Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You brought up a point that I haven't thought about. Trump does not seem all that attached to Barron. He is crazy about Ivanka, she is the apple of his eye, but you never see him interacting or doting on the boy. Maybe he would not try to outmoney Melania in court and fight for Barron, he probably does not want to be saddled with a 12 year old at 70 years old himself.

I too think that Melania is staying with him now for appearances. This is not a couple in love with one another, they do not even walk together. Anyone who has been in love knows how other people in love treat each other. Donald and Melania look like they live separate lives.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMUvniJvL7w
Trump only fought a divorce out with Ivana, his first wife. She wanted a LOT of money in the divorce and got most of what she wanted.

After that, Trump decided to make the money issue fatter. And wife #2 didn't come from the wealth and power Ivana did, so the million-dollar figure didn't have to be as high.

Melania will cost him more than Marla Maples did, possibly, but only because she's First Lady. But at his age, it's probably the easiest of all just to give her what she wants and stay married to her. Most 70-year old guys on their 3rd marriage do that.

And, really, their life outside of the White House was pretty well arranged for them both. I'm sure Trump misses it more than she does, by far. He didn't have a clue about what he was getting himself into, but she did.

Even if Melania moves to D.C., I'm sure she won't be living in the White House. I expect she'll have her own suite, decorated the way she wants it, in the old post office building that Trump converted into a luxury hotel.

Especially if all that gold plating in Trump Towers makes her eyes hurt. I would sure get tired of the glare, for sure. I'll bet that, given the chance, Melania would paint over a lot of that shiny gold leaf, using a much more fashionable color scheme.

It's just down the street, and it's a convenient compromise for her. Cheaper for us, too, comparitively, and the move would get the Mayor of New York off their backs.

Trump shines him on, but Melania has to live with it every day, and New Yorkers now hate her for all the money she is costing them.

Old 05-13-2017, 04:45 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
You brought up a point that I haven't thought about. Trump does not seem all that attached to Barron. He is crazy about Ivanka, she is the apple of his eye, but you never see him interacting or doting on the boy. Maybe he would not try to outmoney Melania in court and fight for Barron, he probably does not want to be saddled with a 12 year old at 70 years old himself.

I too think that Melania is staying with him now for appearances. This is not a couple in love with one another, they do not even walk together. Anyone who has been in love knows how other people in love treat each other. Donald and Melania look like they live separate lives.
Yes, tRump does not know how to be, there's no warmth, he is not a gentleman, is absorbed with himself. How they got together, as it has been discussed, seems to have been for other reasons on both ends. It's very empty.

I have envisioned that when interacting with his son, it is very light, asking how his day was, how he is doing.. prior to running off to fulfill his own needs. He is not "a Dad". So, he has supplied the child with superficiality, as if that will make up for it all. At least his mother has been there and I imagine her to have been caring, but the boy will have been affected by the whole experience and hopefully is not too screwed up. It seems as they will get away from this negativity before he is deep into his teen years, he may have the chance to experience a better situation and hopefully be positively influenced by another parental male figure.

Yes, he has had an (odd) attachment to his daughter, but you can imagine that he wasn't so involved with his other sons, either. (It's not their fault if they are screwy, it is the fault of HIM, just as his own father apparently affected him negatively).
Attached Thumbnails
Melania should be moving any day now !-image.jpeg  

Old 05-13-2017, 04:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
RE: Barron

It's none of our business how Melania raises her son, but I do agree that being super wealthy shouldn't keep a child from taking pleasure in simple things. My friends and I spent hours playing jacks, hopscotch or just bouncing a ball and skipping rope. Of course, that was a different time, before video games.

Melania once said in an interview that she used special lotion on Barron and that he wasn't a "sweatpants child." I specifically remember that because I'm a sweatpants gal. That was when Barron was only 7. However, it also sounds as if he enjoys sports and other kids stuff.

"Barron is very much a rough-and-tumble boy. On weekends, she can be found cheering him on at his early-morning baseball games, and shuffling him to playdates and golf and tennis lessons."

[url]http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/entertainment/2013/04/melania-trump-my-son-7-is-not-a-sweatpants-child/[/url]

Of course, that was before he was the president's son, so he has added exposure now. I hope the media leaves this child alone and lets him enjoy whatever time he has in the White House.

Old 05-13-2017, 05:00 PM

6,611 posts, read 3,672,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Back to Barron - there have been references to him playing golf with his father at Mar-a-Lago. I hope these accounts are accurate. Trump also referred to Barron playing on a school soccer team and therefore not wanting to transfer to another school before the end of the season. I hope that is accurate, too.

But yeah, get the kid a nice big goofy dog. Too bad the Obama girls' treehouse/playground set was removed (the Obamas offered it to the Trumps first). Barron may be a little old for playground equipment, but what boy doesn't love a treehouse??
But see, tRump did not want their lives to actually be experienced at the WH. You are trying to normalize things expected by typical families. He doesn't even like it there himself and everything is dictated by HIM, being controlling and self-serving. He likely didn't want to keep anything left by the Obamas and is also not the type who would relate to the experience of having pets. He is an empty shell of a person.

Old 05-14-2017, 04:27 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by In2itive_1 View Post
But see, tRump did not want their lives to actually be experienced at the WH. You are trying to normalize things expected by typical families. He doesn't even like it there himself and everything is dictated by HIM, being controlling and self-serving. He likely didn't want to keep anything left by the Obamas and is also not the type who would relate to the experience of having pets. He is an empty shell of a person.
That's true.

Throughout the campaign, Trump firmly believed he could remain in his old life in NYC, only needing to fly to Washington for a few days a week as necessary. As a total novice, of course he had no idea of what the job he was seeking really entailed, so his ignorance allowed him to think that his life wouldn't completely upend.

I remember how shocked both Trump and his wife were when they visited the White House and Congress for the first time. Melania was obviously terrified, as she clung to he husband with desperation, and Trump was pale. The Senators who surrounded him were at ease, perfectly comfortable in their familiar stomping grounds, but the Trumps looked like a couple of visitors from some small foreign country more that the President-elect and his wife.
Right then, I saw she didn't want any part of this business and this life. Her look reminded me of those pictures of refugees after being fished out of the Mediterranean. A lot of the other actions during the transition showed the same things- both as a couple in constant surprise at what their lives were going to be, what their responsibilities entailed, and their discomfort in being surrounded by so many strangers they were going to be intimately connected to so quickly.

Both were familiar with some things, like the need for bodyguards, chauffeurs, a lot of service staff and the like. That was a part of their lives in NYC. But more things were strange, new, and alien to them, especially Melania.
Trump faced it all with his bravado shield, but Melania had no bravado.
A politician's wife with a lot of experience in the life has a hard adjustment into the role of First Lady, especially if they are women who don't want to be in the spotlight; Pat Nixon, Rosalynn Carter, Barbara Bush, and many others may have been by their husband's side throughout the long journey to the White House, but once there, they stayed away from the spotlight, dutifully doing their jobs as First Ladies, not calling attention to themselves.
But all of them had some understanding of what they were getting into long before their husbands ever decided to run. For everyone but the Trumps, the White House was only the highest step on the ladder they had been climbing for most of their lives as a couple.

Professional politicians and their wives grow accustomed, once they become a Governor, a Senator, or reach any of the highest levels of the job, to living in spaces that don't belong to them. Their real home is always somewhere else. Their current residence is only temporary.

They all adjust to it. The wives remind me of military wives- they all learn how to pack up their families fast, travel light, and bring a few things with them that make them all the most comfortable as a family as soon as that stuff is unpacked. The women, if they have kids still in school, already know how to get them settled in, and how to help the kids adjust to new surroundings.

Donald Trump must have been hugely distressed with the realization that the White House wasn't ever going to be his home. He's worked from his home for most of his life, and he has always owned his home. Suddenly, he was in a house that's a national institution where there is nothing permanent in it except for some of the staff. Everyone else is temporary.
Maybe hanging the gold curtains in the Oval Office sufficed for his working day, but I'm sure Trump feels very alone, isolated, and uncomfortable in the Presidential living quarters. He has spent his entire life in NYC, looking down from above in luxurious apartments onto the crowded streets below.

Melania is even more uncomfortable. NYC is really all she knows in her American life. She adapted to her new life, but most of our nation remains as strange and unknown to her as a life in New Zealand would be for her.

I think Trump's increasing instability is a response to these shocks. Melania had the option of refusal, and since she hasn't lived in America all her life, she doesn't care about any of the traditions or the expectations that being a First Lady bring. So she just exercised her option, and refused to move in after making a few vague promises to arrive someday soon.

They had things as a couple all worked out between them in their old lives, so each was psychologically comfortable in NYC. Melania hates D.C. and everything in it. She won't go through the motions, because she doesn't even know what the expected motions are for her there. But she does in NYC.

Trump is stuck in a house he will never own, surrounded by people who haven't been by his side all is life, and his favorite daughter and son-in-law aren't there at his beck and call anymore. They're doing their best, but they have their own family, and they're not living with Dad anymore. Neither are his other sons and daughters.
And his wife said "Hell, no, I won't go!" in Slovenian. Then she said "And you can't make me!"

He must be the loneliest guy in the city. That would be sad if he was a common man, with a common job. But I think the situation poses a danger to this nation. The guy has always used anger to have his way with everyone, and we are now seeing an isolated, angry, unstable man who has a lot of ability to do tremendous damage in many ways.
Common men who vent their anger may do so by breaking some furniture, yelling irresponsibly at underlings, fighting with the old lady and the kids, or retreating to the man cave to get drunk or sulk. None of it affects anyone outside a common man's small circle very much.

But they aren't the President of the United States. That guy can vent to the wrong person at the wrong time and blow up much of the planet before the sun comes up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies