Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2017, 06:40 AM

3,368 posts, read 1,594,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
True. All due to oil. Read. for instance, the book by Stanley Marcus (of Neiman-Marcus), whom discusses how Oil created the Texas economy, and Neiman's, back in the 1950s (Minding the Store).

Without Oil, Houston would not exist as it does. Argue as you will, it all goes back to black tea. There is also a book (I do not recall the name) that talks of how Houston became the home of the Texas space industry, due to Houston's wealth (and influence) due to its oil riches.

I know of what I speak. I live in Fort Worth, home of many oil pioneers, that made their wealth from oil, such as from Odessa (yet, choose not to live in that area). I grew up with the Wagners, I knew of the Hunts, knew the Rife's, and many others (due to my father's legal practice).

Heck, watch Dallas to get some idea of the influence oil had on the development of our state.
California's economy was built on booms from natural resources as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2017, 07:02 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,229,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
California's economy was built on booms from natural resources as well.
California's economy was built when Republicans ran the state. Whether or not the Dems will be able to maintain it is uncertain...Silicon Valley has certainly kept Cali from going down.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:44 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,851,204 times
Calif's "trump card" it its weather since most of the state never gets snow; if the climate became like even NYC or DC; a LOT of people would leave cause of its stupid laws.

I say that cause where I live here in Bullhead, Needles on the Calif side of the river's lost a LOT of businesses here to Arizona. Same climate and so on. Poor Needles doesn't have a regular grocery store anymore; the people there on WIC and so no have to shop here and, it's 100 percent legal.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:46 AM

25,447 posts, read 18,567,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
Sorry cons, facts don't lie.

#FactsTrumpAlternativeFacts

Sure, that's why every other person I see in my area has moved from California spouting off how horrible things are there...

Old 05-14-2017, 10:37 AM

10,513 posts, read 5,131,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
...Without Oil, Houston would not exist as it does. Argue as you will, it all goes back to black tea. There is also a book (I do not recall the name) that talks of how Houston became the home of the Texas space industry, due to Houston's wealth (and influence) due to its oil riches.

I know of what I speak. I live in Fort Worth, home of many oil pioneers, that made their wealth from oil....
You're right, a great deal of wealth and power in Texas comes from oil. It's also where I believe some of the climate change denial industry is sourced. Accepting climate change means discouraging the use of fossil fuels, that's bad for Texas, so the oil industry pumps money into climate denial operations.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:14 PM

5,086 posts, read 2,287,589 times
California also has rampant wealth inequality, due largely to "protections for undocumented people." In the wealthier parts of California you have wealthy white and Asian people and poor black and brown people, and not much in between. And this is a desirable setup that should be emulated?

And the article provides no proof that coddling of illegal aliens is the reason for the large economy, they just quote Jerry Brown saying that the state is 39% hispanic. And? Man, the news(sic) media in this country has hit rock bottom.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:26 PM

3,368 posts, read 1,594,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC View Post
Sure, that's why every other person I see in my area has moved from California spouting off how horrible things are there...
I have been amazed in the past several years at the huge number if people I have met while in WA, OR, ID and TX, (and a couple in WY), with the same story.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:30 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,580,016 times
Hey OP, it's Mother's Day, not April Fool's Day. California is nearly a third world state. You're either rich or you're broke. Not much in between save for a shrinking number of areas.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:34 PM

50,135 posts, read 46,754,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I have been amazed in the past several years at the huge number if people I have met while in WA, OR, ID and TX, (and a couple in WY), with the same story.
I moved here because of the weather, surf yada yada. Once you have kids and get drilled with taxes every year to pay for the "disadvantaged" you plan your escape and take that million somewhere cheaper to live that isn't a mess. I love CA, hate the politics. I'll visit often so you'll still get my tourist money.

Old 05-14-2017, 12:35 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,580,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
HAH! Fake news has already been removed. A big fat 404 now.

The internet said it so it must be true!

I'm a born and raised Californian and, aside from Silicon Valley which is their own bubble of tech and over priced homes (much the same as DC), the state is a mess and almost bankrupt again. Even with multi billion $ tax hikes every two years since Brown took office.

If you do not live here you have no clue so stop pretending to.
I live in Illinois. Bad here, but, from what I'm hearing, you guys have it worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies