Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2017, 01:34 PM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
They might have been at one point, but would probably raise a few eyebrows if given to a boy today.
Exactly. And we're not talking within just the last few years, we're talking decades ago. I went to school with girls named Carol and Lynn and Stacy and Leslie and Francis, and I'm in my 50s. I don't know what century the OP is living in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2017, 01:36 PM

5,297 posts, read 6,170,467 times
It was a tradition in the old south for a girl child to be named with the surname of a relative or friend. Many boy names were also given to honor a friend or relative. Strictly speaking, these names are neutral, that is they have no masculine or feminine designation.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:37 PM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
There's plenty of men/boys with names that are typically considered feminine. Whitney, Leslie, Ashley, Francis, Carol, Lynn, Shannon, Stacy, Tracy, etc.
Kelly.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,813,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvo Driver View Post
"Why do people give girls masculine names?"

Probably because they feel like it.
This lol.

Both my kids have unisex names - either for boy or girl. So do I and my older brother.

People name their kids what they want to name them.

Old 05-10-2017, 01:40 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wells5 View Post
It was a tradition in the old south for a girl child to be named with the surname of a relative or friend. Many boy names were also given to honor a friend or relative. Strictly speaking, these names are neutral, that is they have no masculine or feminine designation.
Oh good. An answer that actually explains it rather than criticizes me for asking the question. Thank you

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,581,324 times
I think some of it might simply be changing fashions. Most people probably don't know this, but pink used to be a color for boys, and blue for girls. Both sexes also wore dresses when they were babies and young children.

The Surprisingly Recent Time Period When Boys Wore Pink, Girls Wore Blue, and Both Wore Dresses

Old 05-10-2017, 01:50 PM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,286,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marino760 View Post
Half of the names you listed are traditional men's names, not women's.
Yes, and if you think about it, therein lies the answer to your question.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:00 PM

17,338 posts, read 11,259,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
I think some of it might simply be changing fashions. Most people probably don't know this, but pink used to be a color for boys, and blue for girls. Both sexes also wore dresses when they were babies and young children.

The Surprisingly Recent Time Period When Boys Wore Pink, Girls Wore Blue, and Both Wore Dresses
Great article! Thanks for posting it.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:25 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,716,365 times
Quote:
Oh good. An answer that actually explains it rather than criticizes me for asking the question. Thank you
It's CD, it's like tradition. You ask a question, you get a page or two...or three...of complete nonsense before someone comes along and finally answers the question. Of course, that is quickly drowned out by several more pages of nonsense before 2 people start arguing back and forth about something that is only slightly part of the topic, and that goes on for pages until everyone gives up and leaves, only to have the entire thread revived when someone comes along a day or two later, or months later, and answers the OP with yet another snarky comment. From that point: lather, rinse, repeat.

I didn't know about the south, but I know that sometimes people will name their kids because a relative that they love has that name. Like, if someone really, really loved their grandpa, they might name their daughter his name. And then there's those who just name their kids whatever is trendy. I don't that so much, really. Who I feel sorry for are the ones who have parents who name them stupid things like "Apple" or "Moon Unit" or "Paperclip" or whatever.

Old 05-10-2017, 02:37 PM

52,708 posts, read 34,520,329 times
Quote:
Half of the names you listed are traditional men's names, not women's.
vivian used to be a man's name. my grandpa hated being named that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies