Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 05:41 AM

8,170 posts, read 6,035,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
In the first place, this happened in Canada, so why are people in the US whining about it?

In the second place, I'm not sure making these presents at school was ever a good idea. What about kids whose mom or dad is dead? What are they supposed to do during these activities, other than sit there and feel awful?
Exactly. These types of events should be done at home, if they apply to that family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 06:06 AM

2,771 posts, read 2,303,369 times
Default The thot plickens!

And from yet another article:
(Emphasis mine)

Quote:
Mission Public School District Superintendent Angus Wilson confirmed the letter was sent to parents, but he noted the cancellation came with a valid reason.

"The reasoning wasn’t some cabal or some political plan,” Wilson said. “Instead, there has been a recent trauma involving a student and its parents.”

As a result, classrooms are choosing not to celebrate the holidays, Wilson added.

Wilson could not go into the specifics surrounding the “trauma” in an effort to keep the student’s and its parents’ identities private.

Wilson was aware of the Facebook posts, acknowledging how, without context, many could interpret the letter in a negative way. He added, however, virtually all the parents who did receive the letter understood why it had been sent and understood why the school was taking the direction it was.
So the owners have a subplot they're (rightfully) keeping to themselves. Problem is, they now own a viral news story.

Old 05-09-2017, 06:25 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,586,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowonLuck View Post
Great idea! I would love for every school to do so. My daughter has shed lots of tears over "Fathers day" celebrations and dragging her grandfather to all the events is not the same. I would love for her to not feel left out for these useless school events.
It seems to me that a lot of people have forgotten how tender the feelings of a child can be at that age.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:54 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,558,442 times
I. Don't. Care.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,305,403 times
I think its silly. None of us are the same in every way. Its a good opportunity to educate children on the differences in families. If little Suzy lives with Nana, let her make a card for Nana. I don't see the point in this move, expect laziness on the part of the district.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:05 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think its silly. None of us are the same in every way. Its a good opportunity to educate children on the differences in families. If little Suzy lives with Nana, let her make a card for Nana. I don't see the point in this move, expect laziness on the part of the district.
It wasn't the school district. Per the article " Wilson says teachers have the legal autonomy to decide what they do in their classrooms, when it falls outside the scope of teaching the curriculum."

The teachers were trying to be sensitive to a certain child because..."has to do with a trauma that has been experienced at the school fairly recently," said Wilson."

They admitted the letter didn't communicate properly and hence the news.

I don't understand the fuss.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,555,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevySpoons View Post
Suggest that you ask a Mod to retitle your thread to "School in Mission, BC, has nixed...."

The rest of Canada does not necessarily follow the policies of the community of Mission, BC.
Reminds me a a few years ago when a woman I worked with INSISTED that Australia had banned Sant Claus.
Turns out, a mall, in some Australian backwater, decided not to have a Santa that Christmas.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:07 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,489,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
It wasn't the school district. Per the article " Wilson says teachers have the legal autonomy to decide what they do in their classrooms, when it falls outside the scope of teaching the curriculum."

The teachers were trying to be sensitive to a certain child because..."has to do with a trauma that has been experienced at the school fairly recently," said Wilson."

They admitted the letter didn't communicate properly and hence the news.

I don't understand the fuss.
Fear and paranoia is rampant in certain circles. They don't understand not everyone is thusly afflicted.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:11 AM

7,680 posts, read 5,529,153 times
Quote:
"The intention, as I understand it, has to do with a trauma that has been experienced at the school fairly recently," said Wilson.
Interesting choice of words - trauma "at the school fairly recently". I wonder if a little girl or little boy in the school has lost BOTH of their parents recently and the child's losses have also emotionally affected their classmates? Not all parents may be in the know.

*shrug* Just a possibility. Those who know what trauma occurred at the school are in the best position to criticize. We on this board are not those people. I can also understand why the school would choose not to describe the trauma, whatever it is, in a letter to parents which anyone might read.

Old 05-09-2017, 10:45 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,840,114 times
Most holidays are commercial & unnecessary so who cares. Get rid of all holidays & create floating holidays where people can celebrate whatever they want. Everything is offensive now so scratch off all popular holidays & let people decide what & when they want to celebrate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies