Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,344,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
In the free market, it is about supply and demand. Hence, the more in demand an area or neighborhood is and the more money the people have that are demanding it, is what causes home values to rise in those areas.

The white demographic is the largest market force in the housing sector. They have much higher disposable incomes and per capita incomes than blacks or Latinos. Hence, where whites desire to live really plays a major role in home value and given that home value is where a lot of individual wealth is gained, race does play a major role in creation of wealth.

Blacks generally have no problem moving into white communities. Latinos generally have no problem with moving into white communities, however, whites have problem with the idea of moving into a black or Latino community (unless its being gentrified). Hence, white communities get strong market demand from all races, increasing the price points (value) of those communities, along with wealth. On the other hand, black communities suffer lower values because the only market demand comes from other black or poor people who do not have a lot of money to begin with...hence they cannot bid up the value of those communities. However, when an area starts to gentrify (meaning becoming popular with whites), note how the values at that point start to rise.

Wealth follows white people in the housing market, as a general rule, due to white aversion to live in areas that are not white.

Zoning = supply control = supply artificially kept below demand. OOPS.

Renters are urban nomads whose housing choices consist of those housing choices rejected by owners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2017, 10:32 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,655,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Zoning = supply control = supply artificially kept below demand. OOPS.

Renters are urban nomads whose housing choices consist of those housing choices rejected by owners.
That does not change the role that race and racism, class and classim, plays in the creation of housing wealth.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:56 AM

4,436 posts, read 7,647,849 times
While in grad school, I had thought about, as my thesis, rent deduction on his/her taxes. I ended up choosing another topic.

At that same time, the New York City Council speaker at the time, Christine Quinn, put out the prospect of tax rebates on rentals. Don't believe it got anywhere.

There was a proposal, in the early 90s, by the late Jack Kemp, to transition public housing into home ownership (HOPE). (I believe he tried to start HOPE in St. Louis!). While it may have been the conservative attempt to privatize public housing, I liked the proposal. All those folk in the PJs could transition to home ownership, and enjoy the benefits, such as the MID.....!

Old 05-11-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatman View Post
While in grad school, I had thought about, as my thesis, rent deduction on his/her taxes. I ended up choosing another topic.

At that same time, the New York City Council speaker at the time, Christine Quinn, put out the prospect of tax rebates on rentals. Don't believe it got anywhere.

There was a proposal, in the early 90s, by the late Jack Kemp, to transition public housing into home ownership (HOPE). (I believe he tried to start HOPE in St. Louis!). While it may have been the conservative attempt to privatize public housing, I liked the proposal. All those folk in the PJs could transition to home ownership, and enjoy the benefits, such as the MID.....!

Earlier this week I heard that Massachusetts has some income tax provision of this sort.

As a rent serf with no hope of owning a home, and paying market rent consuming half my income, I do not support government programs which leapfrog welfare recipients into home ownership.

Old 05-11-2017, 01:16 PM

28,164 posts, read 25,196,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I rent, and I own a home I rent out.

There is a whole lot you cannot do as a renter, I cannot even paint the walls except for specific colors, and forget remodeling anything at all.
That's highly dependent on one's landlord. Some of us can do that, some of us can't.

Old 05-11-2017, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
That's highly dependent on one's landlord. Some of us can do that, some of us can't.

Depends on what the meaning of 'landlord' is.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:56 AM

37,067 posts, read 42,032,683 times
I go back and forth on homeownership. I'm fortunate enough to own but it's also a bit of a trap that may keep you in place even if you don't want to be, especially if your mortgage is lower than current rental prices. It takes money to keep a house in good condition long term and while some people relish that and love caring for their places, others don't have the money, desire or skill to do so. Overall I'm happy to have a place that's mine but I do struggle when I'm hit with multiple repairs in a short time frame, which always seems to happen, and it just get's worse if you let things go too long. But the pluses outweigh the minuses and I don't want to be at the mercy of someone else when it comes to my living arrangements.

Old 05-12-2017, 04:37 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,196,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Depends on what the meaning of 'landlord' is.
Huh?

Landlord - owner of rental property; person/people/company tenant pays money to occupy space

Old 05-12-2017, 05:37 AM

7,827 posts, read 3,354,254 times
There is no doubt that owning is the best option in almost all cases, as home ownership is essentially an investment account, typically growing at a nice rate over the 'period of investment'. Gaining this equity in your home is one of the easiest and fastest ways to build wealth.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,637,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastwardBound View Post
And, lowering the standards so less well off people of all colors could borrow a ton of money in an attempt to expand home ownership rates to poorer people had tremendous negative consequences, as we saw.
What did "we see"?

The housing crisis? It had nothing to do with minority lending. You had a disproportionate # of hispanic borrowers b/c the boom was in Florida, Arizona, California, Nevada -- but black areas lagged behind in value and volume of loans.

This myth that the housing crisis was about minorities is some B.S. It was mostly middle class white people, Joe Sixpack, taking advantage of the mania driven by a globally deregulated bond market. Housing also went nuts in Canada, Australia, South Africa, New Zealand, Ireland, Britain, Spain, Netherlands, Italy, France, Belgium, Portugal, et cetera, none of which was driven by any kind of government minority housing program, either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies