Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2017, 08:29 AM

5,301 posts, read 2,351,820 times

Advertisements

Saying healthcare is a human right is saying "do things for me (and everyone else) for simply existing". It's the same with any other good or service. The mindset is that need determines rights, which is crazy.

Imagine that you and another person are stranded on an island. You decide to build a shelter, put together some type of weapon to hunt, and collect rainwater. The other person comes along and hasn't done those things, but they claim a right to them because they need it to survive. That is supposedly "fairness" in their mind.

The same rules apply no matter how many people you add to the scenario. Rights don't change just because you're surrounded by more people or have advanced technologies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 08:32 AM

3,997 posts, read 4,139,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Statz2k10 View Post
I would be okay with healthcare being free in this country if the following occurred?

1. You only had children if you could afford X children.
2. You did not smoke/drink excessively.
3. You did not participate in activities that harm your life.

As somebody like myself who is responsible for my own actions I don't think it's fair that so many people who take advantage of the 3 reasons above get free healthcare.

They already get ER visits if they are in serious need. It's unfortunate but I don't think the federal government should provide the services like that. If you want free healthcare it should come from groups wanting to support that stuff.
Free? Nothing in life is free. There is no such thing as "free" health care. Somebody somewhere is paying.. the issue is WHO........

Old 05-09-2017, 08:38 AM

77,005 posts, read 47,581,593 times
Quote:
Do you consider healthcare a basic human right?
When doctors take the Hippocratic Oath, they put themselves in a position where their services can be considered a right.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:44 AM

4,279 posts, read 1,902,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I'm not denying they pay more taxes nor am I saying they aren't heavily regulated.
Then you invalidated your own argument and completely validated mine. Do you people even think about the stuff you write?

Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,282,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
Then you invalidated your own argument and completely validated mine. Do you people even think about the stuff you write?
How do you figure?

I wonder if you think before you write. I've said numerous times that they pay more in taxes. They do. It doesn't invalidate my argument that NHS works well in many countries and those countries where NHS exists report higher levels of success in all metrics - certainly better than in the United States.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
There is no "pick one". Liberty and common good always sit in balance. Pick one. War with Iraq or liberty? Freedom not to pay for a useless war. Freedom or roads? I don't want to pay for your stupid roads. I walk to work. I am good with balance.
You aren't. You just made the argument that liberty is irrelevant to the common good. That is, you think it is acceptable to infringe on liberty for whatever social cause the majority decides to claim is required.

Liberty is void in your position. Liberty is not a right.

I really wish you people would stop lying to yourself.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM

45,192 posts, read 26,403,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
When doctors take the Hippocratic Oath, they put themselves in a position where their services can be considered a right.
Just like the Boy Scout oath that requires all young males to throw their jacket across puddles for little old ladies to walk across

Old 05-09-2017, 08:51 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,177,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NxtGen View Post
You aren't. You just made the argument that liberty is irrelevant to the common good. That is, you think it is acceptable to infringe on liberty for whatever social cause the majority decides to claim is required.

Liberty is void in your position. Liberty is not a right.

I really wish you people would stop lying to yourself.
Liberty is already balanced with the common good, numb nut.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:55 AM

45,192 posts, read 26,403,967 times
Quote:
There is no such thing as common good, just as there is no common sense. Now there is mob rule.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:04 AM

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding the meaning of the word. You can not have "liberty" and then forced servitude. Liberty is free will and if you allow infringement on liberty, then you do not have free will.

So, you do not believe liberty is a right.

Also note people, they have to resort to name calling when their poor arguments are shown to fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies