Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 09:12 AM

26,469 posts, read 15,057,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Which has NOTHING to do with taxes.

Matthew 22:21 Jesus said "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's; and to God the things that are God's." Romans 13:1 "Let every person be in subjection to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God and those which exist are established by God."

That says-pay your taxes.

Often qouted phrase-that is not in the bible. Apart from salvation, there is little in this qoute that is in the bible.

Weird, I never claimed any of this here. Thats all in your mind.

Read my first post. The highlighted parts are in fact relevant.

If it makes you happy, I did here in this post, but perhaps not the way you expected. But lets discuss this briefly. you know those guys you voted in? They represent you, and if you believ, they should represent your beliefs. Read the passage I quoted. Here where I live people die without insurance, and often horribly, and slowly. Here? We've had homeless people die in the winter months.
Those are the least of us, and as per the passage I brought up, that is how you treat Jesus Christ.

Jesus Christ dying in the streets, and dying of sickness. Thats what happens to our less fortunate. And my passage I quoted is EXACTLY about that. The rest of your nonsense here is a dodge, and doesn't deserve a response.

Total insured went up by tens of millions. Your argument is nonsense

Charity also means that you DO something other then drop 10% on the plate. Like oh say...vote for people that wouldnt leave Jesus Christ to die horribly, or freeze to death on the streets. So yes, your voting choices are a reflection. Party before religion?

At a guess I understand it better then you.

Please do not put words into my mouth like the bolded. Additionally the out of context quotes you use are a particularly vile piece of nonsense. The vast majority do wish to work. Why is it especially vile? Because context matters. And because it doesn't change what my question was. Healthcare. Jesus specifically called that out, and said how you treated the least of us, was how you treated him.

As to why context matters, this link perhaps goes into it better then I can:
I don't think the words in Thessalonians 3:10 mean what you think they mean

From the link:

Thessalonians:

Overall the responses so far simply tell me that very few of you have actually read the bible. Some create quotes not in it, others use out of context quotes to justify their actions, or try to justify it because....gay marriage? Really?
I have been for gay marriage a decade and a half before Obama was.

I took a class in history of the New Testament.

The quotes I used come straight from the Bible and in context can be interpreted exactly how I did.

Why do you feel that you can pick and choose when others follow the Bible within politics? Hypocritical political expediency?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 09:36 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
"God helps those who help themselves."

Not in the bible. But the meaning from the bible is to pray for guidance and support does not mean waiting for divine intervention for the help while sitting on your butt.

It means pray but to forge ahead to solve your own problem and while doing that you might have a thought on how to better yourself that could be interpreted as divine intervention.

Many passages in the bible that supports that statement.

Therefore a true Christian will help to get someone on the right path so the individual can help himself. But it starts with individual helping himself with maybe a helpful nudge.

So stop with the Christian hating poor meme. It doesn't wash.

God helps those who help themselves.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:37 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,297,842 times
Quote:
First off, I am not a christian. But a lot of folks are, and I dont understand how they can defend trump care.

How is it that given the above bolded, that the Christians who support Trump and Republicans do not go and demand Universal healthcare?
Demanding that the government (other taxpayers) provide for my needs is not responsible, and demanding that government (other taxpayers) provide for the needs of others is not charity. Charitable giving is giving from the heart.

Shall we demand that government (other taxpayers) provide a roof over out heads? Shall we demand that everyone needs a nice home and that government should provide it?

2 Thessalonians 3:10 says, "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

Quote:
How can they be OK with millions losing their healthcare, and thousands dying. How can they be OK with our homeless problem?
"Thousands dying?" Can you prove this? Thousands dye from abortion. Are you okay with that?

Old 05-08-2017, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

Not in the bible. But the meaning from the bible is to pray for guidance and support does not mean waiting for divine intervention for the help while sitting on your butt.

It means pray but to forge ahead to solve your own problem and while doing that you might have a thought on how to better yourself that could be interpreted as divine intervention.

Therefore a true Christian will help to get someone on the right path so the individual can help himself. But it starts with individual helping himself with maybe a helpful nudge.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.

Old 05-08-2017, 09:41 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,214,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him to fish and he will eat for a lifetime.
That popping sound must be liberals heads imploding.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:41 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Too emotionally attached to freedom. Lol

That's pretty much what this country was founded on.
Out of context. That post made it pretty clear that we don't always see the ways in which we are not free.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoLogic View Post
Sodom and Gomorrah were destroyed by god due to their immoral behavior. Democrat party and Liberals support an immoral policy towards LGBT, abortion, and promotes promiscuous behavior. Let the poor and immoral burn for all I care. A few innocents will suffer, but you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs.
Wow. Just...wow.

I'm speechless.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,601,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T-310 View Post

There was a big flood in Mississippi.

Cleatus was stranded on top of his roof with the flood waters continuing to rise.

His neighbor came by in a raft and told Cleatus to get in, but he declined saying God would save him.

Later, a fireman in an airboat came by, but again Cleatus refused to go saying God would save him.

A helicopter spotted Cleatus and tried to get him, but Cleatus remained devout and remained on the roof.

Cleatus began to drown, and with his last breath shouted, "God, why didn't you save me?"

God replied, "I sent you a raft, an airboat and a helicopter."

Last edited by PedroMartinez; 05-08-2017 at 11:22 AM..

Old 05-08-2017, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
i'm just going by what you yourself have written.
No. You are judging my soul, and that, last time I checked, is God's job. I might call you a bad Christian, but I would never dare to say that you aren't one at all.

Old 05-08-2017, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
No. You are judging my soul, and that, last time I checked, is God's job. I might call you a bad Christian, but I would never dare to say that you aren't one at all.
No, I'm not judging your soul. You asked a question (said you had the same question that the OP had). And I said, any Christian knows the answer to that question.

Perhaps I could rephrase: A mature Christian who has studied God's word knows the answer (does not need to ask that question).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies