Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2017, 08:57 AM

18,630 posts, read 19,416,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
America needs a big campaign, backed by the POTUS, to increase home ownership among minorities. Loan standards should be relaxed and banks should be encouraged to actively recruit blacks and Hispanics to take out mortgages, even when they have little or no savings and credit history. What could go wrong?
Lmao but then people would complain about predatory lending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2017, 09:00 AM

5,722 posts, read 5,799,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
Home ownership is way overrated. Its a terrible investment that often yields little to no return.

I'll never understand America's obsession with home ownership. Except to say its a status symbol. We humans have to have those.
I would agree with this I lost it a long time ago I had it bookmarked on another computer but there was an article discussing how home ownership can actually hurt you in many cases. You lose a lot of mobility in regards to time sensitive opportunities.

I have a friend right now that wants to move and can transfer to a better area with more opportunities at his company but he is tied down due to his house and a couple of his rental properties.

For me a condo or townhouse where you're part of a H.O.A. is good enough. I'm not even home a lot I travel, do a lot things outdoors, road trips etc.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:03 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,728,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Evidently owning a home and claiming a mortgage interest deduction is unfair, maybe even racist.
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/05/0...nequality.html
You have to actually PAY the interest to be able to deduct it from your taxes.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
You forgot to let the lenders package the loans and resell them, good and bad together. Should add a little excitement to the process.
... and then buy insurance on those packages to protect against losses. What a country!

Old 05-09-2017, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Home ownership is way overrated. Its a terrible investment that often yields little to no return.

I'll never understand America's obsession with home ownership. Except to say its a status symbol. We humans have to have those.

Who will rent to a senior citizen with only SS income? It is better to not have a house payment in your golden years.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:30 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:

Perhaps it is one of those things that invaded our DNA and/or culture during the depression. We know it is a good thing but never knew why.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:34 AM

45,378 posts, read 60,561,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
Perhaps it is one of those things that invaded our DNA and/or culture during the depression. We know it is a good thing but never knew why.
If you're serious, it was a llllllllottttt earlier than that.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:37 AM

23,976 posts, read 15,078,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
Who will rent to a senior citizen with only SS income? It is better to not have a house payment in your golden years.
This very senior's total housing cost including taxes, HOA fees, insurance and utilities is less than the rent on a one bedroom apartment. Nobody will convince me that homeownership is a wash.

When the hearse carries me outta here, the grandkids will get the proceeds. Unless there is another crash, it will be enough for a sizable DP for them each to buy a house.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:38 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,109,569 times
Quote:

Are you serious?!

Old 05-09-2017, 09:40 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
... and then buy insurance on those packages to protect against losses. What a country!
...and then sell the insurance policies to make more money. Oh, the opportunity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies