Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 04:51 PM

31,166 posts, read 22,192,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by james159 View Post
I never thought I would see so much argument FOR segregation. Funny how the democrat policies of the past run full circle.
They really haven't run full circle as they have always played both sides with the likes of Woodrow Wilson, FDR, and Lyndon Johnson, not to mention Bill Clinton and his Mandatory Sentences that overly affected intercity black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 AM

2,076 posts, read 1,653,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredcop111 View Post
Harvard students plan graduation ceremony for blacks only, claim it’s ‘not about segregation’ – TheBlaze
If the white students decided that they wanted an all white graduation I am sure the blacks would be outraged.
As a minority, I would not want to be at an Ivy League University because the resentment against Affirmative Action is too divisive. I was much more comfortable in Florida where Affirmative Action was outlawed and the stigma wasn't there. I attended the main graduation ceremony for my master's degree at Gainesville. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I'd rather go to a "Public Ivy" where Affirmative Action was outlawed.

Affirmative action: It’s time for liberals to admit it isn’t working.

With that said, the African American students are probably simply celebrating their accomplishments in the face of hundreds of years of sociological oppression. But I doubt many white students in the Ivy League would empathize with that. The resentment against Affirmative Action probably overwhelms the thought process too much. It may also be that the resentment is so huge that many black students can sense the resentment and feel unwelcome at the main graduation by white classmates who view them as not deserving to be there. Affirmative Action creates a divide and things like this start happening - a re-segregation.

Old 05-14-2017, 01:02 AM

800 posts, read 509,931 times
Its ok, as long as whites can also have their own strictly "whites only" public groups. Is that a deal liberals? I'm guessing for a lot of liberals thats NOT a deal. Blacks and other minorities can have their own clubs and organizations and whatnot, but all whites?? No no!! It has too be welcoming for EVERYONE! Just like western nations...

Old 05-14-2017, 02:11 AM

15,063 posts, read 6,201,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wambatown81 View Post
Its ok, as long as whites can also have their own strictly "whites only" public groups. Is that a deal liberals? I'm guessing for a lot of liberals thats NOT a deal. Blacks and other minorities can have their own clubs and organizations and whatnot, but all whites?? No no!! It has too be welcoming for EVERYONE! Just like western nations...
Did you attend college/university?

People of all backgrounds are permitted to have and/or join clubs where the focus is on minority groups. Further, there are student groups for European/European-Americans as well.

For example, there are Irish-American Student Unions (and Polish, Greek, Italian etc). That's no different from a Jamaican-American student union. In fact, the Jamaican group is likely to be more diverse and perhaps have a minority of Jamaican whites and chinese, just like in Jamaica.

Old 05-14-2017, 02:32 AM

27,220 posts, read 15,396,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calipoppy View Post
White people have whites only clubs. So what? No one cares.

Uhh, yes they do.

Where have you been?

Old 05-14-2017, 06:07 AM

59,347 posts, read 27,522,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
They really haven't run full circle as they have always played both sides with the likes of Woodrow Wilson, FDR, and Lyndon Johnson, not to mention Bill Clinton and his Mandatory Sentences that overly affected intercity black people.
"not to mention Bill Clinton and his Mandatory Sentences that overly affected intercity black people."

If they did NOT break the laws, they would NOT put in prison.

Funny how that works.

Old 05-14-2017, 06:13 AM

59,347 posts, read 27,522,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grad_student200 View Post
As a minority, I would not want to be at an Ivy League University because the resentment against Affirmative Action is too divisive. I was much more comfortable in Florida where Affirmative Action was outlawed and the stigma wasn't there. I attended the main graduation ceremony for my master's degree at Gainesville. It was one of the best experiences of my life.

I'd rather go to a "Public Ivy" where Affirmative Action was outlawed.

Affirmative action: It’s time for liberals to admit it isn’t working.

With that said, the African American students are probably simply celebrating their accomplishments in the face of hundreds of years of sociological oppression. But I doubt many white students in the Ivy League would empathize with that. The resentment against Affirmative Action probably overwhelms the thought process too much. It may also be that the resentment is so huge that many black students can sense the resentment and feel unwelcome at the main graduation by white classmates who view them as not deserving to be there. Affirmative Action creates a divide and things like this start happening - a re-segregation.
"celebrating their accomplishments in the face of hundreds of years of sociological oppression"

Something they themselves did NOT experience proven by they fact they ARE graduation from some say is the BEST university in the world.

I'd bet that MOST "African-Americans" couldn't even name half of the countries in Africa or know the names of their presidents, or whatever their title is.

Old 05-14-2017, 07:01 AM

6,485 posts, read 4,098,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Harvard had long set aside roughly 8% of it's admission slots for blacks (and 8% for Hispanics). In recent years that's gone up to 12%.
https://bossip.com/947325/race-matte...tino-students/
The dude in question scored 2250/2400 on the old SAT, just because more people are getting in doesn't mean their is a racial quota. Harvard is still 2% black. If anything from the previous link Whites are getting a 40%
boost over Asians...

Old 05-14-2017, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"celebrating their accomplishments in the face of hundreds of years of sociological oppression"

Something they themselves did NOT experience proven by they fact they ARE graduation from some say is the BEST university in the world.

I'd bet that MOST "African-Americans" couldn't even name half of the countries in Africa or know the names of their presidents, or whatever their title is.
I'd bet that most of those Harvard graduate students can name half of those nations and are likely far more intelligent than most in this thread griping about their additional ceremony.

Since the above is your reaction to the AA ceremony, what is your reaction to these ceremonies?

https://wp.nyu.edu/socialwork-silver...-graduation-2/

Asian Excellence Awards and Graduation Ceremony : Multicultural Center

https://www.cc-seas.columbia.edu/gradzone/multicultural

Old 05-14-2017, 07:23 AM

Latino graduates held their first separate ceremony at Harvard in 2015.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.nbcne...uation-n365531

Why is it such a huge problem now that "African-Americans" are doing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies