Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 PM

19,725 posts, read 11,968,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
While I personally would rather pay for my own healthcare due to circumstances I cannot though I don't really use it much anyway. I take supplements/herbs instead. I avoid going to the doctor as much as I can..unless I'm really in a panic I don't even go for physical checkups. The only doctor I regularly see is the therapist.
However I can understand for other people they don't have the capability of avoiding the doctor like I do because they have worse physical conditions. I don't see the big deal. I'D be happy to just have a job I could tolerate (if I can't tolerate it I don't apply because I know I won't be able to sell myself) so whether I'm paying for someone else's healthcare in taxes, it's not that much. At least I'm getting paid SOMETHING. It always gets me when employed people grumble about taxes. How about being grateful someone actually gave you a chance? Some of us don't have that luxury and get rejected for every job we apply for. I'd love to trade positions with you if it's that much of a bother. You can take my free healthcare and I'll take your job (like I said I'd love to have it that way where I was making a steady income). I don't even really want it anyway when they throw medicine at you half the time. The only thing I want to keep is the therapy because it's probably necessary with all my mental problems.
It's not really that much the way it's been set up because it's a collective effort, not even remotely the same as theft. The world is a circle literally so it can easily be figuratively. You pay for them partially and that ensures they have a chance to get back into the workforce. It comes back to you because then they are paying for you when you're too sick to work. I'm also okay with it because when I think about it it might even go further. They might be a person who knows who knows a person who has also spent money helping an inspiration of mine succeed. I just sounded really confusing but if you think circularly you'll get what I'm saying.
As much as I'm a loner I know that the world is connected. Pocahontas said it best "we are all connected to each other in a circle in a hoop that never ends"

The only problem I would have for paying taxes for healthcare is whether I'm paying into Big Pharma because the more medicine they give them the more they need but I don't know everyone's situation so maybe some actually have no other option. I know some medications are a necessarily evil as much as I believe in the natural way.

Most likely it's not hurting your back directly but if your back hurts enough you're not going to be able to put 100 percent in your fitness.
You do realize that many of those grumbling taxpayers work jobs they can barely tolerate to pay for your "free" healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 01:51 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,793,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It is entirely possible to maintain a reasonable weight with diet alone.
I don't see it because if you're not moving around you're not burning what you ate. Fat is still fat whether it's healthy or not.
The only way you can burn it is in your sleep but if your back hurts you're probably not going to get quality sleep.
Even if you're at a reasonable weight, you're still "skinny fat" because you're not building muscle.
Lack of balance and posture also helps you be at an unhealthy weight.
I'm not a fitness expert but I would think the logical thing is to not rely on diet alone. To be truly healthy you should do both.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

7,827 posts, read 3,349,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacewarrior99 View Post
I can't stand up all day for no minimal wage. My back won't handle it.
Yes there are some people less fortunate than others and some who have made poor choices. In those cases, you should turn to family, friends or charity for assistance and not fall back on a government handout.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:53 PM

78,866 posts, read 46,366,092 times
Quote:
I can't stand up all day for no minimal wage. My back won't handle it.

Install floors!

Old 05-10-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
You do realize that many of those grumbling taxpayers work jobs they can barely tolerate to pay for your "free" healthcare.
Even then they have the power to because they are good at lying. I tried applying to Target before for example and they could tell I wasn't interested. Burlington Coat Factory was even worse. I'm not a "clothes" person so I tanked the interview.
So in a sense they can tolerate it better than me because they can fake what they do. They can fake the effort as well as sell themselves better.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:56 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,005,146 times
Quote:
I was not talking about me i get by by living cheap. I learned to cut back on my cokes and only order from the dollar manu at McDonalds. But others have it bad because there ain't many good jobs.
I just want to point out to everyone...when I am advocating for free healthcare, I have not drank a soda in years and will not eat even a salad from McDonalds.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:58 PM

5,886 posts, read 10,484,368 times
Wow, the right wingers are having their own little party, arent they?

This "i dont have to pay for you" bs originates in the fallacy that, since we are all born equal, everyone has earned what they have.

NO YOU HAVENT

Right wingers loooove to think they are better than other people, they need to feel they are better. Thank god the poor exist, so right wingers can go ahead and think all poor people are like that because they are lazy or didnt work hard enough.

But no, maybe those two posters whom you are attacking had a very difficult upbringing. Maybe the poor person you see on the streets and judge has only see violence and hunger in his life. Maybe he was so poor he had to start begging for food in the streets when he was 4. Maybe his dad is in prision and his mom has been killed so he has no one and had to beg for a living since he was a little kid, therefore he didnt have access to education of any type, less so college, and, now in his 30s, he is working a very basic job for minimal wage, 16 hours a day.

So, according to your logic, I, that i have 2 college degrees, and work in a big shot publisher, and earn a lot more than him, am A LOT better than him, because i own a home, 2 cars, have this 2 shiny titles hanging in my wall, have this job and all this knowledge and him? Well, he is just a basic worker who earns minimum wage.

Nice, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
I just want to point out to everyone...when I am advocating for free healthcare, I have not drank a soda in years and will not eat even a salad from McDonalds.
I can't even go to the bathroom in McDonald's. God I hate that place. I'd rather starve myself than eat there.
I don't like fast food much in general though for a while but McDonald's is the worst.

8,170 posts, read 6,005,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickchick View Post
I don't see it because if you're not moving around you're not burning what you ate. Fat is still fat whether it's healthy or not.
The only way you can burn it is in your sleep but if your back hurts you're probably not going to get quality sleep.
Even if you're at a reasonable weight, you're still "skinny fat" because you're not building muscle.
Lack of balance and posture also helps you be at an unhealthy weight.
I'm not a fitness expert but I would think the logical thing is to not rely on diet alone. To be truly healthy you should do both.
Simple lesson... Weight loss is from Calories in and Calories out. Weight loss will happen if you consume less calories than your body burns. So for me my TDEE is 1600 calories a day. If I eat 1600 I will maintain my weight. If I eat less, I will lose weight.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:01 PM

19,507 posts, read 9,043,989 times
I think, once again, this thread has gotten somewhat off-topic, but to respond to the recent track about choices --

I think almost everyone has made some bad choices in life, and I have made some WHOPPERS. However, the difference is that some people take responsibility for those choices and don't expect others to pay for their mistakes (as opposed to circumstances beyond their control), while others refuse to admit any blame for their lot in life.

To illustrate, I could have focused more on doing whatever it took to have a professional and high-paying career, but I chose to focus on other things. That worked out fairly well, as I now have a middle-class life -- that wasn't always the case, btw, as I was much poorer when I was young -- but I am not going to say that it is anyone's fault but my own that I am not living a "country club" type of lifestyle and taking a month-long European resort vacation every year. Sure, I could say that it wasn't my fault that my parents were not rich and so I did not have the advantages that millionaires' children have, but I still could have studied harder and obtained university scholarships -- I just chose not to do so. I have never believed that, despite my only having a B average in high school, the government should have funded a university education for me, anyway. (But to be clear, I do think that some leeway should be given to poor children, but just not a huge amount.)

But getting back on topic, I DO think that all everyone SHOULD receive basic healthcare, but not free healthcare unless there are extenuating circumstance that make it impossible for them to pay for at least some of it. (I would, however, not be opposed to some kind of "Medicare for everyone" in which every worker contributes into one big "pot". For one thing, I think that might end a lot of the discord between the "haves" and the "have-nots".)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies