Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 01:22 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Asians are the new whites.
Yep, I'm Asian/White mixed, so is my sister, we're taking over the white race!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2017, 01:25 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Jeremy Lin is referring to Harvard University as an institution, so not about encountering racism as he attending school there. His complaint, which is valid, is that Asians applying to Harvard are held to a higher standard than whites, blacks and Hispanics.

He is basically against affirmative action which mandates creating a diverse study body, since it unfairly denies Asians who are more qualified on their applications than other race students. If Asians, whites, blacks and Hispanics were all treating equally on their applications, in other words if applications to Harvard were colour-blind, the student body would be majority Asian, some whites and then much less Hispanics and blacks.
Tho the crazy part is looking at DNA: most American Indians and some Hispanics ARE at least part "Asian" like as in 25 percent or higher.

Old 05-12-2017, 01:26 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,901,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
Asians are the new whites.
Agreed tho in many Jim Crow states; Asians many times were tagged as "white".

Old 05-12-2017, 01:31 PM

4,488 posts, read 1,642,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Agreed tho in many Jim Crow states; Asians many times were tagged as "white".
Wow, you have no sense of humor, do you?

Old 05-12-2017, 01:32 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
semantics. As if immigrants and the son of an immigrant are worlds apart. Like I said, this is literally the only thing yall can even remotely take a shot at.
Believe it or not, an Asian student growing up in SF, LA or NYC is going to grow up in a very different environment than a student growing up in Seoul or Beijing. It's pretty ignorant to assert otherwise. I say this as the son of an immigrant, born and raised in NYC, among immigrants from all over the world. You have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 05-12-2017, 05:53 PM

3,304 posts, read 2,172,400 times
Asian economic and academic success in America disrupts the narrative that America is a land of White supremacy. This is the reason that the progressive media largely ignores the fact that Asians are actively discriminated against in college admissions. They purposely ignore this very real racism against Asians because the issue can't be discussed without bringing up the fact that Blacks and Hispanics are favored in college admissions.

Old 05-12-2017, 06:04 PM

3,538 posts, read 1,327,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zero View Post
Believe it or not, an Asian student growing up in SF, LA or NYC is going to grow up in a very different environment than a student growing up in Seoul or Beijing. It's pretty ignorant to assert otherwise. I say this as the son of an immigrant, born and raised in NYC, among immigrants from all over the world. You have no idea what you're talking about.
yeah, because I never see black americans and people straight from Africa hanging out together. I've never seen white american kids and kids straight from England or Australia hanging out together. I guess you're telling me when those Asian-American kids and Asian-immigrant kids were hanging out together at those Asian group meetings when I was in college...my eyes were deceiving me. LMAO.

you said
Quote:
Asian student growing up in SF, LA or NYC is going to grow up in a very different environment than a student growing up in Seoul or Beijing
you do know I was talking about Asian-americans and Asian immigrants hanging out in the us. you're talkin as if I said Leprecauns and Unicorns. LOL.

Again, this is all yall can attempt to reach on.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:39 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supachai View Post
Asian economic and academic success in America disrupts the narrative that America is a land of White supremacy. This is the reason that the progressive media largely ignores the fact that Asians are actively discriminated against in college admissions. They purposely ignore this very real racism against Asians because the issue can't be discussed without bringing up the fact that Blacks and Hispanics are favored in college admissions.
What does this have to do with Jeremy Lin being called tons of racial slurs in his basketball games during college at other Ivy League schools? And by white people EXCLUSIVELY no doubt.

Or do you plan to just skip over what the thread is actually about based on the link. Because he didn't complain about being discriminated against in admissions.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:04 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8won6 View Post
yeah, because I never see black americans and people straight from Africa hanging out together. I've never seen white american kids and kids straight from England or Australia hanging out together. I guess you're telling me when those Asian-American kids and Asian-immigrant kids were hanging out together at those Asian group meetings when I was in college...my eyes were deceiving me. LMAO.

you said
you do know I was talking about Asian-americans and Asian immigrants hanging out in the us. you're talkin as if I said Leprecauns and Unicorns. LOL.

Again, this is all yall can attempt to reach on.
Again, you have no idea what you're talking about.

Old 05-12-2017, 09:21 PM

26,494 posts, read 15,070,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Also, not sure how you spun your OP link into test scores at Harvard.

Jeremy Lin was speaking of the racist on teams and members of the crowd at Ivy league basketball games versus fans and players in the NBA.

It is not about the race wedge in admission policies you are trying to make it out to be.

He's saying that rich white Ivy league people are more blatantly racist with their comments versus NBA players and their fans.

Not sure why you spun it the way you did, unless, as I mentioned in my previous post, you are of the belief that Asians are superior to other groups of people based on their race and they deserve admission into all our top schools because of your belief of their superiority.

Also, I'll note that blacks and Latinos are not highly represented in Ivy leagues, especially not American born ones. So those spots you think should be going to Asians are being given to white Americans in excess.

It is interesting to me how some white people want to drive a racist wedge between POC based on their belief of the superiority (which is a racist belief) of Asians over other ethnic groups in America.

I advise POC posters not to fall for the okey doke because I know no Asian Americans who speak on this sort of thing and Jeremy Lin did not speak on it in the OPs link.
I am not sure how you can pick and choose what forms of racism are acceptable.

Ivy League/similar schools having fans, coaches, and even refs making/excusing racist comments......versus......those same schools making it harder for Asians to get entry into admissions......both are blatant forms of anti-Asian racism.

During a Black Lives Matter protest at Dartmouth in the library a student made a racial epithet at an Asian student for telling them to be quiet in the library.

It is systemic on their campus as seen through multiple facets.

Why is one acceptable to you?

Why are some forms of racism okay?

Last edited by michiganmoon; 05-12-2017 at 09:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies