Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:15 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
The editorial did not call for violence against anyone. It is not "just chalked up as hyperbole". It is, by definition, hyperbole.
Unless you wrote the op-ed which was printed in a popular mainstream newspaper, you can't claim that it was hyperbole, nor can you claim that the article won't embolden someone to commit actual violence towards people for simply speaking abut vaccines. Quit excusing inexcusable behavior. It's embarrassing.

Quote:
By the way, during deliberations on SB 277 in California, Senator Richard Pan received actual death threats on his Facebook page, prompting the need for additional personal security for him.
Comparing random people's comments to a published op-ed written by an editor of a popular mainstream newspaper is ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:18 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,747,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And?
I think that was in response to a comment you edited out. Ignore it.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:26 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
The editorial did not call for violence against anyone. It is not "just chalked up as hyperbole". It is, by definition, hyperbole.

The antivaccinationists who lied to the Somali community and told them the MMR causes autism have actually committed violence against every child who has had measles because his parents believed the lie. Many of the sick children have been hospitalized. Since measles infection damages the immune system, all of the sick children are at risk to get other serious infections during the next two to three years. In addition, all of them are at risk to get a fatal complication of measles, subacute sclerosing panencephalitis.

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/ssp...on-of-measles/

By the way, during deliberations on SB 277 in California, Senator Richard Pan received actual death threats on his Facebook page, prompting the need for additional personal security for him.

Death threats made to office of state vaccine bill author - SFGate

"One Facebook post portrayed Pan as a Nazi and said he should be hanged by a noose. The messages were forwarded to Senate sergeants."

Did Anti-Vaxxers Spark a Measles Outbreak in an Immigrant Community?
Adults can weight both the pros and cons and make up their own minds. They can search the Net and read both the mainstream science and other views. To chose against the "preferred" science is not child abuse. If you think it is, you have never witnessed true child abuse, and that is doing far more abuse against children than saying unvaccination is abuse. Come back to me when you have had to actually report bruises and burn marks on child, as opposed to a child not being vaccinated. Sorry, not in my book it isn't. I would have been in jail myself if I did not report it. No, I would not report child abuse as a kid saying their parents don't believe in vaccinations or that it's against their religion. The two instances are not even close. Do not even attempt to compare the two.

I happen to think that "Doctor Pan" is an egotistical, power hungry man with financial ties to the Pharm Industry looking to line their pockets any way he can. He epitomizes what I detest about "doctors".

Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
That person is totally insane. Does he advocate hanging half the country for refusing Flu shots? Meanwhile Sweden voted mandatory vaccinations as Unconstitutional. I guess some here would favor banning all travel to and from Sweden because of that. BTW, Sweden also mentioned the USA and what we are doing as an example to avoid.

It seems to me that Europe is light years ahead of us on this issue.
I just looked at several links about that, all reported by anti-vax and/or wackaloon media, BTW. I had not head this before. I guess if one follows anti-vax news, one hears about this stuff.

This was not a vote of Swedish voters, it was a vote of their parliament. I will remind you we have no mandatory vaccines in the US, either, nor do we practice "forced vaccination". You may be thinking of some other country? France does fine/jail parents for not vaccinating against certain diseases.
Sweden Votes Down Mandatory Vaccination -
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...vaccine-debate

Old 05-16-2017, 06:50 PM

10,233 posts, read 6,317,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
I just looked at several links about that, all reported by anti-vax and/or wackaloon media, BTW. I had not head this before. I guess if one follows anti-vax news, one hears about this stuff.

This was not a vote of Swedish voters, it was a vote of their parliament. I will remind you we have no mandatory vaccines in the US, either, nor do we practice "forced vaccination". You may be thinking of some other country? France does fine/jail parents for not vaccinating against certain diseases.
Sweden Votes Down Mandatory Vaccination -
https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/a...vaccine-debate
The word is coercion or "consequences" as another poster likes to advocate; denial of a public education, firing from a job, denial of other medical services, higher insurance rates, domestic travel restrictions, quarantine camps, on and on. Not mandatory, but extreme coercion. Make the consequences so bad as to be unlivable in a free society.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 PM

Quote:
The word is coercion or "consequences" as another poster likes to advocate; denial of a public education, firing from a job, denial of other medical services, higher insurance rates, domestic travel restrictions, quarantine camps, on and on. Not mandatory, but extreme coercion. Make the consequences so bad as to be unlivable in a free society.
I've never heard of any of the bold. I've not even heard of anyone actually being denied public education; the schools seem to be relying on the voluntary compliance approach, and it's working in CA.
https://www.noozhawk.com/article/mor...w_law_outreach
A few nurses have been fired for refusing to vaccinate, and the courts have upheld those firings.
There are no domestic travel restrictions, that's just fear-mongering; so are "quarantine camps". In fact, the latter is ludicrous!

Old 05-16-2017, 07:23 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Unless you wrote the op-ed which was printed in a popular mainstream newspaper, you can't claim that it was hyperbole, nor can you claim that the article won't embolden someone to commit actual violence towards people for simply speaking abut vaccines. Quit excusing inexcusable behavior. It's embarrassing.
Anyone who passed middle school English should be able to recognize hyperbole when he reads it.

Quote:
Comparing random people's comments to a published op-ed written by an editor of a popular mainstream newspaper is ridiculous.
In other words, when an anti-vaxer actually makes a death threat and says a specific person should be hanged, he gets a pass? I don't think so. The state police believed the threats were credible enough that they provided additional security for Dr. Pan.

Quote:
Adults can weight both the pros and cons and make up their own minds. They can search the Net and read both the mainstream science and other views. To chose against the "preferred" science is not child abuse. If you think it is, you have never witnessed true child abuse, and that is doing far more abuse against children than saying unvaccination is abuse. Come back to me when you have had to actually report bruises and burn marks on child, as opposed to a child not being vaccinated. Sorry, not in my book it isn't. I would have been in jail myself if I did not report it. No, I would not report child abuse as a kid saying their parents don't believe in vaccinations or that it's against their religion. The two instances are not even close. Do not even attempt to compare the two.
The source of information you choose to believe about vaccines makes a difference. If the URL leads to a site selling herbs, books, and videos, be very skeptical of anything you read there.

Perhaps you have me confused with someone else. I have never mentioned child abuse in this thread, and I do not remember anyone else doing so. However, I do feel it is a parent's responsibility to protect a child to the best of his ability. If the parent does not vaccinate that child and the child suffers physically due to that decision, perhaps even dies, how is that no less abusive than inflicting bruises or burns?

Quote:
I happen to think that "Doctor Pan" is an egotistical, power hungry man with financial ties to the Pharm Industry looking to line their pockets any way he can. He epitomizes what I detest about "doctors".
Do you have any evidence to support that statement?

Dr. Pan is a pediatrician with hands on experience taking care of sick children. It is likely he has saved the lives of some of those kids.

How many lives have you done something to save?

Biography | Dr. Richard Pan

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-16-2017 at 07:38 PM..

Old 05-16-2017, 07:29 PM

Quote:

Why do you go around putting words in other people's mouths, or keyboards if you will? No one is discussing child abuse here but you.

I happen to think Dr. Wakefield, who while still retaining the title doctor for his degree cannot practice medicine any more due to his unethical, fraudulent behavior, is a psychopath.

Old 05-16-2017, 07:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,743,804 times
Quote:
Anyone who passed middle school English should be able to recognize hyperbole when he reads it.
Resorting to insulting people's intelligence in order to defend the inexcusable. Nice try.

Quote:
In other words, when an anti-vaxer actually makes a death threat and says a specific person should be hanged, he gets a pass? I don't think so. The state police believed the threats were credible enough that they provided additional security for Dr. Pan.
I'm not defending random crazies. I don't condone violence against anyone. You however are defending a professional using his or her voice to sway large numbers of people with hate speech. Defending the indefensible and excusing the inexcusable. It speaks volumes.

Old 05-16-2017, 08:12 PM

37,102 posts, read 41,261,487 times
Quote:
Resorting to insulting people's intelligence in order to defend the inexcusable. Nice try.
It was a statement of fact. The concept of hyperbole is taught at the middle school level.

The only people denying that the phrase "hanging offense" was meant as hyperbole are the anti-vax contingent. I leave it to you to decide what that means about intelligence.

Quote:
I'm not defending random crazies. I don't condone violence against anyone. You however are defending a professional using his or her voice to sway large numbers of people with hate speech. Defending the indefensible and excusing the inexcusable. It speaks volumes.
It was not "hate speech". It was a literary device not meant to be taken literally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies