Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 11:15 AM

8,924 posts, read 5,626,404 times

Advertisements

What good is that going to do? We've been there 16 years already. Why keep losing American lives? These people won't fight for their own country. Is it worth it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 11:19 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
I'm loving how there are very few conservatives who will step up to the plate and denounce the idea of Trump wanting to ramp up another war in Afghanistan.

This thread is 6 pages now, and I believe only one or two Trump supporters had the courage to say they disagree with him. Kudos to those folks.

Most Trumpers would rather ignore this thread then to come in here and acknowledge they think he's wrong. When it comes to most Trump voters, their egos are just as big as Donald's.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyflower3191981 View Post
I remember at one point, Afghan Taliban was not on US List of Foreign Terror Groups, now we are going back to fight them?

It is a crazy idea.
It's crazier than that.

In the 80s they were called mujahadeen and we shipped many millions of dollars of arms to them. On the taxpayers' dime.

We considered them "freedom fighters" when they opposed the Soviets.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
It's crazier than that.

In the 80s they were called mujahadeen and we shipped many millions of dollars of arms to them. On the taxpayers' dime.

We considered them "freedom fighters" when they opposed the Soviets.
wow.

Oh, I have a friend who was with USMC India battery 3-12, he was the artillery guy. I remember they were fighting talibans and several of his combat buddies died. I could be wrong, but this is what I remembered.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:22 AM

1,548 posts, read 913,188 times
Why are we over there?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:26 AM

39,228 posts, read 27,597,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
And the party that started those wars whines about "budget deficits" as they underfund the VA that exists to serve the veterans of their conflicts.
Regarding this subject, I posted on the military forum that I believe combat vets deserve some extra pays. I am okay with a good portion of my tax dollars go to veteran care, it has to be fair though. Like the 20 years all or nothing retirement plan must go in my opinion. I have many many MANY friends who have seen combat, served 6 years and got nothing, (well, besides GI bill and some standard benefits) I have a friend who lost an arm and is raising a son with Leukemia, he gets $2375/month for losing an arm. Those who didn't lose anything get nothing.

One friend's mom is a veteran I guess, made it to 20 years sitting in an office, got a good retirement benefit. Not saying she doesn't deserve it.. of course she deserves it. but those who have seen combat should receive a little something.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:29 AM

17,795 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by American Expat View Post
I'm guessing the overwhelming majority of Trump supporters, like me, are 100% against sending any more troops into Afhan.
Who knows, maybe Trump's 30 day "fool proof" plan to defeat ISIS was just a couple months late.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:32 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I'm loving how there are very few conservatives who will step up to the plate and denounce the idea of Trump wanting to ramp up another war in Afghanistan.
There were maybe 3-4 of us also complaining about Obama.

Quote:
This thread is 6 pages now, and I believe only one or two Trump supporters had the courage to say they disagree with him. Kudos to those folks.

Most Trumpers would rather ignore this thread then to come in here and acknowledge they think he's wrong. When it comes to most Trump voters, their egos are just as big as Donald's.
I pointed this out to you earlier and you ignored it.

How is it you expect Trump to do what Obama would not do?

Old 05-09-2017, 11:33 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blanker View Post
Why are we over there?
I was told it was over rumors earlier today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsrsrOB0zNQ

Old 05-09-2017, 11:34 AM

10,137 posts, read 17,479,644 times
I supported use of the MOAB but haven't we learned................you can't take that territory no one has ever succeeded not the Brits not the Russians...........and the US will be no different.

Watch the 60 minutes segment from a couple of years back the interviewed the Taliban.............they are simple mud hut people with soccer balls and RPG's and AK 47's.......you can't beat that simplicity it's their advantage.

They are some of the best guerrilla fighters ever seen and we are going to suddenly now win after 15 years........don't think so

Leave a small force there so the Taliban can't overrun the capital and drop a MOAB again if needed

Call it a day
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies