Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2008, 02:47 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,551,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
Genocide, what about that concept don't you understand? Genocide encompasses more than the wanton killing of many people of the same group, there is an ideology behind it. What do you think was the ideology behind the genocidal actions of whites? They didn't just kill native Americans because they wanted their land, those actions were part and parcel of an overall program.

I mean, this isn't rocket science, it's American freakin' history!! It's really not terribly difficult to understand. But I think that is precisely the problem, it seems that you haven't taken the time to understand your own history.
I am white, and my wife is American Indian. She's 'still alive", so missed the 'genocide'. I think you're overstating the case a LITTLE...not totally, but a LITTLE.

I doubt what happened in the US was a true example of 'genocide'...it was terrible, it was unfeeling, it probably couldn't happen again..but I'd come up short of calling it true, systematic, organized genocide.

In the first place, "whites" (particularly American ones) were never really organized enough to agree on something that single-minded anyway. MUCH of what went on was simply the fallout of a technically-advanced culture overwhelming one LESS advanced in technology. Some of it was genuine misunderstanding, such as the signing of 'treaties' regarding land rights, etc, with folks whose culture many times had NO CONCEPT of 'private property' or 'individual ownership' of land, or anything else.

My wife is well aware of this historical 'baggage', and in a way I've always admired, has simply found a way to put the past behind her, realizing that she's PROBABLY far better off in 'modern' society than she'd have been 'back then". Not everyone can take this 'positive' outlook (I have trouble with it myself). But it's really the 'only way to go', and for that, I HAVE to admire her (we're in our 38th year together).

Bad as America's treatment of its natives has been, I doubt it could be classified as true 'genocide'....and there HAVE been sincere efforts to 'atone' for it. It's hard to picture two so VERY different cultures coming together 300 years ago, and NOT 'clashing' horribly, long before the modern concept of 'civil rights' came into practice. Life was ugly and 'tough', and we can best honor those who suffered then by not repeating the mistakes of that time.

Old 03-09-2008, 02:48 PM
miu

17,766 posts, read 40,152,606 times
Back on topic! So maybe this is more about how our soldiers are coming back with mental problems. War is bad, that's old news.

WHDH-TV - National News - Mother of man charged in Auburn University student death offers apology to victim's family

Quote:
COLUMBUS, Ga. -- The mother of the man charged with killing an Auburn University student said her son was an Iraq war veteran who was changed after his service, and offered an apology to the freshman's family.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:02 PM

1,679 posts, read 2,542,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunkel25 View Post
Well, actually, the guy I was replying to seemed to think that slave masters spent all their spare time raping their female slaves and then slicing open their wombs to get rid of the children (what kind of sense would that make if those children could be sold or raised to work the plantations?).
It happened many times to black slave women and did you hear me say that it happened to all of them-of course not-they had to have those strong black bucks to carry on the labor in the field. This is how the white man was allowed to acquire his wealth.

I struck a nerve with you because I educated you about a violent act that happened by the hands of white slave masters, it makes your blood curdle does it not? It would for anyone that has any human emotion. You really do not know that much about the history of the ill treatment of black slaves over here in America, do you? Your replies indicate that you are ignorant and possibly void of any conscious feelings about life.

I understand that you have not had an interest in learning the past history of black slaves here in America because it is not a significant event regarding your own, so with that said I will no longer be responding to your threads. This has been a conscious decision that I have made to ensure that I remain in dialogue with those who are opened to hear, be informed about something they did not know, or just want to share differences of opinion, and not be ill tempered or angry with their replies. I am to engaged with others who are logical and open minded to state their views who do not sound incompetent or ignorant nor insensitive. PLEASE CARRY ON!! With someone else that is!! As of this minute you are considered null and void-delete button pushed!!

Last edited by Heaveno; 03-09-2008 at 03:28 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Back on topic! So maybe this is more about how our soldiers are coming back with mental problems. War is bad, that's old news.

WHDH-TV - National News - Mother of man charged in Auburn University student death offers apology to victim's family
There will be many of these acts of violence taking place because of this war, unfortunately. I cannot speak to all the acts of violence committed after Desert Storm or Vietnam due to post traumatic stress disorder, but I know that these acts of violence did occur-not sure about the numbers or how often.

These are the times we are living in people. Many times men and women enter the service with some mental frailties and come out-MENTALLY BROKE!! No help upon returning is not good. I wonder if they have to get a mental assessment conducted before they are released to the civilian population. Can anyone answer this question? I of course will do the research to understand or gain knowledge about what happens when they return home. I am certain a physical takes place, but it seems that they would definitely have to have a psychological diagnosis completed-not stating that if they do that all is mentally stable and healthy. Clever humans can trick the tester or the professional asking the questions and go right out afterwards and kill up a bunch of folk. The human mind is fascinating.

Old 03-09-2008, 03:47 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heaveno View Post
It happened many times to black slave women and did you hear me say that it happened to all of them-of course not-they had to have those strong black bucks to carry on the labor in the field. This is how the white man was allowed to acquire his wealth.
Then we agree..slaves were a valuable piece of property, so any willful destruction of them, in whatever way, was probably relatively rare.

Quote:
I struck a nerve with you because I educated you about a violent act that happened by the hands of white slave masters, it makes your blood curdle does it not? It would for anyone that has any human emotion. You really do not know that much about the history of the ill treatment of black slaves over here in America, do you? Your replies indicate that you are ignorant and possibly void of any conscious feelings about life.
lol

Quote:
I understand that you have not had an interest in learning the past history of black slaves here in America because it is not a significant event regarding your own, so with that said I will no longer be responding to your threads. This has been a conscious decision that I have made to ensure that I remain in dialogue with those who are opened to hear, be informed about something they did not know, or just want to share differences of opinion, and not be ill tempered or angry with their replies. I am to engaged with others who are logical and open minded to state their views who do not sound incompetent or ignorant nor insensitive. PLEASE CARRY ON!! With someone else that is!! As of this minute you are considered null and void-delete button pushed!!
And...lol again.

Ok, if you need to make up excuses to avoid discussion, that's fine with me. You obviously have made up your mind about things, so there's no point in carrying on. If your view of history gives you warm fuzzies, why challenge it, right?

Old 03-09-2008, 04:00 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacredgrooves View Post
Wow...original poster blames a race of people, and another one-ups them and blames half of an entire species!
You beat me to it.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:14 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,858,303 times
Quote:

Wow. I've read your posts and you are obsessed with the past. It is 2008. Most of us know basic US History.

Maybe a hobby would help.

Old 03-09-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Wow. I've read your posts and you are obsessed with the past. It is 2008. Most of us know basic US History.

Maybe a hobby would help.
I really understand why you may feel this way, but the historical context of any given situation must be considered or documented to explain present or future events. This is what we learn in higher education or academia. This is what lends credibility to any scholarly publication I have presented or published, without historical context -it is considered to be insignificant and has no merit. Of course there is much more involved with research. The past must be referred to when writing about most events and researching a subject matter is one of my greatest interest. The inquiry of knowledge is ongoing for me and I immensely enjoy learning about the history of any given event and how it has an impact upon future learning.

I learned early on to understand the how, when, why, where, what and who. My Dad was a history buff, so not to refer to historical context is not my way of learning or discussing present events or situations. When working with families, I have to understand their historical context to understand why they may be healthy and doing well or why they may be unhealthy and failing in many areas of their life.

Last edited by Heaveno; 03-09-2008 at 06:14 PM..

Old 03-09-2008, 06:42 PM

1,080 posts, read 1,711,142 times
Quote:
I really understand why you may feel this way, but the historical context of any given situation must be considered or documented to explain present or future events. This is what we learn in higher education or academia. This is what lends credibility to any scholarly publication I have presented or published, without historical context -it is considered to be insignificant and has no merit. Of course there is much more involved with research. The past must be referred to when writing about most events and researching a subject matter is one of my greatest interest. The inquiry of knowledge is ongoing for me and I immensely enjoy learning about the history of any given event and how it has an impact upon future learning.

I learned early on to understand the how, when, why, where, what and who. My Dad was a history buff, so not to refer to historical context is not my way of learning or discussing present events or situations. When working with families, I have to understand their historical context to understand why they may be healthy and doing well or why they may be unhealthy and failing in many areas of their life.
Knowing history is good. To know where you're going, you have to know where you've come from. But if you're constantly looking in the rearview mirror, it's hard to keep moving forward...

Old 03-09-2008, 07:03 PM

5,500 posts, read 10,517,156 times
socioeconomics........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies