I'm a child of European parents who grew up in country that's had universal healthcare since before WWII.

You?

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 05-08-2017 at 03:03 PM..

Old 05-08-2017, 02:49 PM

34,744 posts, read 16,758,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
Why do you think these countries can afford to do this?

Because of the aid they receive from us in various forms, not the least of which is providing for their national defence.
Interesting. Have any data to back up your assertion?
Certain things are obvious. The U.S. is basically paying for NATO, which defends such generous countries as Germany, Canada and Britain. Thus they can afford to lecture us.

Old 05-08-2017, 02:51 PM

423 posts, read 185,608 times
It’s surreal to me that in one of the most wealthy nations in the world citizens go bankrupt everyday just because of getting ill. I live in one of the poorest Eastern-EU countries but even here such system would be unimaginable. I can’t picture the constant stress from illness or injury that big numbers of Americans may possibly have to live with everyday.
This is not a debate between liberalism and conservatism, it’s simply a matter of basic human conditions in the 21.st century.

Ironic that such conditions can exist in a nation that considers itself the police of the world, while it lets its own citizens die a shameful death on a daily basis. I love America and its people (my favourite country to visit and explore) but the system is seriously screwed and so many of you don't even realise it because of the lack of a different system to compare.

Funny graphic: http://christopherkeelty.com/wp-cont...2013/09/BB.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies