Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2017, 10:33 AM

52,698 posts, read 34,542,421 times

Advertisements

the point was to penalize sugary drinks due to health issues (stupid idea if you ask me), but that has to change due to 'disparate impact'

Quote:
The changes were recommendations that emerged when staff from the mayor’s office and the office of Councilmember Tim Burgess studied disparate impacts the tax could have on people with low incomes and on people of color, according to Murray.

That work involved conversations with community advocates, public-health professionals and business owners, according to the mayor. After Murray’s initial announcement, some suggested the exclusion of beverages with artificial sweeteners would be unfair because affluent white people tend to consume more diet drinks.
Diet drinks added to Seattle mayor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2017, 02:54 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Default How stupid can a mayor be?

Ed Murray takes the cake for stupidity. Sorry Ed, we are laughing at you, not with you.
-----------------

The mayor of Seattle has altered the rules of his proposed soda tax — which would fund education for minorities–to include diet drinks because affluent white people tend to consume them more.

Mayor Ed Murray of the staunchly liberal Seattle city originally proposed the soda tax during his state of the city address in February. Under his initial plan, distributors of sugary drinks would have to pay 2 cents per ounce.

It would cover sodas such as Coke and Pepsi, energy drinks like Red Bull, fruit drinks, sweetened teas and bottled coffees such as those sold by Starbucks.

The Mayor claimed the tax would bring $16 million in revenue that would be spent on education programs aimed at reducing disparities between the city’s white students and students of color.

But the mayor has updated the plan after the staff of the mayor’s office told him that the tax would actually disproportionately fall on poor minorities, who have higher rates of soda consumption than white residents.

https://heatst.com/culture-wars/seat...mod=sm_fb_post

Old 05-08-2017, 03:01 PM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times
Isn't this the mayor who has been accused by four men of paying them for sex when they were teens? Why yes it is.

4th man accuses Seattle mayor Ed Murray of sex abuse decades ago - wptv.com

I wonder what the people of his city think about these accusations that he paid teens living in a facility for "troubled teens" for sex years ago.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:04 PM

10,452 posts, read 4,035,751 times
Isn't it against the constitution to propose and enact on laws that are aimed at a specific race of people?

Anyways, if this mayor is to go ahead with this plan, I sure hope the white people will pack up and literally enact on whiteflight and go to a place where they are welcomed.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:05 PM

19,836 posts, read 12,096,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
Isn't this the mayor who has been accused by four men of paying them for sex when they were teens? Why yes it is.

4th man accuses Seattle mayor Ed Murray of sex abuse decades ago - wptv.com

I wonder what the people of his city think about these accusations that he paid teens living in a facility for "troubled teens" for sex years ago.
He preyed on the vulnerable.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:20 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,296,750 times
Get some diet grape soda. Does that exist?

Old 05-08-2017, 03:23 PM

31,290 posts, read 20,735,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Isn't it against the constitution to propose and enact on laws that are aimed at a specific race of people?
Yes, but you can't win that battle in the court of public opinion. Laws that are designed to penalize people for the color of their skin are only supported if the target color is white.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:28 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Affirmative action for soda.

Now we've seen it all.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:33 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,356,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Get some diet grape soda. Does that exist?
It does. It's called Zevia.

Kicking grape drinks was tough for me when I became a health nut in my early 20s.

I loved grape soda.

Old 05-08-2017, 03:43 PM

5,859 posts, read 3,296,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
It does. It's called Zevia.

Kicking grape drinks was tough for me when I became a health nut in my early 20s.

I loved grape soda.
Actually I only drink diet now. Yes I am very white lol. Regular soda is way to sweet for me. My wife loves the diet Dr Pepper. I like diet colas,,Diet Orange Crush and I like diet root beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies