Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 04:13 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tipsywicket View Post
There is no SNL skit funnier than this one between Chevy Chase and Richard Pryor. If your liberal senses cannot see the humor in it, I feel bad for you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2u1bpXVGHE
A classic.

Pryor played that to perfection. Freaking legend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 04:16 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 21 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,536,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
White comedians have used the n-word in the past and have been raked over the coals. Do you think he is helping race relations?
Some white writers have, not all.

Based on what I have seen, its situational.

Have you ever watched BET's late night comedy specials(well, when they were on), white comics used the N word all the time in front of black audiences no less.

It seems the problem comes when a white comedians uses the N word as not part of the gag itself, but as an insult to an individual who is being referenced in the gag.

Old 05-09-2017, 04:19 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,934,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
This is why people claim that liberalism is a mental disorder.

Norman Lear was the creator of All in the Family, Sanford and Son, Good Times and The Jeffersons.

Norman Lear Leads N-Word Chant in Podcast

The Carmichael Show's Jerrod Carmichael visited Norman Lear's new podcast "All of the Above" this week and talked about how he plans to incorporate the n-word into his network sitcom.

"Wouldn’t it be better if the word...was available?" said Lear. "Making it the worst thing that could ever happen, so that nobody can say anything but the ‘n-word’ — isn’t that a curse on the word and communication?"

Lear said he'd like one of them to use the n-word in the next three minutes. He counted down and then all three men simultaneously said the word.

"By the way, that may be one of the greatest moments of my life," said Carmichael. "I think we’ve done so much for race relations in that moment."
This is deplorable to me. White people (or any people for me) using that term improves race relations according to them. Good luck with that.
Mental disorder, Nope. Stupidity, Yes. ALL extremists, whether left or right, are sheeple that have supped at the propaganda trough one too many times.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:19 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,383 times
reading the full article there's a lot of context left out from the the blurb the article mentions. I get what there where doing though. They were basically having an adult conversation about word and instead of tiptoe-ing around it they all said it just to break the taboo of it for the conversation. I've seen this done before, specifically on the "Race Wars" podcast (hosted by a white man and a black man) where they have this thing about talking about topics and not getting all sweaty about saying "n-word" and just saying the word or any other slur because they were trying to have serious discussions about race and ethnicity. So they would say "just for this podcast we'll just say the word because we're adults who can handle it, but we're not calling people the word just referencing the word."

Nice attempt at outrage though, OP.

Old 05-09-2017, 08:52 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Lenny Bruce, the comedian who used racial slurs so much it landed him in jail, maintained that only when they were used to much they lost all their edge that the United States could become free at last.

He didn't just use the N word. Every bad name a minority has ever been hung with was in his rant list.

Lear comes from Bruce's generation. Lenny died decades ago, but his beliefs never died with him. That's why Richard Pryor used the N word so much, and why a generation of black folks appropriated it for their own, no outsiders allowed.

Take away the sting, and any word loses its strength. That's the way it once may have been, back when the nation's temperature wasn't so fevered. I don't know if it's still like that now. PC isn't good, I believe, but it may be better than the alternatives for a while longer, until we return to our former civility.

Old 05-09-2017, 11:53 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
Lenny Bruce, the comedian who used racial slurs so much it landed him in jail, maintained that only when they were used to much they lost all their edge that the United States could become free at last.

He didn't just use the N word. Every bad name a minority has ever been hung with was in his rant list.

Lear comes from Bruce's generation. Lenny died decades ago, but his beliefs never died with him. That's why Richard Pryor used the N word so much, and why a generation of black folks appropriated it for their own, no outsiders allowed.

Take away the sting, and any word loses its strength. That's the way it once may have been, back when the nation's temperature wasn't so fevered. I don't know if it's still like that now. PC isn't good, I believe, but it may be better than the alternatives for a while longer, until we return to our former civility.
Return to former civility?

In what respect?

Old 05-10-2017, 12:07 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,086,525 times
Well

https://youtube.com/watch?v=jbeT35wtEG0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies